PDA

View Full Version : Name that TV show!

Pages : [1] 2

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Give anykine clue you wish. Be it dialog, title song, character's name, etc.

Here's an easy one... a short dialog.

Hey there little buddy, pass the coconut cream pie.
Aye aye Skipper!

LikaNui
March 11th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Waaay too easy.

http://home.mn.rr.com/classictv/Gilligan'sThemeSong.html

:p

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, Likanui. I think Gilligan's Island is what turned me into who I've become. :rolleyes: For better or worse, eh?!

LikaNui
March 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah, Likanui. I think Gilligan's Island is what turned me into who I've become.
Same here!
;)

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Try this...

Oy Vinnie! Stick a rubber hose, up your nose.

lavagal
March 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Try this...

Oy Vinnie! Stick a rubber hose, up your nose.

Welcome Back, Kotter!

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Welcome Back, Kotter!

And we have another winner!

This tape will self-destruct in 15 seconds.
Wot'chu Tink?

lurkah
March 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
This tape will self-destruct in 15 seconds.
Wot'chu Tink?

That one's too easy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Impossible), Mr. Phelps, and I think it was 5 seconds instead of 15. ;)

Sgt. Friday and Officer Gannon?

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Dragnet.

So if we're sticking to easy, "Book'em Danno!" <LOL>

lurkah
March 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Dragnet.

So if we're sticking to easy, "Book'em Danno!" <LOL>

Just weeding out da old futs. :p

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Just weeding out da old futs.

My memory is selective, but....you got me. :D

Oooooh....Born on a moutaintop in Tennessee....

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
My memory is selective, but....you got me. :D

Oooooh....Born on a moutaintop in Tennessee....

Davey, Davey Crockett king of the wild frontier.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
"YOU rang???" (tall deep voice)

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
"these are the voices of the mysterons...."

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
"There is nothing wrong with your televison set..."

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM
"New York is where I'd rather be... I get allergic smelling hay.... darling I love you but give me Park Avenue..."

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
"Good night Jim Bob. Good night Mary Ellen...."

mel
March 11th, 2006, 07:14 PM
The William Tell Overture was the theme song for this super hero show....

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Twilight Zone

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
The William Tell Overture was the theme song for this super hero show....
The Lone Ranger

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
The Waltons (but not the Sam Waltons! :) )

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
"New York is where I'd rather be... I get allergic smelling hay.... darling I love you but give me Park Avenue..."
Green Acres

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
"A horse is a horse, of course, of course..."

Miulang

Miulang
March 11th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Lurch from the Munsters

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
"A horse is a horse, of course, of course..."
Mr. Ed

Lurch from the Adam's Family

Ai, Miulang. Didn't think you were an old fart. :D

Here's an old WWII show. Little John carried a BAR. The German guns went, "Chkgush, chkgush." The American guns went, "Pow!" Never could figure that one out. :confused:

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Here's an old WWII show. Little John carried a BAR. The German guns went, "Chkgush, chkgush." The American guns went, "Pow!" Never could figure that one out. :confused:

I think that would be Combat!.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Speaking of WWII, these 4 guys roamed the North African desert in 2 machine gun equipped Jeeps in search of Germans and to thwart their dasterdly plans for the week....

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Twilight Zone

No. Try guess again....

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I think you are taking about Combat, but Kirby was the guy carrying the BAR, Littlejohn and Caje were carry the standard rifles.

Twilight Zone

It's Outer Limits, Twilight Zone's opening had some thing to do with making turns or stops as you travel down a path.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Speaking of WWII, these 4 guys roamed the North African desert in 2 machine gun equipped Jeeps in search of Germans and to thwart their dasterdly plans for the week....
Rat Patrol

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
By day he was meek and mild Hiram, but when he put on his glasses he became....

(cartoon)

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Late 50's, Japanese programming. A child samurai would change into a kabuki type character with white robes and long red hair and could leap onto tall trees with just a hop and, of course, save people from the bad guys. Ooops. I guess I figured it was red hair. Our TV was b&w. :o

Barbara Lee hosted this local weekly variety show.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
After he was done with Twilight Zone, Rod Serling hosted this series:

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Miulang, (whispering) Outer Limits. :D

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Hiram! I know Hiram! I hate this. It's right on the tip of my tongue. OH! OH! Fearless Fly! Hah! :p

Ooop! Nevermind Miulang, Helen beatcha. :)

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Side kick was Ponci Ponce.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Speaking about Combat, and some shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's. There is channel called American Life. It's Digital Cable channel 604 (and I don't know if it's available on analog cable). They show Combat every week day at 2pm HST plus each day has a theme. I think Monday is Private Investagtor like 77 Sunset Strip, Harry O and something else, Tuesday is war hero like Combat, China Beach and The Galant Men, Wednesday is spy themed with I Spy, Man from UNCLE, Girl from UNCLE, Thursdays is Westerns which I can't remember which shows are on and Friday is police themed, like The FBI and Crime Story. They usually start at 3pm HST and repeat at 6pm HST.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Side kick was Ponci Ponce.

Can't remember the character's name but the show was Hawaiian Eye.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
American Life channel is not available on analog. So I don't get to watch those re-runs mentioned except for Crime Story (an excellent cop show) which I have on DVD.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
After he was done with Twilight Zone, Rod Serling hosted this series:
I think this is Night Gallery.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yvonne Craig played the third super hero in this series 2.5 year run....

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I think this is Night Gallery.

Yes it was.

Da Rolling Eye
Thanks, Helen. :o

helen
Yvonne Craig played the third super hero in this series 2.5 year run....
She played Batgirl in the TV series Batman.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
This superhero always had to save Sweet Polly Purebread from the clutches of the evil Simon Bar Sinister.

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM

The Waltons :D

And WOW you folks really like this thread eh?!

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM
This superhero always had to save Sweet Polly Purebread from the clutches of the evil Simon Bar Sinister.
Underdog! His secert ID was Shoe Shine Boy. And the reason why I bring this up is because a few years ago there was a business in Honolulu called "Shoe Shine Boy (http://www.hawaiistories.com/gallery/album15/PICT0004)".

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yes on "Underdog".

Changing channels now...

She sang the show's theme song and played a recurring role as a singer on this legal comedy show. Name the singer and the show.

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
That Girl?

Marlo Thomas

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
That Girl?

Marlo Thomas

I don't think Marlo sang the show's theme song. Try again.

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Nobody else watched Japanese programming back then? Okay.
Kazekozo and Televi Digest. :) Kazekozo was my hero and I had a crush on Barbara Lee. :confused: <LOL>

Anybody guess what that "voice of the mysterons" was?

Da Rolling Eye
March 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Gee, Mel. These shows are coming back to me, but in slow motion. Gotta be my age. ;)

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Chim Chim and Spridle always managed to get in trouble whenever their brother went racing.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Gee, Mel. These shows are coming back to me, but in slow motion. Gotta be my age. ;)

I think I spent way too much time in front of the TV when I wasn't listening to the radio when I was a kid.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Chim Chim and Spridle always managed to get in trouble whenever their brother went racing.
Speed Racer.

