New Game (Sorta): TryTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Game (Sorta): TryTunes

I thought it might be fun to play with one of iTunes's newest (and seriously overdue) features: The ability to send gift songs to others. Here's what I propose.

Verse 1: A small group of (no more than seven) music-lovers agrees that each member will send a gift song to each of the others. This song will be something that represents music the gifter loves, or a song that he or she really wishes other people would hear. For example, I might send T Bone Burnett's song, "Poison Love," to persons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Meanwhile, each one of them is sending me a song, so that at the end of Verse 1, each one of us has heard the same group of new songs.

Chorus 1: We discuss the songs. React to them, give them thumbs up or noses up.

Verse 2: Based strictly on the songs and discussions, each participant thinks of a gift song specifically chosen for each of the others. For example, person 1, based on what T Bone Burnett sounds like, gives me another song he or she thinks I would like. Person 2, based on comments I made about person 4's gift song, gives me a song that's the exact opposite, hoping I'll like that one. Meanwhile, I give "Song A" to person 1, "Song B" to person 2, and so on. Thus, at the end of Verse 2, each participant has heard an additional six new songs, each chosen just for him or her.

Chorus 2: We discuss the songs.

Coda: We decide if we want to do it all over.

Here's what you'll need to participate:
    1. an iTunes account.
    2. about twelve bucks, plus tax.

If more than seven people want to do this, we'll make two groups, and if we decide to do it again, we can just mix the groups up.

What do you think? Who's game?

ps: I don't know how iTunes handles a situation where someone gifts you a song you already own. Can you return a gifted song and let the gifter try another? I'll try to find out.
    Last edited by scrivener; March 8, 2006, 08:23 PM. Reason: "i keep forgetting we're not in love anymore..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: New Game (Sorta): TryTunes

Originally posted by scrivener
    [...]What do you think? Who's game?
    [...]
    Hmmm...if I understood it better I'd be willing! It's kinda bordering on techie for me.!

Comment

Aw heck. You KNOW I'm in.

But please, whoever, check my song list before you send me a song. There is a strong possibility I already own it: http://zztype.com/itunes/

If you have your list published somewhere, I will consult that first, as well, before selecting a song for you.

(I'm even willing to host other users' song lists if they don't have the facilities already. I can easily walk you through it.)

Blaine
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Hey, how about this idea for a variation: More like a "book of the month club." Group agrees to list of songs. Each member procures song 1, group discusses song 1; next week, group procures song 2, etc.

Instead of 49-way discussions on disparate songs, we have 7-way discusssion on one song.

Might get more mileage out of it that way.

Just an idea.

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I think iTunes has some kind of thing built in to it where it already knows what songs you have purchased. I remember downloading one of their weekly free songs a while back on my G4... and in the same week forgot I had the song and tried to download it again on my iBook... iTunes said I had already purchased it.

I would like to think this feature is implemented when someone sends you a gift song, as long as the previously purchased song remains in your purchased music playlist. I think. I'm not too sure.

I know for sure I would not want to be given a song I already own, though I have to think people in these parts have pretty eclectic tastes.

Lastly I don't know if I would want to spend $1.03 each on songs that I may not like.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

ZZ:
            I thought of that, but I kinda like the semi-chaotic vibe this plan would create; plus, that little bit of surprise you'd get when you check iTunes and it says that so-and-so sent you a gift song! You won't know what it is until you've got it. That's kinda cool. Also, there is not a "strong chance" that you already own it. Your list, while impressive, is a mere drop of water in the nearly endless sea of songs on iTunes. If I'd sent you that T Bone Burnett song, for example, which was just the first song that popped into my head as I thought of an example above, you'd have been pleasantly surprised. Except that iTunes doesn't have that song. Argh.

Mel:
            I think iTunes (the service, not the app) keeps track of what you've bought, because I had to start over with iTunes (the app, not the service), and when I ran the "check for purchased music" thing, iTunes detected that my purchased songs weren't on that computer and then sent them to it. You can only do this five times, by the way. Five times per purchased song.

