i shouldn't be alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i shouldn't be alive

no, that's not how i feel! it's the title of a series from the discovery channel. the first episode (every friday) airs today at 7 and 11 pm (channel 69).

every since i was a kid, i've been fascinated with true stories of near-death experiences and how such experiences transforms the world view of those who have a brush with death.

anyway, for more info, check out these links:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/alive/alive.html

http://www.livescience.com/discoverychannel/isba/
    Last edited by shaveice; March 9, 2006, 11:39 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: i shouldn't be alive

I love this show, too! In December they did a marathon one Saturday and I spent all day baking Christmas cookies and watching 6 hours of people narrowly escaping death. It was a fine day!

Comment

ha! ha! tiabla, that's pretty funny!

i don't know about you but i used to enjoy reading the reader's digest for several reasons, one being the regular story on someone who had a brush with death. (for the life of me, i can't remember the name of that category!) anyway, those stories were something else. almost always gave me chicken skin.

looking forward to tonight's episode. (i have a vague sense of what it'll be about and it reminds me of a slightly similar story (warning: the details are pretty gruesome)

http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/ne...utate-arm.html
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
        i don't know about you but i used to enjoy reading the reader's digest for several reasons, one being the regular story on someone who had a brush with death. (for the life of me, i can't remember the name of that category!) anyway, those stories were something else. almost always gave me chicken skin.
        "Drama in Real Life."

This series sounds interesting, but I wonder how many of the tales will be simply harrowing, and how many of them will be downright gruesome. Inspiring tales of real-life survival sound interesting, but I'm always worried about crossing the line into melodrama and exploitation. (A particular concern when you're working in "dramatizations" and "actor portrayals" rather than documentary style.) I guess I'll have to Tivo an episode or two to find out.

Official site. Premieres tonight.

Comment

pzarquon, that's it! drama in real life. used to be my favorite part of the reader's digest.

watched tonight's episode and although i enjoyed watching it, i thought they were clearly (for me) going a bit over the edge just to make me grimace. in particular, i didn't think it was necessary to play the scene where the boulder falls on the guy's leg over and over again. okay, i know it must have hurt like hell so stop showing it to me. i got it.

on the positive side, it was great to see that the guy survived against some amazing odds. i would have liked to have seen the two guys together again, talking and hugging and crying with joy...

Comment

interesting stories. i saw the shark episode and the amazon forest episode.

Comment

Working...
            X