Aloha from the land of tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from the land of tumbleweed

I have come across this site/forum a number of times but hadn't thought about joining until recently. I had posted something on another site about a project I'm doing, and someone was nice enough to recommend this place to me. Being part Portagee and always wanting to "talk story", and me always being homesick, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to join this community and hopefully make some new friends and make some connections along the way.

A bit about me. I am originally from O'ahu, having lived in Ewa Beach and Nu'uanu, but I consider Pauoa my home. I went to Nu'uanu Elementary from 1975-1977, and Royal Elementary from 1977-1982. Went to Kawananakoa Intermediate from 1982-1984, before my mom moved us to the mainland, and it is Washington State where I still reside. My father had died in 1983, and my mom had felt it was time to move on to a new place. Yet even with that time away, I long to be back home, and those week-long vacations aren't enough.

I've always been a music nut, and I've always loved writing. I've combined the two and have been a music journalist for 21 years, becoming one of the original contributing editors to the "All Music Guide" in 1992, and getting Sunday Manoa into the book. I had been in a radio/TV production class in high school and was able to use that TV information to become a news producer for a local ABC affiliate, a position which I held for four years.

As a writer, I've been published in over 70 different publications, many of them small fanzines but I've made my way into a few major music magazines, including "Goldmine", "The Rocket", and "Discoveries". I've made a small presence on the internet with some of the websites and mailing lists I've done, including a section I had on my site called "Hawaiian Music Corner".

As a music artist, I create hip-hop/electronic music under the name Crut and have done so for 14 years. I'm currently working with a small label in Chicago towards an EP to be released later in the year, with an album to follow. Those who know me would prefer that I sing Hawaiian falsetto, and perhaps if I ever get the guts to move away from the computers and turntables, I will. I'm a fan of tangled wires, so for now I'll remain within.

Whether it's my music or my writing, I've always represented Hawai'i in everything I do, trying to shed light on my experiences back home when it has often felt like, outside of family, I'm the only one who knows what I'm talking about. At times it has always become a means of being political, to say "I'm Hawaiian and I'm proud", when there are those on the mainland who still ask how long it takes to drive to and from Hawai'i. They may know of the stereotypes, but not the truth and realities of what I grew up with. In terms of politics, I was the one responsible for letting people in Hawai'i know about the writer here in the Tri-Cities who, after 9/11, called Hawaiians unpatriotic and people who did nothing but climb trees and play 'ukulele all day.

Outside of that, I'm a fairly humble guy, kinda momona, single (and still looking), and always trying to discover new things.

As for family, I still have much ohana back home on my mom's and dad's side.

I am Hawaiian/Chinese/Portuguese/Filipino/German/Austrian, and had I stayed there for high school, I would've been a Roosevelt High grad.

I came here to talk about some of the book projects that I'm currently doing, which involve Hawai'i and Hawaiian things. I wanted to introduce myself before I do that, plus I don't only want to be here for that too. I'll get into the book projects down the line.

===
    I'm not sure when I'll be back home, I haven't been back since October 2000. With some of the things I'm doing now, I'd like to return later this year to meet with some people I've been wanting to meet for my books, unwind a bit, and "fill up the reserves".

I'll browse the boards again and get familiar with the format, topics, and the people.

Re: Aloha from the land of tumbleweed

Aloha & Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya
      In terms of politics, I was the one responsible for letting people in Hawai'i know about the writer here in the Tri-Cities who, after 9/11, called Hawaiians unpatriotic and people who did nothing but climb trees and play 'ukulele all day.
      Ah, the Karen Zacharias column. I remember it well.

Welcome to HawaiiThreads! Sounds like from your introduction, you've got more than a few stories to share, and a flair for telling them! I hope you'll find a home away from home here.

Comment

Eh welcome to the HawaiiThreads.com forum!!
        Lovena

Comment

I have come across this site/forum a number of times but hadn't thought about joining until recently. I had posted something on another site about a project I'm doing, and someone was nice enough to recommend this place to me. Being part Portagee and always wanting to "talk story", and me always being homesick, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to join this community and hopefully make some new friends and make some connections along the way.

A bit about me. I am originally from O'ahu, having lived in Ewa Beach and Nu'uanu, but I consider Pauoa my home. I went to Nu'uanu Elementary from 1975-1977, and Royal Elementary from 1977-1982. Went to Kawananakoa Intermediate from 1982-1984, before my mom moved us to the mainland, and it is Washington State where I still reside. My father had died in 1983, and my mom had felt it was time to move on to a new place. Yet even with that time away, I long to be back home, and those week-long vacations aren't enough.

