Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Broken in Hawaii?

Hi folks,
    I need some ideas for a presentation for school. I have to talk about a problem that exists here in the islands. I only get eight minutes to discuss the problem and how I think it can be solved so it needs to be simple.

If you have any issues that are dear to your heart, your occupation, your family, or your quality of life I'd be grateful if you'll share them with me. Thanks!

Re: What's Broken in Hawaii?

Originally posted by smoot
    Hi folks,
    I need some ideas for a presentation for school. I have to talk about a problem that exists here in the islands. I only get eight minutes to discuss the problem and how I think it can be solved so it needs to be simple.

If you have any issues that are dear to your heart, your occupation, your family, or your quality of life I'd be grateful if you'll share them with me. Thanks!
    Aloha Smoot! Do a search on HT. Get Ukapila problems we've discussed in Hawai'i with some excellent ways to solve them. If you find any particular one from a member PM the individual. Good Luck.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi folks,

Translation: please do my homework for me!

Sorry kid; do your own homework. You'll learn more that way.

Comment

Got a good one...what is Hawai'i going to do to help out its kupunas? There aren't enough spaces in nursing homes for kupuna who can no longer live on their own. Hawai'i has the fastest growing elderly population in the country (and it's not just because of all the Mainlanders moving to retire there, either). What are you going to do when Tutu has to be watched all the time and your ohana can't (or won't) take her in? How are you going to pay for that? Now you go figure out da ansa...anden tell your governor and State Legislature!

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Got a good one...what is Hawai'i going to do to help out its kupunas? There aren't enough spaces in nursing homes for kupuna who can no longer live on their own. Hawai'i has the fastest growing elderly population in the country (and it's not just because of all the Mainlanders moving to retire there, either). What are you going to do when Tutu has to be watched all the time and your ohana can't (or won't) take her in? How are you going to pay for that? Now you go figure out da ansa...anden tell your governor and State Legislature!

Miulang
          walks into the classroom. sits down. raises hand.

"i know da answer, i know da answer"

da teacher says, "wat?"

"Auntie pUpUle goes to da State Capital and raises HELL! das wat!"

Seriously, That is an excellent topic to be discussed as Tita Miulang suggested. Taking care of the elderly is increasing steadily. My generation, it is an honor to take care of one's parents. However, it is not the same for the gererations after me. The rising costs of medical and living expenses also are factors. People just don't have the time nor the resources to take care of their own. Our government must do more.

btw: I take care of my 81 year-old mother as well as baby-sit my one year old grandson.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; March 8, 2006, 09:34 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Translation: please do my homework for me!

Sorry kid; do your own homework. You'll learn more that way.

awww Glen thats harsh.... maybe the kid is sheltered an doesnt really know beyond his grade level knowlege what is going on in the Islands... it is possible... most kids dont watch the news or read a newspaper.... their biggest worry is when is the next Xbox game coming out or yugioh cards or whos dating who

how about not doing his work for him but giving him topics that he could do research in the library on? that way he can even look up the issues using the Star Bulletin search feature or even google the topic with key words...
            Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Hi folks,

I'm with Glen. Smoot, can you really not think of ANY problems yourself?

OK, I'll give you one: Read my sig. Discuss.

Comment

Here's a good one that I think is a simple solution to something that is becoming a dire problem every year we're told to conserve.

Water Catchment systems for all new housing developments and water tax credits for those installing systems in existing homes!

With residential development taking more and more of our precious water supplies to critical levels and increasing inclement weather we've been having lately, water catchment for daily water use (watering lawns, washing cars, flushing toilets, even bathing) can hedge our water demands and shortages.

These things are relatively easy to install (small 200-gallon tanks placed just below each downspout to large 23,000-gallon whole house systems) and maintain. With the proper filtration you can even drink this water. I live out in Keaau on the Big Island and our large family of five adults and four minors live off of twin 5000-gallon catchment tanks and a really good filteration system.

On Oahu there are homes that have catchment systems (such as the top of Tantalus where there is no water service), they would serve as supplimental to daily water usage such as lawns, car washings and bathing.

By catching runoff water instead of letting it run into storm drains and into our flooding streets, catchment systems could help keep our streams and shorelines less polluted by run-off. It would also allow for a more regular percolation of water into our aquifers. Water that seeps underground into those aquifers take 20-25 years to get there. Our natural layers of lava act as natural filters so all we get is fairly pure water.

But when we get months of drought conditions followed by heavy rain activity, these waters flow across saturated land and into our oceans where the runoff pollutes and destroys nearby reefs and aquatic life. By catching rain during heavy rainfall and using it during drought times, we replenish the aquifer on a more regular basis and preserve our shorelines. It's a win win situation and all it takes is a simple catchment hookup to your gutter downspouts.

Here's a link that can help you out: http://wonderwater.net/residential.html

Another link gives you an example of how much and how simple certain catchment systems are: http://www.rainbarrelsandmore.com/?r...goograinbarrel

This is a simple solution to a very dire problem facing Oahu and you can probably sum it up in 8-minutes and this idea is a truly workable one that everyone can utilize. Back it up with tax incentives to install then you have one really good idea that's good for the land and the people.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow, that's a good one CraigW! I think it would be more engaging than the topics that I had picked already: making Honolulu rentals more pet-friendly and fixing the over-crowding problem at the Humane Society. I'm crazy about animal welfare but my audience isn't, and part of the grade is determined by the audience!

Comment

How about the flooding problems on Oahu?
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X