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I don't think Marlo sang the show's theme song. Try again.

Shucks! Okay....

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Khan's storyline leaped from the little screen to the big screen about 20 years later.

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
How 'bout the Dracula named Barnabus Collins?

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
"How 'bout the Dracula named Barnabus Collins?"

What is Dark Shadows for $20.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
That Girl?

Marlo Thomas
The gimrick for That Girl was at the start some body would go to a 2nd person, say something about a 3rd person, 2nd person more than likey would ask who the 1st person is taking about and the 1st person would point to the 3rd person which happens to be Marlo Thomas and say "That Girl!". Then credits and opening theme would play.

Hmmm, maybe this should have gone into this thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=7892).

helen
March 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Khan's storyline leaped from the little screen to the big screen about 20 years later.
Space Seed an episode of Star Trek, that became the basis of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

mel
March 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Space Seed an episode of Star Trek, that became the basis of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

What always struck me odd is that Chekhov never met Khan in the original, but Khan says "you I remember"... hmmm. Was Chekhov on the Enterprise at the time Khan originally appeared?

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
"How 'bout the Dracula named Barnabus Collins?"

What is Dark Shadows for $20.

Das it Uhh huh yup

helen
March 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
What always struck me odd is that Chekhov never met Khan in the original, but Khan says "you I remember"... hmmm. Was Chekhov on the Enterprise at the time Khan originally appeared?
Nope, Space Seed was a first season episode, Chekhov started in the second season. Some try to correct this by saying Chekhov was on the midnight shift during the 1st season, another tried to say that after the dinner scene with Khan, Kirk and his senior staff, Kahn wasn't feeling too well after eating 23rd century food so he tried to find a restroom. Of course finding a restroom on the Enterprise is very hard to do (we never saw one during the original run), but he did find it (the only one in fact) and it was occupied by Chekhov at the time. Needless to say Kahn was pissed.

helen
March 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
She sang the show's theme song and played a recurring role as a singer on this legal comedy show. Name the singer and the show.

Nah, it couldn't be the Doris Day Show?

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
They had a "Hippie" bus and played music?
Remember?

helen
March 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
They had a "Hippie" bus and played music?
Remember?
The Partridge Family.

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 09:23 PM
The Partridge Family.
Ain't this fun! Good going Helen! :D
I always wanted a bus like that... still do in fact! :o

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
How about this... The sidekick's name was Kato?

helen
March 11th, 2006, 09:27 PM
The Green Hornet

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
The Green Hornet
Wow Helen, a woman after my own heart. Or at least we watched the same shows back then. :eek:

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Wo Fat (and not the restaurant) It's a character's name.

tutusue
March 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
What was the name of the sidekick on a game show starring a guy with facial hair but no beard?

tutusue
March 11th, 2006, 09:50 PM
The lead was injured so a double was used wearing a mask while the lead recorded his lines from his hospital bed.
The sidekick humorously mangled English. Oh, my grandmother dated him! That one clue, alone, is probably the give-away! :D
And the show was...?

Menehune Man
March 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
How 'bout A German looking guy popping up stating... "Very interesting."

tutusue
March 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
As a kid, my dad's nickname for me was Sapphire 'cuz I used to get so tan! While this is no longer a PC reference, decades ago it was acceptable and even a compliment considering Sapphire was a character in my all time favorite TV show.

And, Helen, you're too young but I'm sure you'll be able to name the show anyway! ;)

zztype
March 12th, 2006, 12:27 AM
How about this... The sidekick's name was Kato?

And Kato was played by the immortal Bruce Lee!

mel
March 12th, 2006, 04:47 AM

I'll venture to guess Colonel Klink in "Hogan's Heroes".

lavagal
March 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM

This was a great show, although I was way too young to get it back then in 1968 when Tricky Dick was president and Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and Judy Carne were go-go dancers on the show! Whatever happened to Joanne Worley and Ruth Buzzy? A lot of stars got their start on LAUGH IN!

lavagal
March 12th, 2006, 05:55 AM
The lead was injured so a double was used wearing a mask while the lead recorded his lines from his hospital bed.
The sidekick humorously mangled English. Oh, my grandmother dated him! That one clue, alone, is probably the give-away! :D
And the show was...?

I might be wrong for this one, but was it The Green Hornet?

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I might be wrong for this one, but was it The Green Hornet?
Sorry...try again. There's no deadline! ;)

More clues...
Very few of us on HT are old enough to have watched the orginal show (in b&w, no less!). I don't know if the show was later released into reruns.

The sidekick was of hispanic descent, hence the interesting variations of the English language! I still don't know if that was intentional or not. It would probably not be PC now but it was very funny then.

Menehune Man
March 12th, 2006, 07:38 AM
This was a great show, although I was way too young to get it back then in 1968 when Tricky Dick was president and Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and Judy Carne were go-go dancers on the show! Whatever happened to Joanne Worley and Ruth Buzzy? A lot of stars got their start on LAUGH IN!

Yes! You got it Lavagal.

Menehune Man
March 12th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Try this one...

A TV show where the characters are string puppets and they have 5 different spaceships?

mel
March 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM
The producers of The Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5, Gerry & Syliva Anderson went on to make Captain Scarlett & the Mysterons ("these are the voices of the mysterons") as well as the live action adventure scifi yarns U.F.O. and Space 1999 all of which I liked. They also produced a feature length movie in 1969 called Journey to the Far Side of the Sun which premise was that there was a parallel, mirror image Earth orbiting on the opposite side of the sun from Earth.

Dang.. I just realized I erased my original post on The Thunderbirds in this very message box... oh well..... :eek:

helen
March 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM
You must refering to Thunderbirds (or Thunderbirds are Go). However only Thunderbird 3 was a spaceship, Thunderbird 5 was an orbiting base. Thunderbird 1 and 2 were aircraft and Thunderbird 4 is an underwater craft.

And there was a Thunderbird 6, which was the subject of a movie about it.
Which happened to be a biplane

Try this one...

A TV show where the characters are string puppets and they have 5 different spaceships?

helen
March 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM
And the show was...?
Part of me wants to guess Zorro but the couple of episodes I have seen latey (a couple of years ago) the sidekick couldn't talk at all.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
If it was Zorro, then Tutusue's grandma dated Guy Williams? Also of Lost in Space fame.....

Menehune Man
March 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks Helen and Mel !

Yeah I really couldn't remember too much, but you jogged my memory. :o

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
The Wikipedia has a lot of info and links to stuff Gerry Anderson did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Anderson

Do a Google search on him and Sylvia and a bunch of pages come up regarding most of their TV series. The fan base for these shows are still quite strong. Most are available as boxed sets on DVD, though they tend to be pricey.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Forgot to mention that another Thunderbirds movie was also made called Thunderbirds Are Go which as I vague recall dealt with some out of control supersonic airliner.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM
OK.. still waiting for an answer on this:

"She sang the show's theme song and played a recurring role as a singer on this legal comedy show. Name the singer and the show."