I've always been a music nut, and I've always loved writing. I've combined the two and have been a music journalist for 21 years, becoming one of the original contributing editors to the "All Music Guide" in 1992, and getting Sunday Manoa into the book. I had been in a radio/TV production class in high school and was able to use that TV information to become a news producer for a local ABC affiliate, a position which I held for four years.

As a writer, I've been published in over 70 different publications, many of them small fanzines but I've made my way into a few major music magazines, including "Goldmine", "The Rocket", and "Discoveries". I've made a small presence on the internet with some of the websites and mailing lists I've done, including a section I had on my site called "Hawaiian Music Corner".

As a music artist, I create hip-hop/electronic music under the name Crut and have done so for 14 years. I'm currently working with a small label in Chicago towards an EP to be released later in the year, with an album to follow. Those who know me would prefer that I sing Hawaiian falsetto, and perhaps if I ever get the guts to move away from the computers and turntables, I will. I'm a fan of tangled wires, so for now I'll remain within.

Whether it's my music or my writing, I've always represented Hawai'i in everything I do, trying to shed light on my experiences back home when it has often felt like, outside of family, I'm the only one who knows what I'm talking about. At times it has always become a means of being political, to say "I'm Hawaiian and I'm proud", when there are those on the mainland who still ask how long it takes to drive to and from Hawai'i. They may know of the stereotypes, but not the truth and realities of what I grew up with. In terms of politics, I was the one responsible for letting people in Hawai'i know about the writer here in the Tri-Cities who, after 9/11, called Hawaiians unpatriotic and people who did nothing but climb trees and play 'ukulele all day.

Outside of that, I'm a fairly humble guy, kinda momona, single (and still looking), and always trying to discover new things.

I am Hawaiian/Chinese/Portuguese/Filipino/German/Austrian, and had I stayed there for high school, I would've been a Roosevelt High grad.

I came here to talk about some of the book projects that I'm currently doing, which involve Hawai'i and Hawaiian things. I wanted to introduce myself before I do that, plus I don't only want to be here for that too. I'll get into the book projects down the line.

===
          I'm not sure when I'll be back home, I haven't been back since October 2000. With some of the things I'm doing now, I'd like to return later this year to meet with some people I've been wanting to meet for my books, unwind a bit, and "fill up the reserves".

I'll browse the boards again and get familiar with the format, topics, and the people.
          Welcome to HT! Get one odda buggah named Lurkah who comes here periodically to cause trouble who also lives in "Da Boonies" in da Tri-Cities area. He and some of his friends meet every now and then and kanikapila and wala'u. He knows a lot about a lot things, especially Hawaiian kine music. You read the NW Hawaii Times newspepa? Reading that and going to one odda board, www.ohanalanai.com, will keep you up to date on what's happening in the state of WA and the Mainland. Leo Lakio (Bruddah G) who also posts ova here knows a lot about Hawaiian music too, is a music writer and programmer and lives in Seattle.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay you guys...why tumbleweeds? I'd'a thunk it'd be more Southwest. I never saw any tumbleweeds in Washington. Eh, johm, welcome. I did see lots of tumbleweeds in AZ. Enlighten meeee.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
              Okay you guys...why tumbleweeds? I'd'a thunk it'd be more Southwest. I never saw any tumbleweeds in Washington. Eh, johm, welcome. I did see lots of tumbleweeds in AZ. Enlighten meeee.
              Oh get plenty tumbleweeds in the southeastern part of WA near the OR border. It's also hot and dry down there in the Columbia River Gorge. They grow asparagus and have some great wineries down there, too. Only thing no more is the local grinds places like Seattle and Portland have!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mahalo Miulang. There's always a reason and this grouchy old fart isn't that old to still be learning something new. I'll avoid the place on my next visit.

Ah, asparagus. Makes my sheeshee smell funny kine.

Comment

Nah, plenny tumbleweeds. Unlike the West side of Washington, the East side is very dry. When there are heavy windstorms, the tumbleweeds are everywhere. Lots of farming around here, and where there's open fields, there's tumbleweed. It's like an old Western movie, and there are some areas that are just like that.

Oh, no talk about food. I hungry already (and it's not even 7am).

Comment

Well, we've been thinking of a place to move to after my parents pass on. Fortunately, that'll be a while yet. Washington is a possibility. Next time, we'll make sure to rent a car and get "lost" further inland. We like country and weren't real impressed with Seattle. We did get a kick that there are "Indian reservations" all over the place and each one had a smokeshop that sold real smoked salmon. Love the stuff.

Comment

The middle of the state (around Lake Chelan or Wenatchee or Winthrop) is actually very beautiful and not as "flat" as the southeastern part of the state. Spokane is also very nice. Not as big as Seattle, but with all of the same amenities.

