Best Kama'aina Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Kama'aina Deals

An article in today's Advertiser states that kama'aina deals aren't as good as they used to be because of higher hotel occupancy:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...603130309/1071

Last week I booked a room at the Sheraton Maui for April, and the kama'aina rate was 60% off the rack rate for that room type. Rack rates are always inflated, but the kama'aina rate was still $200 cheaper per night than any other rate I could find. That seemed pretty good to me!

Have you gotten any good kama'aina deals lately? What kind of killer deals did you find in the past?

Re: Best Kama'aina Deals

...a long overdue bump in this thread; a thread that had no replies! Maybe we can do better now that the economy is tanking.

Personally I feel kamaaina deals will increase in the not too distant future. Hopefully this thread will be used to post any good kamaaina deals HTers run across. Please share!

I noticed in today's paper that Atlantis Seafood & Steak in Waikiki has a 10% Kamaaina Discount...local ID required. No expiration date stated. Not a huge discount, for sure, but better than zero! Maybe it'll increase next year!

The following isn't restricted to kamaaina. Again, in today's Advertiser:
    Shore Bird in the Outrigger Reef Hotel - 50% off "entire food value of check for parties of 4 or less, one entree per guest". It appears that it applies to breakfast, lunch or dinner. It expires 7/27. 50% off? That's a great deal!

Ok...that's it for starters! Next!

Comment

There's an article in the Hawaii's Business Today section of the Honolulu Advertiser(July 19)about Honolulu ranking low in coupon clipping cities in the US.
      Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 20, 2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        There's an article in the Hawaii's Business Today section of the Honolulu Advertiser(July 19)about Honolulu ranking low in coupon clipping cities in the US.
        That doesn't surprise me. So many people hold down more than one job. Who has time to clip coupons?! That said, coupon clipping overall has increased due to the increase in grocery prices. I can't be bothered with 25¢ here and 50¢ there. My time is more valuable. But, 50% off a food tab for 4 people gets my attention. I've clipped that one!

I have a colleague/friend who loves coupons. We're always emailing each other the really good ones. Last week she sent me 2...one for a free iced coffee at Starbucks and another for a Jamba Juice BOGO free. I missed the JJ deadline. We're not sure the Starbucks offer is good in Hawaii. I'll find out Wednesday. That's also the day it expires.

We're both very low maintenance chicks!

Comment

On Subway's nationwide commercial jingle of "Five Dollar Foot Long," has a disclaimer of being $5.99 in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            On Subway's nationwide commercial jingle of "Five Dollar Foot Long," has a disclaimer of being $5.99 in Hawaii.
            I've seen signage to that effect in the stores' windows also. Hmmm...maybe Subway should offer a $5. kamaaina only rate in Hawaii?! In addition, only select sandwiches qualify; not every sandwich on the menu.

Comment

Costco occasionally runs a $3 whole-pizza coupon in their mailer... best $10 pizza in town without the coupon.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I don't know if it is different on Oahu, but I have regularly gotten kama'aina discounts on everything from hotel rooms to restaurant tabs to art work and clothing - even pizza from Pizza Hut. I've never had to ask either - it has always been offered. I'd say that maybe this is a Maui thing, but I have experienced this on Molokai and the BI as well. Maybe it's a neighbor island thing?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  I don't know if it is different on Oahu, but I have regularly gotten kama'aina discounts on everything from hotel rooms to restaurant tabs to art work and clothing - even pizza from Pizza Hut. I've never had to ask either - it has always been offered. I'd say that maybe this is a Maui thing, but I have experienced this on Molokai and the BI as well. Maybe it's a neighbor island thing?
                  That's very cool. Do the various businesses ask your status then check your ID? I can't think of a time that I've had the discount offered without first asking.

Comment

$25.00 tickets to Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park at Costco!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

While the following isn't limited to kamaaina it'll appeal more to locals than visitors:
                      Caesars $3.93 dry cleaners
                      Sale - $2.99 per garment
                      July 22 thru 24 only

Now...here's the interesting "*" at the bottom of the ad (it's not a coupon):
                      "Some restrictions apply. See store for details. +5.5% fuel surcharge"

Yep...they're now charging for the gas used for their pick-up and delivery vehicle as the plant is in a separate location. Sign of the times I guess. Hmmm...I wonder if they apply the surcharge to their regular $3.93 price?

I'm pretty sure the restrictions apply to leather, certain silks and any other delicate or time intensive fabrics.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        That's very cool. Do the various businesses ask your status then check your ID? I can't think of a time that I've had the discount offered without first asking.
                        I think it's different every time. Like when we went to Molokai last summer, I just reserved a room and gave the info. I was quoted the regular price. But when we got there, the woman at the desk saw our address and scolded me for not saying something on the phone and reduced our rate + gave us breakfast (turns out she knew where I lived and we both knew some of the same people). Other times it comes out in conversation (I tend to be chatty and will talk to anyone). And sometimes it comes up if I pay with my BOH card. It doesn't happen every time I go somewhere, but often enough. Ironically, I would never ask for a discount. It never occurred to me that this didn't happen to everyone. I'll bet it happens more on the neighbor islands. One of the downfalls of living in the big city . I have to go to Honolulu in a couple of weeks on business - we'll see if I get any discounts then .

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          [...]I have to go to Honolulu in a couple of weeks on business - we'll see if I get any discounts then .
                          If a discount isn't obvious be sure to ask if they (whoever "they" may be!) give a kamaaina discount. I think I'll ask that question...everywhere on Oahu from now on!

Unrelated to "kamaaina", just today I placed 2 online orders...one at Macys.com and the other at abacus24-7.com (printer ink). Right before I hit the "submit order" button I decided to do a search on promotional codes and/or coupons. I found great codes for both and saved a whole bunch of buckaroonies...all for necessary merchandise. I'm feeling very smug right now!

Comment

The Jamba Juice website currently has a buy one get one free coupon for their smoothies. Coupon expires 7/30.

Costco website had a 2 yr. 24 hr. Fitness Club Membership certificate for $289 + shipping and handling fees. You can use nearly all of their facilities at any time (I think Ultra Sport are excluded).

I'm offering a 15% discount on Avon purchases for anyone who donates $15 or more to the Kau Kau Wagon's fundraising efforts with the Hawaii Food Bank Hunger Walk (message me for more details).

Comment

"The following isn't restricted to kamaaina. Again, in today's Advertiser:
                              Shore Bird in the Outrigger Reef Hotel - 50% off "entire food value of check for parties of 4 or less, one entree per guest". It appears that it applies to breakfast, lunch or dinner. It expires 7/27. 50% off? That's a great deal!"

Do note the small print on that coupon; if used for dinner it is only valid after 8 PM. That coupon has been run every week for the last three months.
                              Last edited by Fritz; July 23, 2008, 12:59 AM.
                              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                              X