Hint: Fox

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM
What show had two wahines who lived in Milwaukee and worked in a brewery?One of the two wahines became a famous movie producer and is the sister of another movie producer.

Miulang

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
What show had two wahines who lived in Milwaukee and worked in a brewery?One of the two wahines became a famous movie producer and is the sister of another movie producer.

I'll venture to guess LaVerne & Shirley. Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams?? Marshall I think produced the movie A League of Their Own in 1992.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
This one is real easy... A classic Bill Haley & the Comets song was used as the opener for this famous ABC TV comedy show in its first year only.

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I'll venture to guess LaVerne & Shirley. Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams?? Marshall I think produced the movie A League of Their Own in 1992.
Mel gets $20! :)

OK how about which TV show had a theme song with lyrics: "Who can light the world up with her smile...who can take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile..." Also set in Minneapolis, I believe.

Miulang

mel
March 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM
This very successful NBC Comedy show ran only 4 episodes in its first season.

Surfingfarmboy
March 12th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Mel gets $20! :)

OK how about which TV show had a theme song with lyrics: "Who can light the world up with her smile...who can take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile..." Also set in Minneapolis, I believe.

Miulang

The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I enjoyed, and still do when I can, watching re-runs of this TV classic.

BTW, the first year of the MTM show had a slightly different theme song that went like this:

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving
Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have the town, why don't you take it
You might just make it after all.
You might just make it after all.

Menehune Man
March 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM

What is... Friends?

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
The sidekick humorously mangled English.

I can't help thinking of Bill Dana's hilarious "Jose Jimenez" character.

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Part of me wants to guess Zorro but the couple of episodes I have seen latey (a couple of years ago) the sidekick couldn't talk at all.
Let the other part of you take a guess and see what happens! Zorro was a good guess but not the right one. ;)

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I can't help thinking of Bill Dana's hilarious "Jose Jimenez" character.
A bit too young for my grandma...he's even younger than my dad! But, yah, funny character. Dana appeared on the old Danny Thomas Show then on his own show.

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
If it was Zorro, then Tutusue's grandma dated Guy Williams? Also of Lost in Space fame.....
He's from Bill Dana's era. Still too young for my grandma!

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
[...]More clues...
Very few of us on HT are old enough to have watched the orginal show (in b&w, no less!). I don't know if the show was later released into reruns.

The sidekick was of hispanic descent, hence the interesting variations of the English language! I still don't know if that was intentional or not. It would probably not be PC now but it was very funny then.
The last few clues:
A western...
At least 50 years ago or more...
The sidekicks initials are LC...
I loved that show and watched it for several years before my grandma nonchalantly mentioned she'd dated LC. I was sooooo impressed and young enough to think that meant he was really my grandpa! :rolleyes:

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
What was the name of the sidekick on a game show starring a guy with facial hair but no beard?
Wow, you HTers really are a young bunch! :D
Another clue:
The star was known for his eyebrows and mustache! Any guesses on the sidekick?

mel
March 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Wow, you HTers really are a young bunch! :D
Another clue:

OK. After some thinking and looking up... I have to say it is "The Cisco Kid" given the number of hints you threw at us. His sidekick was Pancho.

More info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042093/

According to IMDB, this is available on DVD and home video. So everyone can be politically incorrect again! :)

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Okay, that has to be Groucho Marx so then gramma's beau was George Fenneman (http://www.whyaduck.com/images/other/fenneman.jpg).

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Okay, that has to be Groucho Marx so then gramma's beau was George Fenneman (http://www.whyaduck.com/images/other/fenneman.jpg).
DING! DING! DING! Mel got one of the answers! The show was the Cisco Kid. The sidekick's character name was Pancho. His real name was Leo Carillo. That took some digging, Mel!

DING! DING! DING! Lurkah...you're right with George Fenneman as Groucho's sidekick.

BUT...my gramma dated Leo Carillo, not George Fenneman! Like Guy Williams and Bill Dana, George was way too young for my gramma! ;)

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Well, I guess if I'd never heard of Cisco Kid, Pancho or Leo Carillo, I really shouldn't feel too old, I mean bad. :D

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
As a kid, my dad's nickname for me was Sapphire 'cuz I used to get so tan! While this is no longer a PC reference, decades ago it was acceptable and even a compliment considering Sapphire was a character in my all time favorite TV show.

And, Helen, you're too young but I'm sure you'll be able to name the show anyway! ;)
Ok all you younguns! Time for another clue!
First of all...a correction. It's Saffire, not Sapphire!
This show started in radio before CBS turned it into a series. It was in b&w, in more ways than one.

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Ok all you younguns! Time for another clue!
First of all...a correction. It's Saffire, not Sapphire!
This show started in radio before CBS turned it into a series. It was in b&w, in more ways than one.
The Jack Benny Show?

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 05:20 PM
amos n andy show.

B&W did it for me.

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Then who used to refer to "Ruby Begonia" all the time?

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
amos n andy show.

B&W did it for me.
We've got another WINNER! :D

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Then who used to refer to "Ruby Begonia" all the time?
I think Ruby was Amos' wife. :confused:

I'm looking forward to getting the DVD set!

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
By now you're all victims of my long term memory!
So...which radio-turned-tv "star" and show caused TV set sales to skyrocket? That's a 2 part question!

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Well, I guess if I'd never heard of Cisco Kid, Pancho or Leo Carillo, I really shouldn't feel too old, I mean bad. :D
Youth! hrmmmmmph! :rolleyes:

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM
So...which radio-turned-tv "star" and show caused TV set sales to skyrocket? That's a 2 part question!

Why, it's Orson Welles in "War of the Worlds", by cracky! :p

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
What was the name of one of the 50's B&W TV shows to celebrate the joys of the middle class nuclear family? The guy who played the son later grew up to become a motorbike racer and inventor of the Lovin' Thumb Self-Massager. The youngest daughter grew up to become a famous evangelist and motivational speaker.

Miulang

lavagal
March 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
As a first grader at St. Peter's School in Riverside, N.J., I was mesmerized by a certain TV show. After we ate in the cafeteria, which was below the cavernous church, we were permitted to go up and pray. I had my plan. I went up, kneeled at the altar, and waited for everyone to leave.

"Da-da-da-DUH!"
Snap fingers twice
"Da-da-da-DUH!
Snap fingers twice
"Da-da-da-DUH! Da-da-da-DUH! Da-da-da-DUH!"

Out came the priest from the sacristy.

I did what any normal kid would do. I crossed myself and quickly walked out of there. I was hugely embarrassed, but I never heard a thing about it. Two years later I joined the school choir. I loved the acoustics in that church!

So? What was that TV show? Hint: I don't know if I had done this on a Tuesday or not!

