Best honolulu shore fishing spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best honolulu shore fishing spots

read that the fishing ban for shore fishing is lifted for a year in southern oahu.what areas/piers/jetties are good to catch some dinner and what are the common edible fish one hooks?also do people catch crabs,clams,
    lobsters,etc. for food and how about edible seaweed?

Re: best honolulu shore fishing spots

I'm more a North Shore fisherman, or was, but have fished the South Shore a few times out Kakaako ways and out past Sandy Beach. Only caught Moana and Humuhumu. Nothing to jump for joy over.

Brother went out to Bamboo Ridge for night fishing. You fish right off the coastal rock shelf right into deep water, out Blow Hole side. Caught a nice sized something, reeled it in, looked at it, screamed and cut the line. Said he never saw a fish that ugly before and didn't want to touch it. <LOL>

Clams, you missed it by around 75 years. No more clam grounds like they used to. Oysters are no longer edible. Only found them in Pearl Harbor. Last time I ate "fresh" PH oysters was back in 69. Of course we got sick. Easy to find at night as they glow. <LOL> Most of the good crab, you need a boat. Some are still catching Samoan crabs at the mouths of some of the larger rivers. Lobster, I dove the South Shore a few times, but never saw any. Went out with a boat and jumped right into a swarm of sea wasps (small stinging jellyfish). Never went back.

Edible seaweed. Hard to find nowdays. Used to have large ogo beds outside Ewa Beach. Once or twice a year the tide would bring in free floating seaweed and pile them up on Ewa Beach's shores. Scores of people would come out with burlap bags and dig through the piles harvesting ogo and a couple of other less popular varieties. Those ogo beds are long gone because of greed. People used boats to go out to the ogo beds and ripped the plants out by the roots, not caring that if they left a little, the plant would grow back within a year. You can find these seaweeds at markets and are produced by commercial seaweed farmers. They really don't taste the same.

I'm still the cynic. The shorelines are basically fished out. A short moratorium isn't going to bring it back to the way it was. If the fish population did increase, you can bet the greedy few are going to sneak out there on their boats and lay a net. Saw a lot of that kind of action at some of the popular fishing spots on the North Shore. 2 guys, one boat and hundreds of yards of net. No more fish. Say 25 years ago, you could still be confident that you'd bring home a couple of papio or a few mo'i. Good eating fish. A really nice dinner. Nowdays, I stay home and work around the house or do yardwork and buy my fish from Tamura's.

Comment

oy!guess a crowded island like oahu would have a lot of fishing and edible collecting pressure over the years.think will get a small boat or kayak to go offshore a little and read about freshwater lakes with cats and bass and even oscars,which i have had in aquariums so could never eat one.one day i would like to buy enough land to dig and stock my own backyard pond so i would be the only one the fish would have to worry about.interested in self-sufficiency and aquaculture and a vegetable garden,chickens,rabbits,and tilapia and crawfish in a small pond would be a cost saver over grocery prices.

Comment

You got the bucks?...go for it. We have a couple of friends living up in the Kohala area of the Big Island. They just packed up and left their place in the Bay area. They've been getting into something very similar to what you're interested in except no meat. Mostly fruits and vegies, some exotic and they use what they grow to barter with other farmers and local fishermen. They are not poor or hippies. The guy has his own very successful web design company or graphic design or whatever. Main office is still in San Francisco. The wife is a successful artist. Both have green thumbs. We still have a standing invitation to visit the several acres that they bought and live on. One of these days.....

Comment

Honolulu has been raped by "da locals". No more fish.

Aloha

Comment

Tanioka's! Nuff said!

Mahalo,
            Scott
            www.sportshawaii.com
            "Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"
            Last edited by admin; August 29, 2007, 08:54 PM. Reason: Removed ridiculous image.
            Mahalo,
            Scott
            SPORTS HAWAII
            "Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Comment

You can still hook moi off N. Shore of Oahu. Prepared mine en papillote a few months back. There are also large wild freshwater prawns to you can hook in the mountain streams of Haleiwa. Very tasty sauteed in butter and garlic.

I frequently see people crabbing and fishing in Kapalama Canal. I suppose there are worse places you could go for tilapia and Samoan crab.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Today in Ward Marukai they had freshly caught (quote) "Local Hook & Line Menpachi" for $8.99/lb. Had at least 30 Menpachi (total) in stock. Sold in trays of two whole fish.. average size...about 6" each. Healthy-looking specimens. I was gonna' buy some and steam or pan-fry da' buggahz with some ponzu, green onion, ginger and garlic. Ended up getting some fresh snapper fillets instead.

(If you care to disclose)... So where in Hawaii is currently the best place to catch Menpachi? I'm not a fisherman, but just curious. Also, what's the best way fo' get 'em? Net, spear or hook-and-line?

Also, if you have any good Menpachi recipes, share please. I wanna' get some tomorrow for the upcoming weekend cookout! This Lemon Misoyaki Menpachi recipe looks pretty good.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Best honolulu shore fishing spots

My favorite place is Kaena Point but I go via boat.

Used to do a lot of diving and a lot of spearing. As the years went by we got picky. And we switched over to lines and hooks. We trashed all our gill nets more than 20 years ago as we didn't like the excessive and indiscriminate take.

On a recent trip we caught a 25-pound ono trolling enroute to our dive area. After we got it on ice we wondered if we should go diving since we already got a decent fish.

We went diving anyway and I don't think my friend shot anything. I know I never even pulled the trigger once. Either the fish wasn't up to par or, if it was, there was a large rock or something behind it and I didn't feel like damaging my spear point.

Where we go we almost always use hook & line. Not as much diving. We've never been whitewashed yet. There's always fish where we go. But then we go to a place that's not popular and we're very selective. Most of the things we hook get tossed back. And the funny part is that there's a particular type of "rubbish fish" that we found to be pretty good eating. These fish are a real nuisance sometimes and there's a lot of them. Probably because no one else wants them. But we'll keep the bigger ones.

Comment

Working...
                  X