Miulang

Comment

Well, we've been thinking of a place to move to after my parents pass on. Fortunately, that'll be a while yet. Washington is a possibility. Next time, we'll make sure to rent a car and get "lost" further inland. We like country and weren't real impressed with Seattle. We did get a kick that there are "Indian reservations" all over the place and each one had a smokeshop that sold real smoked salmon. Love the stuff.
                        Then you would definitely enjoy the East side of the state. But there's a lot of exploring to do throughout Washington, and of course with each access to Oregon, Idaho, and up to Vancouver, BC. I'm hoping to move to the West, slowly but surely.

Comment

We like country and weren't real impressed with Seattle.
                          Well, duh. If you like country, then obviously you're not going to be "real impressed" by a city. Why even mention that?

Even if you like cities, you might not like Seattle. It's unique in so many ways. You either experience it and "get it" or you don't. I don't waste my time trying to impress people who are determined not to enjoy something different.

I was born and raised a couple of miles from Seattle and have lived in several parts of Washington state, although my First Nation ancestry is from a different part of the country. Seattle is still really cool because of its Indian influences. People there don't make a big deal out of it like they do elsewhere -- it's just a part of the culture. Not a lot of whining, no big deal, but an integral part of local culture -- just like it should be.

All you have to do, if you like "country," is head a few miles east, northeast or southeast, or across the sound, and you probably will find something you like. Or not. <shrug> (Better for the rest of us if you don't. Move along, thank you!) Washington state isn't rural West Virginia isn't rural Texas isn't rural Oregon isn't rural Montana isn't rural Wyoming ... and so on.

Post script: Spokane is NOTHING like Seattle. They might as well be in different states. (To someone who has only experienced one or both superficially, perhaps they might seem more similar than they are. That is a forgiveable error, if one is predisposed to forgive ignorance.) Spokane has a lot to offer, but it is different from Seattle in too many ways to list here. Better in many ways, worse in many others. You can hit me offline if you're interested in knowing more about Seattle, Spokane or anywhere else in the PNW. If I don't know, I'll make it up. Heee!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                            Post script: Spokane is NOTHING like Seattle. They might as well be in different states. (To someone who has only experienced one or both superficially, perhaps they might seem more similar than they are. That is a forgiveable error, if one is predisposed to forgive ignorance.) Spokane has a lot to offer, but it is different from Seattle in too many ways to list here. Better in many ways, worse in many others. You can hit me offline if you're interested in knowing more about Seattle, Spokane or anywhere else in the PNW. If I don't know, I'll make it up. Heee!
                            When was the last time you were in Spokane? It's really growing up fast. Plenty of people and companies moving there because it's cheaper than Seattle. Coeur d'Alene, ID is now a suburb of Spokane. It's beautiful country, but it's subject to more extremes in the weather than Seattle. I prefer Skidaddle, but Spokane is not a bad place to live at all. It's no longer the "boonies". There is a political difference between Seattle and Spokane (the East side of the mountain tends to be more conservative), but as Spokane becomes more cosmopolitan, its political attitudes will probably become more liberal, too.

Miulang

Comment

WELCOME!!!!!!

I Being part Portagee and always wanting to "talk story", and me always being homesick, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to join this community and hopefully make some new friends and make some connections along the way..
                              Heh! I can relate.

Once again, I can relate. Moved in the late 1980's (parents moved to the mainland trying to make our lives "better") but I consider the Ewa area "home." I also spent much time at my tutu's in Kunia. I come back yearly and when possible more than that. Never feels like enough.

*edit* Oh yeah, I forget to say I went to Ewa Beach Elementary and August Ahrens.

Relate again. My only family here is my mother and father. My two sisters moved to Colorado when they married but one is actually moving to Hilo sometime in the very near future. My parents plan to move back home (O'ahu, probably Kapolei) to retire in the next 10 years. The only people left on the mainland would be my brother who I don't really get along with well and my sister a few states away. I want to move back. Badly. Everybody on both sides live on da 'aina. Even though I'm married with keiki it makes for some lonely holidays. I miss everyone, I miss their faces. With every year that goes by I realize just how much I miss, time is precious.

Cut off your last 3 ethnicities and we da same. I'm a Portuguese/Hawaiian/Chinese mix. My parent's friends like to tease that my mom walked out of da pineapple fields (Kunia camp/Del Monte) and that my father walked out of the sugar fields (He's the one from Ewa area) and they fell in looooove. HA! My mom's Kanaka Maoli side is originally from Kahuku. Also from Moloka'i and Kaua'i. Chinese and the Podagee - O'ahu, Kaua'i and Maui fo' waaay ova 100 years, you know how dat goes.

I would've been a Campbell High grad unless I went to Kamehameha like my mother, which I'd like to think I would have.
                              Last edited by Lei K; March 8, 2006, 04:16 AM.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                              X