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
As a first grader at St. Peter's School in Riverside, N.J., I was mesmerized by a certain TV show. After we ate in the cafeteria, which was below the cavernous church, we were permitted to go up and pray. I had my plan. I went up, kneeled at the altar, and waited for everyone to leave.

"Da-da-da-DUH!"
Snap fingers twice
"Da-da-da-DUH!
Snap fingers twice
"Da-da-da-DUH! Da-da-da-DUH! Da-da-da-DUH!"

Out came the priest from the sacristy.

I did what any normal kid would do. I crossed myself and quickly walked out of there. I was hugely embarrassed, but I never heard a thing about it. Two years later I joined the school choir. I loved the acoustics in that church!

So? What was that TV show? Hint: I don't know if I had done this on a Tuesday or not!
The Addams Fameelee! ;)

lavagal
March 12th, 2006, 06:22 PM
The Addams Fameelee! ;)

Yup! And I cannot get that song out of my head! Should I sing it for my two little girls?! It will crack them up!

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
What was the name of one of the 50's B&W TV shows to celebrate the joys of the middle class nuclear family? The guy who played the son later grew up to become a motorbike racer and inventor of the Lovin' Thumb Self-Massager. The youngest daughter grew up to become a famous evangelist and motivational speaker.

Miulang
father knows best.

I watched Bud in his racing days firsthand at raceway parks...

oh.... he also played da keiki in
the day the earth stood still

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM
What show was set in an LA Barrio and had Jose Feliciano singing the theme song (two different songs...one at the beginning and one at the end of each show)?

Miulang

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:31 PM
What family show had the obnoxious character named Eddie Haskell in it? (I met the guy who played the older son in Hollywood many moons ago when the show was still on).

Miulang

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM
(erase...kimo and lavagal giving me lickens)

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
What show was set in an LA Barrio and had Jose Feliciano singing the theme song (two different songs...one at the beginning and one at the end of each show)?

Miulang
"Chico and the Man"

by Jose Feliciano

Song: Chico and the Man Lyrics

Chico, don't be discouraged,
The Man he ain't so hard to understand.
Chico, if you try now,
I know that you can lend a helping hand.

Because there's good in everyone
And a new day has begun
You can see the morning sun if you try.

And I know, things will be better
Oh yes they will for Chico and the Man
Yes they will for Chico and the Man.

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Why, it's Orson Welles in "War of the Worlds", by cracky! :p
I dunno, Lurkah. That wasn't what I had in mind! But, that doesn't mean you're wrong, either! Maybe there are 2...or more...answers! I was thinking of something/someone a bit more...ummm...comedic!

lavagal
March 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM
What family show had the obnoxious character named Eddie Haskell in it? (I met the guy who played the older son in Hollywood many moons ago when the show was still on).

Miulang

Leave it to Beaver! So was it Eddie Haskell who became Alice Cooper?

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Miulang
http://www.leaveittobeaver.org/gang/gang_eddie.htm

perfect description...

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Leave it to Beaver! So was it Eddie Haskell who became Alice Cooper?
No, he became an LA cop:

"...
The child-actor who became so memorable as the wise-cracking Eddie Haskell went on to a real life career as one of the "good guys," whose job is "to Protect and to Serve." Ken Osmond (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Haskell) served an 18 year career with the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). During his time on the force he worked in vice, narcotics and as a motorcycle officer. He retired after getting hit with three bullets while in a foot chase with a suspected car thief. He eventually returned to acting with appearances on Happy Days and the TV movie High School USA. Osmond reprised his role as “Eddie” on the TV series revival Still the Beaver and appeared in the 1997 feature film Leave It to Beaver. For the 1997 film, instead of attempting to replace Osmond's unforegettable Haskell character, Osmond played Eddie Haskell, Sr., with young actor Adam Zolotin in the role of Eddie Haskell, Jr...."

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I dunno, Lurkah. That wasn't what I had in mind! But, that doesn't mean you're wrong, either! Maybe there are 2...or more...answers! I was thinking of something/someone a bit more...ummm...comedic!

Rats, foiled again. That's what I get for trying to compete with da really old futs. :o

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
What comedy series featured a female character named Zelda?

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Miulang
"Leave it to Beaver"!

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Dobie Gillis

Miulang
March 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM
What show had a Japanese housekeeper and a child actor who later became part of the punk group "Dr. Know" and "The Dead Kennedys"?

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Dobie Gillis featured Sheila James as Zelda. I worked with Sheila on a commerical in the mid 60s. My dad was the director and told me she was the consummate pro.

She's now a politician (http://democrats.sen.ca.gov/templates/SDCTemplate.asp?pg=senbiography&cp=MemberPage&sln=Kuehl&sdn=23&zrn=Zone).

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
What show had a Japanese housekeeper and a child actor who later became part of the punk group "Dr. Know" and "The Dead Kennedys"?

The Courtship of Eddie's Makua Kane.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM

OK. Orson Welles was wrong on this one. I would suspect so, since the movie War of the Worlds IMO would not be good enough to drive long term sales of TV. It would have been a one time TV event/movie that would play in prime time a few years after its 1953 theaterical debut.

Given that almost no sets at the time received color nor were there that many TV stations that probably could broadcast in color, that would not drive TV sales. War of the Worlds is a beautifully done scifi color movie, which loses it when seen in black & white.

Plus Orson Welles had nothing to do with the making of the 1953 movie. A TV series based on the same movie debut in syndication in 1988.

That all said, I would venture to guess that a program that would have propelled TV sales in the 1950s would be something like The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy or quite possibly The Ed Sullivan Show especially if the debut of Elvis Presley was publicized weeks in advance.

Anyway, those are my speculative guesses.

lurkah
March 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
OK. Orson Welles was wrong on this one. I would suspect so, since the movie War of the Worlds IMO would not be good enough to drive long term sales of TV. It would have been a one time TV event/movie that would play in prime time a few years after its 1953 theaterical debut.

Given that almost no sets at the time received color nor were there that many TV stations that probably could broadcast in color, that would not drive TV sales. War of the Worlds is a beautifully done scifi color movie, which loses it when seen in black & white.

Plus Orson Welles had nothing to do with the making of the 1953 movie. A TV series based on the same movie debut in syndication in 1988.

That all said, I would venture to guess that a program that would have propelled TV sales in the 1950s would be something like The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy or quite possibly The Ed Sullivan Show especially if the debut of Elvis Presley was publicized weeks in advance.

Wow Mel, you could've just posted your speculative guesses without stomping all over my Orson Welles guess. http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/sticktongue.gif

mel
March 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Gees... my little remark on Orson Welles was not an attack on anyone. I don't know why I get that ugly red chiclet face.

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM
brandon cruz

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM
[...] That all said, I would venture to guess that a program that would have propelled TV sales in the 1950s would be something like The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy or quite possibly The Ed Sullivan Show especially if the debut of Elvis Presley was publicized weeks in advance.

