Hau'oli la hanau, Hokule'a!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hau'oli la hanau, Hokule'a!

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the first sailing to Hokule'a from Hawai'i to Tahiti. Over the span of the last 30 years, Nainoa Thompson and his intrepid crew from the Polynesian Voyaging Society have done much to increase the understanding and appreciation of the art of ocean voyaging and in the process have taught many of Hawai'i's school children about the original ancestors of the kanaka maoli and their journeys to Hawai'i.

In April, Hokule'a will begin another voyage to Tahiti from Honolua, Maui. I hope they have a very safe passage and spread more aloha and appreciation for ocean voyaging among more people throughout the Pacific. I hope someday Hokule'a and Hawai'iloa can make another voyage up and down the West Coast, too. When they landed in Seattle in the summer of 1996 it truly was a glorious experience to witness the crews come ashore and be welcomed by representatives of the local Native American tribes with chants and songs.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; March 5, 2006, 11:16 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hau'oli la hanau, Hokule'a!

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Burgandy
      .................................................. .................................................. ....
      Um, thanks for sharing that.
      I think.

EDIT: Oops. My bad, sort of. I thought that Ron's note was the first one in the thread.
      Last edited by LikaNui; April 24, 2006, 01:31 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Burgandy
        Wat da hell? Das da first time I ever saw a post lil' dat.

First post too. Hmmm...possible first to be banned from Space.

Auntie Alyn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The trip was cancelled at this time. I have a friend that was going , but due to to court appearances needed by main crew it cannot be at this time. But the Polynesian Voyaging Society is the coolest thing to come around since ... Anyways hope they can make the trip soon. BTW: Long ago they proved the point of the Polynesians populating the various islands through long ocean voyages. Now it's to show the youngsters the reality.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
          X