Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from NY!

Hello everyone!

I've been checking out HT for a while now so I guess its finally time to make my first post ...plus it's another way for me to procrastinate!
    I'm from NYC, born and raised, but spent last summer in Oahu on an internship for school. I stayed in Waikiki most of the time but I did get to explore the island when I wasn't busy working 2 jobs (1st one was unpaid ), trying to understand pidgin, getting a tan, spending more money than I earned--whoever says NYC is expensive has never been to HI!--, and eating as much poke nd papaya as possible!

Favorite day in Hawaii was when I was trying to go to Dole and accidently got on the the all-island bus. Me and my friend ended up getting off the bus in random places and discovering the beach near Kualoa Ranch, 2 different shrimp trucks in Kahuku, including Giovannis, and Ted's Bakery before FINALLY getting to Dole just in time to go around the maze before they closed.

I guess it's time to stop, I'm getting such a cravin for some ono chocolate haupia pie. Just thought I'd say hi!

Re: Aloha from NY!

Welcome to HT, Pongs. Have you been to either of the L&L Hawaiian BBQ places in NYC yet?

If you get the joneses for local food, go there and be reminded! No chocolate haupia pie, though

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com Pongs! Gosh! You made me hungry too with your writing of Chocolate Haupia Pie - my favorite!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

HI. I am new to this site so bear with me. I'm glad you enjoyed your time on Oahu. I will be heading to NYC in mid May. I will be staying in the Times Square area. Any suggestions on hot spots in Manhattan, eateries, etc... Any of your suggestions will be highly welcomed.

Comment

Yup I have been to one of the NYC L&Ls It's definately not the same but not too bad either for a filling plate lunch. I would looove to try Roy's, perhaps when I save up some $$$. .

Don't really know about hot spots in the city...mostly b/c I can't afford them but if you're visiting from HI you should definately check out our CHINATOWN, try Joe's Shanghai for soup dumplings, Ferraras in nearby Little Italy for the best Tiramisu, and check out the view of Central Park from the lobby bar in the 35th floor of the Mandarin Oriental.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Welcome to Hawaii Thread Pongs. From upstate, living in Japan now, moving to Oahu tomorrow.

As for suggestion of places in New York, if youre going to be in Chinatown and Little Italy, you wont be too far from the East Village which is a must. And while New York has a ton of great upscale places to eat, its famous for its pizza. Every person who lives in the city has their own personal recommendation for pizza. What about you Pong? (I don`t count because Im upstate.) When people come to visit, I always introduce them to the fallafel, which is a greek food I think, but Ive only ever seen it NY. Happy travels.

Comment

Wow, lucky you I would love to go back to Oahu!

Haha yeah......upstate pizza sucks . But in the city, I actually dont have one in particular I like.

Falafel is from the middle east i think? israel maybe? Mamouns near NYU west village has $2 falafels, its the perfect cheap late night snack. East village is like a mini Japanese city all in itself I feel...

Good luck with your move!

Comment

I am stationed at Ft Drum, New York!

The BEST way to see New York,
                is in the REAR VIEW mirror as you are leaving it!

It totally SUCKS here!
                I despise very day of it....

Comment

I feel for you Pala. You are really UPSTATE. Just near Canada eh?

About an hour outside the city isnt too bad. A lot of people there are commuting to Manhatten for work, and can still afford a big house with property. No such option here on Oahu it seems.

Pizza. . . couple good places upstate and in Jersey, Pongs. Lot of pizza place owners moved upstate to start a business. But I wouldnt gamble on the random place.

Comment

Working...
                  X