Playing at The Doris Duke Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing at The Doris Duke Theater

This thread is for movies that we have heard are playing or have seen at the Doris Duke Theater.

Today, my wife and I had a daytime movie date! We saw the one o'clock showing of "Tristam Shandy". Really enjoyed the avant-garde and humorous style. Throughout the audience there were giggles and outright laughter, us included. Go see it if you get the chance.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Playing at The Doris Duke Theater...

I want to go see the movie "Why We Fight".
    It starts playing March 17th through the end of the month.

Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.
    "Why We Fight" launches a bipartisan inquiry into the workings of the military industrial complex and the rise of the American Empire. Here's a LINK

Comment

There's too many cool movies and lectures during the month of May to list so check out this LINK

Comment

Upcoming movies in August!
        I especially like "Woodstock", but a couple others too.
        Here's a link... http://www.honoluluacademy.org/cmsha...x.aspx?id=1528

Comment

My wife and I, possibly a few other HT'ers too are going to see "Woodstock" at 7pm. Sunday night August 19th! Wanna join in?!
          Attached Files

Comment

I think it was in the Doris Duke theater, I remembered watching some really good films with my hubby there.

There was this really cool deaf lady, who became a musician, now that was a really cool & moving film for me.

Then there was another movie which was a really comedic filipino story which was really hilarious .

Unfortunately for me, it was so loong ago that I don't remember the title. Sorry.

I wish they still have it on their archives.

That is a very old Building.

By the way...

How old is the building???
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

don't know if any of you went to it but scott mccloud's lecture was very good. in fact, his family was with him on this year long book tour and one of his young daughter's gave an EXCELLENT intro to her dad. absolutely impressive. not that it was polished but in terms of ease in front of an audience, timing, and her graphics. (she was using keynote.) very, very impressive.

anyway, i was always curious to know what the author behind the best selling book
              http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...7653847&sr=8-1
              would be like and i wasn't disappointed. he was funny, personable and informative.

i hope the academy continues to host these great films and guests for a long time to come....
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

"Hippie Masala" Video

In the 1960s and 70s, thousands of Europeans journeyed East in search of enlightenment, drugs or a “pure” life. Indian peasants assumed that a severe drought in the West spurred the migration. India’s holy men saw it, more accurately, as a search for spirituality. Most moved back to their home countries after a few months or years—some stayed. Hippie Masala looks at the aging flower children who, after fleeing Western civilization, found a new home in India. The film is an often amusing but also compelling, compassionate portrait of European expats in Asia.

• Thursday, May 28, Friday, May 29 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
                • Sunday, May 31 at 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7:30 p.m.

I'm gonna try to make it on Friday at 1pm!

Comment

Took my Mom and Godson to the American Indian Pow Wow @ Thomas Square Park. Enjoyed that then we ate lunch @ the Pavilion Cafe Academy of Arts. Enjoyed that too! Then went to see "Beautiful Son" movie @ Doris Duke's Theater. This film moved audiences to tears at the 2007 Hawai‘i International Film Festival, where it won the Best Documentary and Audience Award. Don’t miss this encore screening of a moving, personal film by Kailua-based filmmakers—and parents—Don and Julianne King about their autistic son Beau and their tortuous journey to find help. Their visual record of his slide from loving blond angel to distant, mute stranger is heartbreaking. Not finding the answers they want from the medical establishment, the Kings stumble upon a community of doctors and parents experimenting with alternative treatments and who are, they believe, recovering some kids from autism. This is a look at a grassroots movement of parents and doctors who believe that vaccines, mercury and other toxins may be triggering some forms of autism—which affects one in 150 children—and are demanding research be done to help their offspring.

Go see it if you can. Wonderful movie!!!
                  • Thursday, September 24, Friday, September 25, Tuesday September 29, Wednesday, September 30, Thursday, October 1, Friday, October 2 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
                  • Sunday, September 27 and Saturday, October 3 at 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7:30 p.m.

Theater Showing Schedule

Comment

There's a free lecture tonight at 7:30pm
                    Speaker: Jonathan Mark Kenoyer, University of Wisconsin, Madison
                    Sponsored by the Archaeological Institute of America

Recent excavations at Harappa, Dholavira, Lakhanjodaro, Farmana, Shikarpur, Gola Dhoro and other sites in Pakistan and India have provided new evidence on the origins of writing and urbanism in the Indus Valley. Kenoyer will present a summary of changing perspectives on the origins and character of the Indus Civilization based on these discoveries. Other important topics include the emergence of village cultures (3300-2600 BC), the urban expansion of the Indus or Harappan Period (2600-1900 BC), the development of writing, seals, and the use of standardized stone weights, and the decline and reorganization of the Indus cities (1900-1300 BC). Kenoyer will highlight the contributions of the Indus culture to later civilizations in South Asia and other world regions.

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/event...s_civilization

Comment

Re: Playing at The Doris Duke Theater

Performance: Classical Guitar Virtuo...s Barbosa-Lima
                      Showtimes: Sunday Dec 18 04:00 PM
                      $30, $25 museum members

About the Performance: The high point of our holiday season is a visit from this most gifted performer. Fresh from a concert tour of South America, Brazilian virtuoso Carlos Barbosa-Lima brings us his unique repertoire, featuring samba, bossa nova, ragtime, classical, folk, jazz, and even a touch of Hawaiian music.

My wife, friend and I already got our tickets!
                      Should be wonderful. See ya there!

Comment

Not sure why the link didn't work above^
                        http://www.honoluluacademy.org/event...s_barbosa_lima

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          About the Performance...
                          I usually don't report back on events attended here but this was cool...
                          A Wonderful evening! Carlos played the first half it was heart touching, chicken-skin melodies. He can play like he has four hands, really. Then after a short intermission Byron Yasui played a few songs on the ukulele and just wow! Then the friends played guitars together and we all enjoyed. Bought two CD's afterwards and got one signed while thanking them for it all. Of course dinner and wine at Auntie Pasto's to finish the night off made it complete!

I share these invites to various events at the Doris Duke Theater because they're cool and I want you to go too. Enjoy life!

Comment

This sounds like a great movie!

The Trailer... Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara/One Life To Live
                            Director: Zoya Akhtar
                            India, 2011, 153 mins
                            In Hindi, Spanish and English with English subtitles
                            Kabir (Abhay Deol) has just met Natasha (Kalki Koechlin) and six months later they are engaged. Before the big day, Kabir is determined to take a three-week road trip in Spain with his two best friends Imraan (Farhan Akhtar) and Arjun (Hrithik Roshan). The trio meet in Barcelona and set off on an adventure that will force them to iron out their differences, face their fears, alter their perceptions, and seize the day. Beautifully shot on location in Spain, the film is a celebration of love, friendship and life, which has wowed audiences world-wide.

Opening-night reception on Jan. 14, 6-7:30pm, followed by a stunning road movie shot in Spain, London and India. Delicious Indian food will be available for purchase; along with wine, beer, and soda. Tickets: $15, $12 for museum members; purchase in advance.

Showtimes:
                            Saturday Jan 14 01:00 PM
                            Saturday Jan 14 06:00 PM
                            Sunday Jan 15 01:00 PM
                            Sunday Jan 15 07:30 PM

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/event..._one_life_live

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                              This sounds like a great movie!

The Trailer... Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara/One Life To Live

Doris Duke's Bollywood Film Festival

Don and I went to the 1pm showing. What a great story, loved all the characters and how friends & dreams are important in life. Live for today!

Comment

Working...
                              X