Good guesses...but, keep guessing! The star and show I'm thinking of precede those above.

mel
March 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Good guesses...but, keep guessing! The star and show I'm thinking of precede those above.

Yep, kind of felt I had it wrong. I give up, but I offer this link of old radio shows. One of them on the list at the bottom is probably the program you're lookin' for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old-time_radio

:)

kimo55
March 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
part one:
Uncle

part two:
Milty

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
part one:
Uncle

part two:
Milty
I guess that makes part 3 Name that Show...ya ol' fut! :D

tutusue
March 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
This is a multi part question that probably wouldn't even make Trivial Pursuit!

Name one of the original cast members of Peyton Place who was married to a former Gidget?

Name the former Gidget...both stage name and real name!

mel
March 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I guess that makes part 3 Name that Show...ya ol' fut! :D

OK since its been more than 6 hours since this was posted and no one answered the question after more hints were thrown, I looked up old Uncle Milton Berle and found out that he had a TV program called Texaco Star Theater in the early 50s. I have never seen it, but I do remember he getting the nickname "Mr. Television." I guess before that he must have been "Mr. Radio".

More details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Berle

NBC took the chance and named Berle the permanent host of Texaco Star Theater---and launched an American icon. The show and its host owned Tuesday nights for the next several years, hitting the number one slot in the Nielsen ratings and keeping it with as much as an 80 percent share of the recorded viewing audience. Berle individually and the show itself each won Emmy Awards after the first season. Theaters, restaurants, and other businesses either closed completely or simply shut down for the hour so their customers wouldn't miss Berle's antics. He was credited with a huge spike in television set sales (many believe Berle helped sell more television sets in the U.S. than anyone else in the medium's early years), and between that and his stature as the medium's first superstar Berle earned the nickname "Mr. Television."

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 07:06 AM
OK since its been more than 6 hours since this was posted and no one answered the question after more hints were thrown, I looked up old Uncle Milton Berle and found out that he had a TV program called Texaco Star Theater in the early 50s. I have never seen it, but I do remember he getting the nickname "Mr. Television." I guess before that he must have been "Mr. Radio".

More details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Berle
And Part 3 Winner is...Uncle Mel! ;)

I loved the reference you cited to businesses shutting down for the hour the show was on the air. I'm old enough to remember watching the show but I don't remember the stir it created.

kimo55
March 13th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Name the former Gidget...both stage name and real name!
Sandra Dee
played
Francine Lawrence.
everyone called her Gidget.
Girl midget.

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Sandra Dee
played
Francine Lawrence.
everyone called her Gidget.
Girl midget.
GONG! Sorry, wrong Gidget! I don't recall Bobby Darrin appearing in Peyton Place. But, he did sing Mac the Knife to me in an elevator once! <swoom!>

Still looking for stage name and real name...not the character's name!
A reminder hint: she was married to one of the the original cast members of Peyton Place. Name that guy!
And, another clue: she was also a cast member of the "New Loretta Young Show".

Your answer, Kimo, brings up another coupla questions:
In addition to the Gidget you named and the one I'm thinking of, there's a 3rd movie Gidget. Name that one!

And...there was a tv series Gidget. Name her!

Now, here's an enticement none of you will be able to pass up!!! To the first person who answers all 5 questions above correctly in one reply (not a bunch of separate replies!) I will gift the song "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" from iTunes...if I can figure out how to do that! That offer, alone, is probably enough for all of you to put me on 'ignore'! :p

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Sally Field was the TV Gidget.

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Deborah Walley was one of the other movie Gidgets.

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Miulang...you're on a roll! If you find out the other answers, save 'em and put all 5 in one post!

Moto
March 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=tutusue]GONG! Sorry, wrong Gidget! I don't recall Bobby Darrin appearing in Peyton Place. But, he did sing Mac the Knife to me in an elevator once! <swoom!>

Tutusue, I believe you have the wrong Darren (Darrin). The actor who played Moondoggie was James Darren and not Bobby Darrin. He also recorded a few songs under the Coplix label along with other TV teen idols of the time, Shelly Fabres and Paul Peterson (of the Donna Reid Show). If I'm not mistaken, the song you're offering, Gidget Goes Hawaiian is sung by James Darren.

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=tutusue]GONG! Sorry, wrong Gidget! I don't recall Bobby Darrin appearing in Peyton Place. But, he did sing Mac the Knife to me in an elevator once! <swoom!>

Tutusue, I believe you have the wrong Darren (Darrin). The actor who played Moondoggie was James Darren and not Bobby Darrin. He also recorded a few songs under the Coplix label along with other TV teen idols of the time, Shelly Fabres and Paul Peterson (of the Donna Reid Show). If I'm not mistaken, the song you're offering, Gidget Goes Hawaiian is sung by James Darren.
Yes, James Darren was Moondoggie and did sing the Gidget songs but, other than that, is not connected to this thread except via iTunes! Kimo guessed Sandra Dee as the answer to my Gidget question. SD is the wrong answer 'cuz she was married to Bobby Darrin, who was not one of the cast members of Peyton Place. The name of that PP cast member is one of the questions and is a key piece to this puzzle! These are not household names now but they were at the time.

I probably have thoroughly confused everyone but this whole thing is clear in my brain 'cuz the Gidget answer I'm looking for was a childhood friend of mine. I'll never forget the joy in her eyes when she pulled into my parents driveway in a brand new, off-the-showroom-floor, canary yellow Corvette soon after the movie wrapped and she returned home from location. We were both 18 or 19! She eventually married a PP cast member but worked with James Darren (Moondoggie) in the movie. A correction...it appears this PP cast member wasn't in the original cast but did start early on in the series. I'm remembering him from the beginning but I guess I'm remembering wrong! :o

Another clue: She wasn't the Gidget in Gidget Goes Hawaiian! And, she didn't marry Ryan O'Neal! :rolleyes:

Buona fortuna...

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Karen Valentine was another Gidget. Was that who you grew up with, Tutusue?

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM
What show was filmed in Roslyn, WA and featured a moose wandering through town in its opening scene?

Miulang

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM
What oddball show made cherry pie famous?

Miulang

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Karen Valentine was another Gidget. Was that who you grew up with, Tutusue?
Well, I learn something new everyday! I had no idea Karen was a Gidget. My only memory of her was in Room 222.

Sorry, Miulang, that's a GONG but thanks for the trivia!

Fortuna migliore la volta prossima!

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
What show was filmed in Roslyn, WA and featured a moose wandering through town in its opening scene?

Miulang
Northern Exposure?

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Northern Exposure?
YUP! :) And the building with the painting on its side that's in the opening credits still exists!

Miulang

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:14 AM
What oddball show made cherry pie famous?

Miulang
The low carb cooking show on The Food Network? :D

Ummm...Twin Peaks?

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Well, I learn something new everyday! I had no idea Karen was a Gidget. My only memory of her was in Room 222.

Sorry, Miulang, that's a GONG but thanks for the trivia!

