Bill Gates: Still Da Richest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates: Still Da Richest

Well..... Forbes have just released it's list of the world's richest people and Gates is still the man! $50 Billion net worth, computers should be cheaper. Have a nice day and weekend everyone
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Bill Gates: Still Da Richest

Originally posted by alohabear
    Well..... Forbes have just released it's list of the world's richest people and Gates is still the man! $50 Billion net worth, computers should be cheaper. Have a nice day and weekend everyone
    You notice who else is on that list? 4 of Sam Walton's (aka Mr. WalMart) heirs. So as they are making their billions, why can't they provide decent healthcare coverage for their employees who are helping them make it on that list?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      You notice who else is on that list? 4 of Sam Walton's (aka Mr. WalMart) heirs. So as they are making their billions, why can't they provide decent healthcare coverage for their employees who are helping them make it on that list?

Miulang
      How do you think they stay billionares? With all thier money, employees should have FREE(and the best) healthcare. Walmart's networth is more than most foreign countries.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Bill Gates made the news again today when it was announced that through his investment company, (Cascade Investment, LLC) he and a Saudi Prince are buying the controlling rights to the Four Seasons Hotels for $3.7 billion and returning the company to being a privately held one.

Since Cascade is a private investment firm (which exists just to handle Bill's investment portfolio), it's hard to find out what other companies he might have shares in, but here is a list of some of the publicly traded companies in which Cascade has made investments.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          How do you think they stay billionares? With all thier money, employees should have FREE(and the best) healthcare. Walmart's networth is more than most foreign countries.

But that's the point with businesses whether it's owned privately or publicly to give you a paycheck. Healthcare is a benefit offered thru a company. If you were a business owner and you needed a person to stock shelves, you hire a stock clerk and pay him fair wages. I don't think it's the business owner's concern to have to pay for anything else. If a yardman came in to mow your lawn, do you give him healthcare benefits? You may give him a ride to the doctor's office if it's on the way but it's not your obligation to do anything else. You pay for his services and that's it, see ya next week.

People pick and choose their employer of choice based on two things: 1) wages and 2) benefits. If you don't like employer A because his benefits suck, there is nothing in the lawbooks keeping you there. I don't particularly enjoy the wages I earn part time at Home Depot, but that's not why I work there. Being semi-retired, health benefits can be expensive if you gotta pay for it out of your own pockets. So I work at Home Depot for those benefits.

The wages earned there are chump change for me as I work only 21-24 hours a week at $10.30 per hour. But the benefits are why I work there.

Getting back OT though, Bill Gates didn't get rich by spending foolishly. And for that matter not too many rich people stay rich by acting unwisely with their wealth.

That's how you can tell the true wealthy from the posers. Posers spend their money to make themselves look rich by buying a lot of bling that doesn't do anything but drain their wallets. Rich people make their money work for them by buying investments or valued artifacts like artwork, precious metals and the likes.

I wear $10 Casio watches and when they break I buy another cheap watch. I don't need to advertise the fact that I had the money to buy an expensive Rolex or even a moderately priced Citizen's watch. I just need a watch that tells time. Isn't that why you wear one?

My neighbor in Manoa had a boyfriend who drove up in a rickety old pick up truck that was rusting all over. He wore denim jeans with real holes not pre-fabricated ones. I asked my neighbor Mari why she dated this seemingly homeless man? She laughed and told me he was an environmental lawyer and he was a millionaire.

She told me rich people don't need to prove to the rest of the world anything. That set a precedence for me. If someone doesn't like the way I dress, who the fuck cares? I don't need to patronize their establishment if they're gonna judge me by the clothes I wear or the car I drive or the watch put on everyday.

What's sad is that I see so much bling in the parking lots of section 8 apartments. I shake my head and wonder where are their priorities. Food on the table or stylin' in their hot Escalade with the spinner rims.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

MSD Capital LLC (Michael and Susan Dell) bought the Fours Seasons Hualalai recently.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              MSD Capital LLC (Michael and Susan Dell) bought the Fours Seasons Hualalai recently.
              So I wonder what it is that's prompting big buck technology guys to start becoming hospitality entrepreneurs? Besides the Dells and Bill Gates, Steve Case owns a bunch of health spas that are in high end hotels, too. The rich just cater to the rich, I guess.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                So I wonder what it is that's prompting big buck technology guys to start becoming hospitality entrepreneurs? Besides the Dells and Bill Gates, Steve Case owns a bunch of health spas that are in high end hotels, too. The rich just cater to the rich, I guess.

Miulang
                As far as I understand,the Four Seasons will still be managing the hotel. It seems MSD Capital bought the Four Seasons Hualalai for the real estate. As the purchase included not only the hotel, but a lot of the surrounding area.I think that
                particular SB article goes into more detail on that aspect.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

As far as I understand,the Four Seasons will still be managing the hotel. It seems MSD Capital bought the Four Seasons Hualalai for the real estate. As the purchase included not only the hotel, but a lot of the surrounding area.I think that
                  particular SB article goes into more detail on that aspect.
                  Hmm...maybe the Dells want to do the same thing Ed Case's family (ML&P) is doing to Kapalua...tearing down a perfectly fine hotel and are constructing a couple of high end time share developments.

Miulang

Comment

Hmm...maybe the Dells want to do the same thing Ed Case's family (ML&P) is doing to Kapalua...tearing down a perfectly fine hotel
                    "Maybe"? And two posts earlier you wrote "I guess..."? Sheesh. Again with the wild speculation and conspiracy theories.

Gee, maybe they're gonna tear down the hotels and build private mega-mansions on the property. Or, maybe they're gonna turn them into housing for the homeless. Wait. I know. Maybe they're gonna turn the hotels into terminals for the SuperFerry!

Or maybe they're doing exactly as they stated -- investing in high-end real estate.
                    Not as much fun as all the conspiracy theories, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hmm...maybe the Dells want to do the same thing Ed Case's family (ML&P) is doing to Kapalua...tearing down a perfectly fine hotel and are constructing a couple of high end time share developments.
                      Actually they are looking expanding the hotel among expanding development on the adjacent lands. The hotel, I believe only has 241 hotel rooms.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Actually they are looking expanding the hotel among expanding development on the adjacent lands. The hotel, I believe only has 241 hotel rooms.
                        Sort of as a sidenote...interesting timing that Hilton Hotels announced today that their new highend condo development (King's Landing) in the Waikoloa Beach Resort will be the largest in the State...seems like you guys over there on the Kona side are positioning yourselves to become the next Wailea!

Miulang

Comment

Sort of as a sidenote...interesting timing that Hilton Hotels announced today that their new highend condo development (King's Landing) in the Waikoloa Beach Resort will be the largest in the State...seems like you guys over there on the Kona side are positioning yourselves to become the next Wailea!
                          Actually the Kohala Coast area has been moving in that direction for a number
                          of years. There has been a lot of resort development stretching from Kukio in
                          the south to Mauna Kea Resort in the north.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

The rich just cater to the rich, I guess.Miulang
                            Well if you want to attract the money you gotta go where the money flows and it ain't flowing anywhere else better than where there's disposable income.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X