Returning to Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Oahu

After being on the mainland for nearly two years (WA state), I will be returning to Kailua on the windward side of Oahu this summer, after I receive my high school diploma. I already have one job lined up at a Golf Course on the base (The Klipper) and I am also going to get a second job. I am only 18 and this is the first time I have been on my own and I am not quite sure what I am getting into. I plan on renting a room in Kailua in the range of 400-600 dollars a month, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also here are some pictures of my beloved pyramid rock, and North Beach!

PYRAMID ROCK-

KLIPPER GOLF COURSE AND NORTH BEACH-

NORTH BEACH AND THE COVE-

PYRAMID ROCK-

Re: Returning to Oahu

E komo mai to HawaiiThreads.com!!

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on rentals but I just wanted to say welcome and mahalo for sharing your photos....I especially like the one of the golf course!!
    Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by waiz4kooks
      I am only 18 and this is the first time I have been on my own and I am not quite sure what I am getting into.
      When you say "return to Kailua," are you originally from Hawaii? Or spent a lot of time here previously? That's a significant advantage of course, especially if you have some support system here... old friends, family. And good for you for having a job waiting, though a second job definitely is a smart strategy.

Striking out on your own for the first time is scary, but usually a pretty good adventure... you're young, hopefully free of too many entanglements, and can afford to experiment, fail, and try again. Entry level jobs are pretty easy to get in Honolulu -- "help wanted" signs everywhere. So you should have the chance to do many things, if the first thing doesn't work out.

As for renting a room, $400-$600 seems a reasonable budget, given the room/share listings on the Honolulu Craigslist site. Of course, you could also just rent a closet!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        When you say "return to Kailua," are you originally from Hawaii? Or spent a lot of time here previously? That's a significant advantage of course, especially if you have some support system here... old friends, family. And good for you for having a job waiting, though a second job definitely is a smart strategy.

Striking out on your own for the first time is scary, but usually a pretty good adventure... you're young, hopefully free of too many entanglements, and can afford to experiment, fail, and try again. Entry level jobs are pretty easy to get in Honolulu -- "help wanted" signs everywhere. So you should have the chance to do many things, if the first thing doesn't work out.

As for renting a room, $400-$600 seems a reasonable budget, given the room/share listings on the Honolulu Craigslist site. Of course, you could also just rent a closet!
        Yes, I lived I lived there for 5 years, attended KIS, and Kalaheo HS my Freshmen and Sophmore year, I do have alot of close family friends in Kailua, but alot of my own friends are already gone or are leaving since they all lived on an existing marine base . I think that it won't be as hard striking out on my own since I don't have any attachments like you said. I need to get ahold of the Honolulu Star Bulletin, there are way more room listings in there than on their website.

Comment

Sounds like, in a way, you're coming home... and your familiarity with Hawaii and the friends who remain will be great assets to you.

I need to get ahold of the Honolulu Star Bulletin, there are way more room listings in there than on their website.
          I know there are lots of other listings, but Craigslist is fun! Anyway, you can scan the listings from the Star-Bulletin here, and the Advertiser here. There are room for rent listings at Rentals Illustrated, too (though they're not easy to find -- sort by price). The Honolulu Weekly has listings occasionally, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Sounds like, in a way, you're coming home... and your familiarity with Hawaii and the friends who remain will be great assets to you.

I know there are lots of other listings, but Craigslist is fun! Anyway, you can scan the listings from the Star-Bulletin here, and the Advertiser here. There are room for rent listings at Rentals Illustrated, too (though they're not easy to find -- sort by price). The Honolulu Weekly has listings occasionally, too.

Thank you so much for the craigs list thing, and the other links you provided I am looking at them right now.

Comment

Working...
            X