Fortuna migliore la volta prossima!
OK, OK, the Italiano gave it away...the other Gidget was Cindy Carol, who was in Gidget Goes to Rome, but I have no clue who on PP she was married to.

Miulang

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
The low carb cooking show on The Food Network? :D

Ummm...Twin Peaks?
Yup. Twede's (in North Bend, WA) the restaurant where some of the interiors for that show were shot, is still in business (in fact, I had lunch there a few weeks ago) and still packing them in with TP memorabilia! :)

Miulang

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM
OK, OK, the Italiano gave it away...the other Gidget was Cindy Carol, who was in Gidget Goes to Rome, but I have no clue who on PP she was married to.

Miulang
Google is your friend!

lurkah
March 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Cindy Carol and Christopher Connelly.

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
What was the name of the comedy show about a bunch of cops and from which 2 of the main actors later went on to star in another comedy together a few years later? Who were those 2 actors, and what was the name of the second show? A famous black comedian also had a part during the 1961-62 season of the cop show.

Miulang

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Cindy Carol and Christopher Connelly.
Four down...one to go!
Cindy Carol is a stage name. What's her real name?

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Four down...one to go!
Cindy Carol is a stage name. What's her real name?
Google says she also used "Carol Sydes"

lurkah
March 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Yeah, but who was her gynecologist? :rolleyes:

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 12:04 PM
What was the name of the comedy show about a bunch of cops and from which 2 of the main actors later went on to star in another comedy together a few years later? Who were those 2 actors, and what was the name of the second show? A famous black comedian also had a part during the 1961-62 season of the cop show.

Miulang
Does "Car 54 Where Are You" fit into this equation? <shrug!>

alohacandy
March 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM

LMAO Lurkah!!

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
That's her real name. So, if anyone knows how I can send Miulang an iTunes gift certificate for one song please let me know. It doesn't look like I can! No matters...cash works, too! You earned it, Miulang!

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Da Lurkah, S.A. :D

hidenori
March 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Miulang

Hey, Let me play! The cop show was Barney Miller. I think the second show was Fish. Black comedian: Ron Glass?

hidenori
March 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think Barney Miller is correct. I didn't notice the date of the shows.

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think Barney Miller is correct. I didn't notice the date of the shows.
January 23, 1975 - September 9, 1982
Good guess, tho'! Better than mine, I think!

lurkah
March 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Like TutuSue said, it was "Car 54 Where Are You" with Fred Gwynne(Herman Munster), Al Lewis(Herman's father-in-law), and black comedian Nipsey Russell.

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Like TutuSue said, it was "Car 54 Where Are You" with Fred Gwynne(Herman Munster), Al Lewis(Herman's father-in-law), and black comedian Nipsey Russell.
My guess was a total stab in the dark! And I completely missed The Munsters! Nipsey Russell, too. I don't remember him in Car 54 but then I didn't watch all that many episodes.

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Yes. Lurkah is right. The 2 comedians were Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis (who just died recently) and Nipsey Russell did play another policeman in that show.

Tutusue: don't worry about any prizes. I don't own an iPod so it's just fun trying to remember all those hours spent in front of the TV...ah wasted youth! :) Since you knew some of those Hollywood kids, did you also happen to know Yolanda Velez? Her Mom and Dad were very famous dancers in the 1950s and 60s (Veloz and Yolanda). She went on and married Bernie Kopell of the Love Boat.

Miulang

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
The name of a short-lived TV series that was a remix of an earlier series (name this one too). Ellen deGeneres was featured as the receptionist in a real estate office in the second series. Jack Lemmon's son was a main character in both series.

Miulang

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
What gawd awful 60's show featured a talking car?(no, not Herbie)

Miulang

kimo55
March 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
thankfully one year; 66

'My Mother The Car'
lawyer Dave Crabtree (Jerry Van Dyke from 'Coach'),

zztype
March 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM
That's her real name. So, if anyone knows how I can send Miulang an iTunes gift certificate for one song please let me know. It doesn't look like I can! No matters...cash works, too! You earned it, Miulang!

Sue,

Go to iTunes store, find the song you want, there should be a "Gift This Music" button somewhere in the song description area or the album description area.

Blaine

zztype
March 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Sue,

The deed is done. I gifted "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" to Miulang, with a note from you!

Blaine

kimo55
March 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
does that mean you sent a gif of Ted to her?

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM
[...]Tutusue: don't worry about any prizes. I don't own an iPod so it's just fun trying to remember all those hours spent in front of the TV...ah wasted youth! :) Since you knew some of those Hollywood kids, did you also happen to know Yolanda Velez? Her Mom and Dad were very famous dancers in the 1950s and 60s (Veloz and Yolanda). She went on and married Bernie Kopell of the Love Boat.

Miulang
I'll make you a deal. When and if you ever get an iPod I'll buy you your first tune, okay?!

My show biz kid acquaintances were limited to those who attended the same public schools I did in the San Fernando Valley. I don't think I ever met Yolanda so I googled the 3 of them. I wish I had seen the parents dance.

zztype
March 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I'll make you a deal. When and if you ever get an iPod I'll buy you your first tune, okay?!

My show biz kid acquaintances were limited to those who attended the same public schools I did in the San Fernando Valley. I don't think I ever met Yolanda so I googled the 3 of them. I wish I had seen the parents dance.
You don't have to own an iPod to listen to iTunes music. iTunes is free software for playing MP3 and MP4 music.

Go to http://www.itunes.com and download the latest version for free. Install um and then check the email that you received when I sent you the song. Create an account on the iTunes store and then you'll get the song downloaded to your computer.

You can also take your existing CDs and import the music to your iTunes software and can listen to music while you work.

Super easy, super fun! I have about 75% of my CD collection on my computer in iTunes. I have it "shuffle" the songs while it plays. I'm constantly surprised at what it chooses to play!

Blaine

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Sue,

The deed is done. I gifted "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" to Miulang, with a note from you!

Blaine
Wow! Whatta guy, Blaine! Ok, Miulang, that's your cue to buy an iPod!

Sorry, can't find a 'gift this song' button anywhere. A user problem, I'm sure! But, if I can find it let me know what song you'd like and I'll repay you!

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
You don't have to own an iPod to listen to iTunes music. iTunes is free software for playing MP3 and MP4 music.
[...]
True...but an iPod is just too cool! I have an iHome in my office waiting room. Whichever assistant is working that day can bring her own iPod and listen to her favorite music thruout the day.

Jeez...anymore about iTunes and iPods and we'll need to move this thread to Circuit Circus! :rolleyes:

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
thankfully one year; 66

'My Mother The Car'
lawyer Dave Crabtree (Jerry Van Dyke from 'Coach'),
Correctamundo

Still looking for the name of the comedy series that had Jack Lemmon's kid as a main character and then in the remix, Ellen deGeneres as the receptionist! :D

Miulang

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Correctamundo

Still looking for the name of the comedy series that had Jack Lemmon's kid as a main character and then in the remix, Ellen deGeneres as the receptionist! :D

Miulang
Chris Lemmon? Duet?

