Waimea wins national honor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waimea wins national honor

The National Trust for Historic Preservation named Waimea, Kauai, as one of its 2006 "Dozen Distinctive Destinations", marking the first time any Hawai'i town had won that distinction.

"...The Dozen Distinct Destinations for 2006 is an annual list of unique and lovingly preserved communities in the United States, said a passage from a press release issued by leaders of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Waimea was selected from 93 destinations from 39 states vying for the honor, nominated by individuals or representatives of preservation organizations and local communities.

"Waimea is visually stunning, and rich in history from ancient to modern times," said Richard Moe, president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

"The town celebrates its culture and heritage not only on special occasions, but in everyday life, making Waimea a jewel in plain sight."

"...preserving communities and their landmarks helps tell the nation's story in the hopes the children and grandchildren will be inspired by it, appreciate it, and seek to continue to protect these places as part of the nation's collective identity...."

Maybe to some of the residents of Waimea, the town is a little too "backward", but all the residents should be proud that Waimea is helping to preserve the history of Kauai in the buildings and the stories that the older people tell, and now more tourists to Kauai will want to spend time there.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Waimea wins national honor

Originally posted by Miulang

It's no wonder whenever I go to a local hangout that I see more Caucasian faces than local ones...sad, eh?

Miulang
    Originally posted by Miulang

Maybe to some of the residents of Waimea, the town is a little too "backward", but all the residents should be proud that Waimea is helping to preserve the history of Kauai in the buildings and the stories that the older people tell, and now more tourists to Kauai will want to spend time there.

Miulang

Has Miulang warmed up to Haoles?

Comment

I neva say I didn't like haoles! My kane is one white bread haole from NJ (heheheheh). I just don't like anybody who cops one high muckamucka attitude, especially in places where they are clearly outnumbered...that could be a "health" problem for those people.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2006, 06:32 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh Waimea
        Kuulei Aloha
        Never More To Say Goodbye!!!
        Oggboy
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
        X