Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of moving to the Big Island

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Big Island (Kona area). We have 4 children ages 8, 10, 12 & 13. We are fed up with life in South Carolina and the way that family values are going along with everything else in this state (usually at the botom of all state rankings). We want a more simple, slower pace life but are not sure that Hawaii is the right place for us and our kids. We know that most of the other islands are too expensive (I have an uncle that lives on Maui). We enjoy outdoor activities but where we live now you have to deal with hoards of mosquitoes and 98 degree + days with high humidity in the summer and cold, wet, nasty days in the winter. Would the Big Island be a good place for our family as far as being able to fit in well, schools, kid friendly, affordabilty, real estate?

We would appreciate your thoughts!
    Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Originally posted by cougar88nw
    My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Big Island (Kona area). We have 4 children ages 8, 10, 12 & 13. Would the Big Island be a good place for our family as far as being able to fit in well, schools, kid friendly, affordabilty, real estate?

We've got mosquitos. We've got humidity. Heck, on the Big Island we've got coqui frogs! We don't have affordable real estate, and Kona is one of the most expensive areas. And have you looked at Hawaii's school rankings? I'd suggest, because you are privileged to be the parents of four maleable children, that you research Hawaii's school system first and foremost as your kids are your greatest responsibility. Family values--well if you call multi-generational living family values, we've got that.

We've got ice, meth, pakalolo, and the Big Island is where you find it most. What line of work are you in? Could you find that job on the Big Island? Just curious as to why Hawaii has risen to the top of your selection list. How about Costa Rica? New Jersey's got great schools! Delaware has no sales tax! Utah is the land of family values. California loves almost everyone. I drove through Arkansas once. It's beautiful.

Moving a family is a huge life-altering decision. Be deliberate and weigh all the options. And if you ever want to go back to the east coast to visit family, count on an average of $600-$800 per person per round trip ticket!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Big Island (Kona area). We have 4 children ages 8, 10, 12 & 13. We are fed up with life in South Carolina and the way that family values are going along with everything else in this state (usually at the botom of all state rankings). We want a more simple, slower pace life but are not sure that Hawaii is the right place for us and our kids. We know that most of the other islands are too expensive (I have an uncle that lives on Maui). We enjoy outdoor activities but where we live now you have to deal with hoards of mosquitoes and 98 degree + days with high humidity in the summer and cold, wet, nasty days in the winter. Would the Big Island be a good place for our family as far as being able to fit in well, schools, kid friendly, affordabilty, real estate?

I'm not sure if the Kona side has a slower pace than where you are in South Carolina. It sure ain't as slow as it used to be even a decade ago.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

If you don't want to be overwhelmed by rampant development and tourists, Kona wouldn't be my first choice, either. And having the kids...yoicks. Making that kind of move is a major major decision. If it was just you and hubby, it'd be less of a big deal. But as has been mentioned previously, the public school system in Hawai'i ain't that hot, real estate is very expensive and the cost of living is considerably higher (and wages considerably lower) than on the Mainland.

Why not move to Texas? or up to North Carolina? Real estate would definitely be cheaper and the kids wouldn't have as much "cultural shock" moving to either of those states. I liked the western part of North Carolina (Cherokee County) when I visited it a few years back. It's a rapidly growing area, but it's also in beautiful country...the Smokies are in the back yard and the people are really really friendly. It's also only about 2 hours away from Atlanta if you need a big city fix every now and then.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My husband is an auto tech and he owned his on auto repair shop for ten years which he just sold last month. My uncle who lives on Maui said we might like it and should give it a try but I think maybe he just wants a really good mechanic he can trust.(ha!ha!) Our main concern is our kids though and from what I have read so far this might not be for us. I was thinking of home schooling but would probably have to get a full time job to help out with the cost of living. Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

My husband is an auto tech and he owned his on auto repair shop for ten years which he just sold last month. My uncle who lives on Maui said we might like it and should give it a try but I think maybe he just wants a really good mechanic he can trust.(ha!ha!) Our main concern is our kids though and from what I have read so far this might not be for us. I was thinking of home schooling but would probably have to get a full time job to help out with the cost of living. Thanks for the input so far.
            It depends on where it is in Kona you want to move to. Kailua is costly, but South Kona (like Ocean View) is cheaper, but more rural(Water catchment and dirt roads).
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

We know that most of the other islands are too expensive.... Would the Big Island be a good place for our family as far as being able to fit in well, schools, kid friendly, affordabilty, real estate?
              Well, since you asked.....

It depends on what you call "affordable". We might help you better if you gave us an idea of what price range you'd find acceptible for your budget/saving. Are you going to try to buy or rent?

