Driver's Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's Test

I am getting my license for the first time as an adult and taking my test soon...having not taken any formal driver's training or classes, I am just wondering what to expect. I am taking my road test at the Dillingham office. Any advice? Do I need to know all the surrounding street names? any trick areas to watch for?

Test a week away and counting.

Mahalo nui loa.

Re: Driver's Test

You will have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever!

Its a piece of CAKE! (Take it from a37 year old!)

Just make sure you come to a COMPLETE stop at stop signs.
    And make sure you use the TURN SIGNALS!

You will NOT need to know ANY street names!
    Just tell the person who will be with you to please tell you where
    to turn, and that you do NOT KNOW the street names!

No big deal!

But, its a pain in the rear getting a MOTORCYCLE lisence!
    (We wont talk about that! I was a REAL labor to get mine! Its as though
    they do NOT WANT YOU riding a bike on Oahu!)

Good Luck!

Comment

The first thing I think about when it comes to road tests is the early morning long lines. The demand is incredible. I'm not sure if they've yet implemented an easier scheduling system, but when my wife took her test, we made sure we were at the location well before dawn... and there were already 20 people ahead of us.

Comment

Originally posted by flutterbynite
        I am getting my license for the first time as an adult and taking my test soon...having not taken any formal driver's training or classes, I am just wondering what to expect. I am taking my road test at the Dillingham office. Any advice? Do I need to know all the surrounding street names? any trick areas to watch for?

Test a week away and counting.

Mahalo nui loa.
        I know different testers take you to different locations when they do the road test...(speaking from having to take it twice)

There is this mean bike lane that the tester will ask you to take a right at...

The bike lane is two solid lanes until about 5 - 10 yards before you take the right.... then it is two lines one of them being dotted (the left line)

YOU CANNOT CROSS into the bike lane until you hit those dots...(I feel the dots are placed to close to the corner... however, It's still the rule of the road... don't cross into the bike lane until the you see a single dotted line)

(also, on the second drive... there is a school in the area and if you don't notice the speed sign... and obey the 15 mph when schools in session... you will get dropped for that... and school is pretty much in session during the hours of your drivers test unless the kids are on break)

Hope this helps,

Good luck...

Manoa

Comment

I got a question for the "new drivers" out there (those who got their license 5-6 months ago): do you feel that you needed drivers ed?

The reason why I ask, is because my older brother is trying to get his drivers license before he goes back to the mainland this weekend, and he failed it two times (one last week, one today). He did drive on the mainland (with his permit) and me and him 'been driving around town during the past couple of weeks.

I went through the DOE's drivers ed class in HS, but I got my license 3 years later. I don't think he went through any formal drivers ed class.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

i know someone who, about a year ago, had to get his license. he went to the dillingham location to get it, but get this--he went there at 3:00 a.m. and pretty much camped out there to make sure he would be able to take a test that day.

don't know whether things have improved much since then. i used to run into this guy who administered driver's license testing at the ocean club now and again. last i heard, he was out on worker's comp bcs an applicant got into a rear-ender and my friend ended up exacerbating a bad shoulder injury. he did say that even then, there were staff shortages that led to the difficulty of getting test times.

i suggest you call the dillingham ofc in advance to see what their procedures are for testing and whether you should make an appointment or at least find out how early people start showing up at the place.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
            X