Miulang
March 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Chris Lemmon? Duet?
That was the first series. Now what was the name of the remix of that series?

kimo55
March 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM
here; I am shooting. draw target around the one that hits.

"Open House"

"Laurie Hill"

"These Friends of Mine"

"These Friends"

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM
here; I am shooting. draw target around the one that hits.

"Open House"
[...]
That's the one!

Menehune Man
March 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM
How 'bout a show where a large German Officer says "I know nuhtink!"?

Or another with a cute secret agent-# 99?

helen
March 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
How 'bout a show where a large German Officer says "I know nuhtink!"?

Hogan's Heroes. However Schultz was a sergeant, not a officer.

Or another with a cute secret agent-# 99?
Get Smart

Menehune Man
March 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
There goes Helen! Getting mines again!
A sargaent isn't an officer? I've never been in the military so just figured a title meant officer. Thanks.

mel
March 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Seems like a few of the questions I asked earlier in this thread got lost in the shuffle of newer replies. So here they are once again to jog the ol' noggin...

Msg. #91

"She sang the show's theme song and played a recurring role as a singer on this legal comedy show. Name the singer and the show."

Msg. #94

This one is real easy... A classic Bill Haley & the Comets song was used as the opener for this famous ABC TV comedy show in its first year only.

Msg. #96

mel
March 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Here's a new question.

She was married to 2 Dicks who played a _ _ _ _ _ _ .

What were the names of the Dicks, the character they played, the name of her and the program?

tutusue
March 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Here's a new question.

She was married to 2 Dicks who played a _ _ _ _ _ _ .

What were the names of the Dicks, the character they played, the name of her and the program?
Dick Sargeant
Dick York
Darrin
Elizabeth Montgomery
Bewitched
I think! :D

mel
March 14th, 2006, 03:29 AM
You Got It! :)

BTW, Elizabeth Montgomery's character's name was Samantha Stephens.

mel
March 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM
He was once "Flounder" but played a character that would become emperor in this series. Name the actor, his character's name and title of the TV series.

Moto
March 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Seems like a few of the questions I asked earlier in this thread got lost in the shuffle of newer replies. So here they are once again to jog the ol' noggin...

Msg. #94

That would be Happy Days using Bill Haley's "Rock around the Clock"

Moto
March 14th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Msg. #91

This must be Vonda Sheppard (SP?) of Ally McBeal.

Moto
March 14th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Msg. #96

Different Strokes?

mel
March 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Moto, you got Ally McBeal and Happy Days. Try again on #96.

mel
March 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Mutual of Omaha was one of the main sponsors for this TV documentary series. What was the series name?

helen
March 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Mutual of Omaha was one of the main sponsors for this TV documentary series. What was the series name?
Wild Kingdom (or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom).

Moto
March 14th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Wild Kingdom (or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom).

I thought it was an NBC Comedy?

mel
March 14th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Correct answer on Wild Kingdom.

pzarquon
March 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM
This very successful NBC Comedy show ran only 4 episodes in its first season.You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have... The Facts of Life.

He was once "Flounder" but played a character that would become emperor in this series. Name the actor, his character's name and title of the TV series.Stephen Furst ("Flounder" in the movie Animal House) played Vir Cotto in Babylon 5.

mel
March 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have... The Facts of Life.

Um..no... try again.

Stephen Furst ("Flounder" in the movie Animal House) played Vir Cotto in Babylon 5.

Yes. Correct as prophesized by the Lady Morella, Vir Cotto did succeed Londo Mollari as emperor of the Centauri empire at the end of Babylon 5's series run.

Miulang
March 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
What B&W series was supposed to teach people that lots of money could either be a good or a bad thing? The name of one of the characters is one of the classiest I have ever heard.

Miulang

tutusue
March 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
What B&W series was supposed to teach people that lots of money could either be a good or a bad thing? The name of one of the characters is one of the classiest I have ever heard.

Miulang
Just a guess...
The Millionaire
John Beresford Tipton

Miulang
March 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Just a guess...
The Millionaire
John Beresford Tipton
Yup! Doncha just loooove that name? :)

Miulang
March 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
What series set in Hollywood featured a guy with really nice hair who was always combing it? And what was the name of that actor and what song did his antics on the series inspire?

Miulang

kimo55
March 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
kookie, kookie lend me yer comb

Gerald Lloyd Kookson, II (aka "Kookie" played by Edd Byrnes)

77 sunset strip

Miulang
March 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
kookie, kookie lend me yer comb

Gerald Lloyd Kookson, II (aka "Kookie" played by Edd Byrnes)

77 sunset strip
Yup! Efraim Zimbalist, Jr. was my fave actor.

Miulang

Miulang
March 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM
What series was set in the Pacific and featured a Korean War vet who shuttled various people around on his boat the Tiki III? What was the name of the character and the actor who protrayed him? This actor died in Honolulu a few years ago.

Miulang

tutusue
March 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
What series was set in the Pacific and featured a Korean War vet who shuttled various people around on his boat the Tiki III? What was the name of the character and the actor who protrayed him? This actor died in Honolulu a few years ago.

Miulang
Adventures in Paradise
Capt. Adam Troy
Gardner McKay
:rolleyes:

kimo55
March 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM
they got a nostalgia channel here that plays 77 sunset strip as well as hawaiian eye.

fun to see the ol stuff we...

( or a few of us remaining oldsters) grew up on.

helen
March 14th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Let me try this trivia question. One of this character's nemisis in one episode claims he is rich, rich enough to own a big boat and a big house. Another episode he claims he is a vegeterian.

So who is this character? And the name of the nemisis?

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 06:50 AM
You got me stumped, Helen. Try this one: which series featured 2 astronauts who broke through the speed of light and ended up dodging dinosaurs?

Miulang

mel
March 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Try this one: which series featured 2 astronauts who broke through the speed of light and ended up dodging dinosaurs?

I would venture to guess the very short lived series of the mid 1960s called It's About Time.

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I would venture to guess the very short lived series of the mid 1960s called It's About Time.
Yup, and I really loved its theme song!

mel
March 15th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I vaguely remember a few bars from the song:

"It's about time, it's about space, it's about time in a different place."

Moto
March 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I vaguely remember a few bars from the song:

"It's about time, it's about space, it's about time in a different place."

I thought it went "It's about time, it's about space, it's about people in the strangest place.

helen
March 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM
For a show that lasted only one season, it did have two different starting sequences. The music was the same but the lyrics are slightly different, I know the ending and middle lyrics are different since the season started with the astronauts going back in time, but later in the season they went forward in time bring back a prehistoric family with them to present day. I don't know if the lyrics are different at the beginning.

kimo55
March 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
It's about time,
It's about space,
About strange people in the strangest place.
It's about time,
It's about flight,
Travelin' faster than the speed of light.