Ditto for "schools", is private school within your budget? Most of our public schools rank very low. You can find info on schools online (do some searches on "Hawaii schools"). Yes, there are private school options, but would you need to go to work or your husband take a 2nd job in order to afford the tuition? How would that affect your family lifestyle? These are the sort of hard decisions that you'll need to make.

Your husband shouldn't have much of a problem getting a job - mechanics are always needed! But, would he be upset if you lived further outside of Kona (where it is less expensive) and thus had to drive an hour each way to work? We are not called the "Big Island" without a reason! Gas is approx $3/gal + or -. How's that budget holding up??

The Big Island is a really wonderful place, but with four children to consider, you'll want to do some serious research. Taking a trip here, before making a move, might help. If I were you, I'd rather "blow" $3,000 on a trip and possibly decide to "not" make the move, than make the move only to discover that Hawaii Island was not the right place for my family after spending much more than $3,000 in moving/resettling expenses.

Give us some more information and maybe we can come up with more specific suggestions.

Comment

We would be selling pretty much everything we own and that is a ton (would be nice to get rid of the excess bagage). We would have at least $300,000 to start with in hopes of buying a house and not having a large mortgage pymt. We live in a rural setting now and would rather stay in that type of setting but I don't know about the hour drive to work and back. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again if we can help it. We don't live high on the hog now and are use to a tight budget. We are looking at other areas in the U.S. and just want somewhere nice for us to raise our kids and be able to enjoy doing things together outside more often for a healthier lifestyle without the rat race running our lives. My uncle said his life is more laid back on Maui than it was in S.C. but I don't know if it would be for us. Thanks for everyone's input, it is helping us make a major choice by being better informed.

Comment

We would be selling pretty much everything we own and that is a ton (would be nice to get rid of the excess bagage). We would have at least $300,000 to start with in hopes of buying a house and not having a large mortgage pymt. We live in a rural setting now and would rather stay in that type of setting but I don't know about the hour drive to work and back. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again if we can help it. We don't live high on the hog now and are use to a tight budget. We are looking at other areas in the U.S. and just want somewhere nice for us to raise our kids and be able to enjoy doing things together outside more often for a healthier lifestyle without the rat race running our lives. My uncle said his life is more laid back on Maui than it was in S.C. but I don't know if it would be for us. Thanks for everyone's input, it is helping us make a major choice by being better informed.
                  If you want to avoid the "rat race," moving to Kona might not be the wisest decision. Hilo or Puna would probably be a better fit; however, you'd have to deal with the rain, mosquitoes, coqui frogs, and low-ranked schools.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

With the financial resources you've stated, you'll have a pretty easy time getting settled here!! Get in contact with a realtor now, get some internet correspondence going with them, do some research, and then take a "working vacation" to the Big Island. While on "vacation", you can check out specific ideas that you've developed (areas that you can afford, distances to work/school, school rankings, piped water vs catchment, utility company electricity vs generator, homeowners insurance and potential insurance problems in different areas, etc). See if you like any of the choices.

With your substancial $$ you will be able to choose from many communities, rural to modern subdivision. Find a good realtor.

Good luck.

Comment

Just curious, what's the deal with coqui frogs??? Since they have been mentioned several times along with mosquitoes they must be pretty bad pains.

Comment

Just curious, what's the deal with coqui frogs??? Since they have been mentioned several times along with mosquitoes they must be pretty bad pains.
                        Coqui frogs are a pain only if you want to get a good night's sleep without the incessant screeching of those little buggers keeping you awake. The Big Island is the only island that has been overrun with the little hoppers thus far.

Taking a "working vacation" to the Big Island before you decide on settling there is an excellent idea. I worry especially about your kids, and especially if they are 100% Caucasian. Very often kids who don't look like the rest of their peers get picked on, no matter where in this country they might land, but it seems more prevalent in smaller schools in smaller towns in Hawai'i.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Big Island Of Hawaii
                          Plenty room, Kona area, land cost higher than in the Hilo area.
                          Hilo area lots of rain, Kona side you might adjust better climate wise almost like So. Calif. GOOD LUCK, OGGBOY
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Just curious, what's the deal with coqui frogs???
                            Check out:
                            http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinhawaii/species/frogs/
                            You read about and "listen" at that site. Coqui frogs have been found on Maui, Hawaii Island, and Oahu, so far.

Comment

Thanks for the link! Very interesting sound they make; don't think it would bother me too much though cause we live near a pond with plenty of frogs that I like to listen to only it gets too hot and humid quick so you can't have the windows open to hear them.

Comment

Working...
                              X