This would only work, anyway, on songs you actually purchased, not on songs you've added to your library from your own stuff. But I'm wondering why iTunes (the service) couldn't keep track of that, too.

And Mel, you wouldn't be spending $1.03 on songs you don't like. You'd only be spending them on songs you DO like, because you're giving them to other people. They're spending $1.03 each to send you songs THEY like, so think of it as a gift.
            Last edited by scrivener; March 9, 2006, 05:49 AM. Reason: "the earth is hard, the treasure fine ..."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Good points Scriv.

The 5 song limit is to 5 computers that you own I believe. Part of the built-in DRM encoded into each AAC file that you purchase from iTunes. You can download the song to an unlimited amount of iPods.

Straying a bit off topic, I would not want Apple or anyone else monitoring the songs that I ripped from my own CDs. I value my privacy.

A note: I think sometime late this month or most likely next month, Apple will have had to renogiate its 3 year contract with the record labels on their iTunes music store. Record labels have been bitching about charging a higher price for some songs... mostly new and hit releases. Something like $1.29 a pop I have read. They want to create a tiered price list. Yuck.

I like the 99¢ ala carte.

Also yesterday Apple entered into a subscription kind of deal for content supplied by The Comedy Channel... $9.99 a month for 16 shows or something like that. I hope this is not what the future bodes for music!

That said, I am in if this is not too confusing or time consuming.

You may want to keep up with the news on the price negotiations with Apple and the labels.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                Record labels have been bitching about charging a higher price for some songs... mostly new and hit releases. Something like $1.29 a pop I have read. They want to create a tiered price list. Yuck.

I like the 99¢ ala carte.
                I've always thought that in this day and age, 99 cents was a bargain....That's what I paid for 45 singles at Gibson's or DJ's Sound City around 30 years ago as a kid. I remember going in with $1.03 in various combinations of coins! Does anyone know how our sales tax we get charged gets paid to the State by Apple??? Always wondered about that.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                  I've always thought that in this day and age, 99 cents was a bargain....That's what I paid for 45 singles at Gibson's or DJ's Sound City around 30 years ago as a kid. I remember going in with $1.03 in various combinations of coins! Does anyone know how our sales tax we get charged gets paid to the State by Apple??? Always wondered about that.
                  The difference between a digital song purchased from Apple and the old 45 you and I bought from DJs Sound City is the fact that we usually got 2 songs for the 99¢ price. Remember, the A or hit side, and the B side.

The A side was always the known quantity. This is what you paid for. But sometimes I even liked the B-sides of the old 45s. You don't get that anymore with 99¢ digital tracks. You only get the one song.

Still I agree 99¢ is a bargain. And I hope Apple wins and holds the line on that price. Anything higher, I would have to seriously reconsider buying many songs via iTunes.

As for the GE Tax at iTunes. I think the simple explanation is the fact that Apple actually does business in Hawaii and has a physical brick and mortar store at Ala Moana Center... well mostly glass and plaster... but still a physical retail presence in the state. Hence the retail GET gets applied to every iTunes and Apple online store purchase from Hawaii.

So sometimes for certain things it still makes more sense to buy from Amazon.com.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm bumping this up. So far we have Zztype, Mel, and me. I'd like to get a few more iTunes devotees. Anyone?

ps:
                    Tutusue, have you played around with iTunes at all? It's pretty easy, and the application software is a free download.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I like the idea of a music sharing and discussion project, but I'm just worried that the organization/implementation would be a bit complex. I think Zztype's variation, with a smaller set (and thus smaller price tag) might be a reasonable compromise.

Honestly, I'm mostly interested in reading what songs people choose, though of course the reactions to the songs itself are the treasure you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        [...]ps:
                        Tutusue, have you played around with iTunes at all? It's pretty easy, and the application software is a free download.
                        I'm an iTunes slut!

Comment

Working...
                        X