About space people and a brave crew,
As through the barrier of time they flew.
Pass the Roman Senators,
Pass an armored knight,
Pass the firing Minutemen,
To this modern site.

It's about time for you and me
To meet these people of amazing feats.
It's about two astronauts and how they educate
A pre-historic woman and her pre-historic mate.

It's about time
It's about space
About strange people in the strangest place
They will be here
With all of us
Dodging a taxi, a car, a bus.

Where will they go
What will they do
In this strange place where everything is new.
Will they manage to survive
Watch each week and see.
Will they get accustomed to the Twentieth Century.

It's about time
For our good byes
To all our pre-historic gals and guys.

And now,
It's About Time
It's About Time
It's About Time
It's About Time!

helen
March 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
That lyrics would be the 2nd half. The part they go back.

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
What TV show introduced many well known future TV personalities in improv sketches? The piano playing host was also a very famous composer.

Miulang

mel
March 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I recall Liberache had his own TV show in the late 60s.

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I recall Liberache had his own TV show in the late 60s.
He did, but this show preceded Liberace's by a few years. Another hint: his son became a follower of the Love Israel cult.

Miulang

tutusue
March 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
What TV show introduced many well known future TV personalities in improv sketches? The piano playing host was also a very famous composer.

Miulang
In this country? What decade? Wow...this is a stumper! :confused:

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM
In this country? What decade? Wow...this is a stumper! :confused:
US, in the 1950s, ran for 10 years (into the 60s). Had a well-publicized feud with another big variety show host of the era. One regular on the show went on to be a main character on "Laugh-In". Another later advertised a fashion accessory which was subjected to repeated "torture" by a pachyderm to prove that whatever happened, it would still keep working. Another recently-deceased performer first practiced the schtick he would be famous for later on on other TV series and movies. Another regular went on to partner with the likes of Carol Burnett on her series. Another one guest hosted on "Saturday Night Live" several times.

Miulang

helen
March 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
The commerical you cited in the hint would be a Timex commerical. The partner for Carol Burnett you are referring to is more than likey to be Harvey Korman.

I don't think it's Sid Ceaser's Your Show of Shows even through his rivial for the time slot was the Lawerence Welk show.

I was about to guess the Dean Martin show but he started in the 1960's not the 1950's.

I am guessing that the rival show might be the Ed Sullivan show, if that is true I have no clue as to the original question.

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
The commerical you cited in the hint would be a Timex commerical.Yes, and who was the actor with the classy name in that commercial?

The partner for Carol Burnett you are referring to is more than likey to be Harvey Korman. No, not Harvey Korman.

I don't think it's Sid Ceaser's Your Show of Shows even through his rivial for the time slot was the Lawerence Welk show.Nope.

I was about to guess the Dean Martin show but he started in the 1960's not the 1950's.Guess again.

I am guessing that the rival show might be the Ed Sullivan show, if that is true I have no clue as to the original question. Yes, the Ed Sullivan show played against this show in the same time slot on Sundays. The Ed Sullivan Show was around about 8 years before this particular show, which is why the feuding between the two hosts occurred over formatting.

This series lost the ratings war to the Ed Sullivan Show, so the network moved it to a different time slot for a year. Then it got picked up by another network and finally ended its run at ABC in 1960. Then it got renamed and went into syndication for a few more years, finally ending its run at NBC in 1981. This host has been credited with launching more careers than just about any other person in the industry.

Miulang

helen
March 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Would the Carol Burnett clue be Tim Conway (he came on late in the show's run)? If that being the case Conway and Don Knotts did some movies in the 1970's together, I can only assume they worked together in the past.

I am guessing the Danny Thomas Show?

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Would the Carol Burnett clue be Tim Conway (he came on late in the show's run)? If that being the case Conway and Don Knotts did some movies in the 1970's together, I can only assume they worked together in the past.

Yup. This host's wife was also an actress who regularly appeared on his show. This actress was also part of a sister acting team.

He was pretty much self-taught as a musician (3 years of piano), but wrote music and lyrics for stage plays, produced more than 75 albums/CDs, and was well known for being a jazz musician.

Y'all are going to kick yourselves when you find out who this guy is, because he was a man of incredible talent.

Miulang

lurkah
March 15th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Y'all are going to kick yourselves when you find out who this guy is, because he was a man of incredible talent.

Steve Allen?

Miulang
March 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
YES!!! The name of the original show was "The Steve Allen Show". In subsequent incarnations, it was renamed "The Steve Allen Comedy Hour". He created and was the first host of "The Tonight Show". His wife, Audrey Meadows was the sister of Jayne Meadows, the main female character on "The Honeymooners".

Here is a link (http://www.steveallen.com/music/composer.htm) to his career as a lyricist and composer. Hard to believe that just one man could have done all this. They sure don't make any more like him these days.

Miulang

P.S. Lurkah: next time I see you I give you some home made manapua as your prize! :p

Moto
March 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM
The commerical you cited in the hint would be a Timex commerical.Yes, and who was the actor with the classy name in that commercial?
Was the actor John Cameron Swayze (SP?)

tutusue
March 15th, 2006, 09:45 PM
YES!!! The name of the original show was "The Steve Allen Show". [...]
OMG...I can't believe I didn't get this one. Steve Allen is, without a doubt and in my not so humble opinion, one of the most talented human beings to ever set foot on this earth. Loved, loved, loved his show!

Miulang
March 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Was the actor John Cameron Swayze (SP?)
Yes it was.

Miulang
March 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
What private eye show started out on radio in the late 40s and moved onto TV in the 1950s? It was created by Blake Edwards and produced by Dick Powell (he also voiced the lead role), but when it moved to TV, another actor took over the main role because Powell felt he was too "old". This show also featured a "car telephone" which at the time was just a dream in most consumer's heads. The first "secretary/receptionist" (who was only a voice and headless body on the TV series) on this series lost her role when her identity was revealed by TV Guide. She later went on to become a very famous TV personality in her own right.

Miulang

Moto
March 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
The show sounds like Dick Tracy or was it a watch that was a phone? I know that Agent 86, Maxwell Smart had a shoe phone... Now what was the question??

Moto
March 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Ok now I remember the question, was Peter Gunn, but I don't know the secretary name. Cool theme song, though. Still hear it at some football games.

lurkah
March 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
What private eye show started out on radio in the late 40s and moved onto TV in the 1950s? It was created by Blake Edwards and produced by Dick Powell (he also voiced the lead role), but when it moved to TV, another actor took over the main role because Powell felt he was too "old". This show also featured a "car telephone" which at the time was just a dream in most consumer's heads. The first "secretary/receptionist" (who was only a voice and headless body on the TV series) on this series lost her role when her identity was revealed by TV Guide. She later went on to become a very famous TV personality in her own right.

Richard Diamond, Private Detective, and the headless body belonged to Mary Tyler Moore.

Miulang
March 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Richard Diamond, Private Detective, and the headless body belonged to Mary Tyler Moore.
Correct...2 moa manapua for Lurkah

Miulang