Melatonin as a sleeping aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melatonin as a sleeping aid?

I know this is sold as a health product in the stores... however, I also know the stuff will knock you out....(Supposedly without much consequences)

I've used it a few times...and yes it knocks you out!!! (not in a "druggie way" however, in a "I need go sleep now way....")

Anyone else have any experience with it...

I know someone out there is going to give me the scientific explanation about how everyone has melatonin in there body naturally...etc....

I just want to know if anyone else has tried it...and/or had any positive/negative experiences with the pill.

They come in different dosages...I've seen them from 1 mg to 5 mg....

3 mg pill seems to make me want to go to sleep within 1 hour after taking it...

IS THIS A FRICKING DRUG????

any comments would be helpful...

Mahalo,

Manoa

Re: Melatonin as a sleeping aid?

Like anything else, Melatonin works for some and not others. I've tried both the 3mg and 1mg doses. They both work, but...

My experience turned negative with the 5th dose (iow, the 5th consecutive night). The next morning, soon after getting up, I was overwhelmed with what I call a 'physical depression'. I needed to go back to sleep and was concerned that I'd be able to walk as far as the bedroom. There's no way I could've gotten behind the wheel of a car. By noon it was out of my system and I was ok. This happened twice before I realized the correlation. The exact same phenomenon happened to a friend of mine.

I don't have this side effect taking the 1mg dose 2-3 times a week. Whenever I take it I have vivid dreams. And, I take it with my sleep doc's approval.

Just one tutu's experience...

Comment

I have a friend who has been using melatonin to help her sleep for a couple years now and she's had no side effects.

However, I used to take melatonin regularly (1-2 times a week) and after about 3 months I started feeling depressed the day after using the melatonin. It did help me to fall asleep, but the mild depression was not worth it to me. The depression went away as soon as I stopped using it.

Comment

Tried it once and threw the rest of the bottle away. Made me sick. It kinda made feel anxious, nervous, antsy, felt a little dizzy. I felt like I needed to sleep, but the mind kept racing. I took this years ago in hopes of relieving some of the jet lag I was getting from traveling several times a year.

My brother suggested I try Valerium, an herbal muscle relaxant. I have a bad back that usually keeps me from staying asleep. I take 2 V tabs with 2 tabs of Ibuprofen and I'm outta here. It doesn't come on like gangbusters like Melatonin. Just kinda creeps up on you.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          [...]IS THIS A FRICKING DRUG????[...]
          It's a hormone.

Comment

One in six Americans frequently have difficulty falling asleep, and 4.5 percent of them use some type of alternative medicine to treat their sleeping problems, a new study shows.
            "Most respondents who used herbal therapies or relaxation techniques found these therapies helpful for managing their insomnia or trouble sleeping,"
            Alternative medicine use was more common among younger people, and among more educated individuals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060922/...icine_sleep_dc

I wonder if they classify Melatonin as one of the alternative medicines?

Comment

I have a bottle on my desk, 3 mg. It doesn't seem to have any side effects for me, I don't use it every night, though. Just when I positively have to get to sleep! What I like about it, is that I don't feel groggy in the morning.

Remember, that if you are on a calcium restricted diet for any reason, it does contain calcium. (my 3mg tablets say it has 63 mg).

Comment

I recently read that even 3 mg is too much. I use it sparingly, and it doesnt always work on me. I think it may have interaction with food.
                I swear when I take melatonin that my dreams are much more vivid, and if I take it consecutive nights in a row, the dreams turn weird.
                I do have a problem sleeping however, so it may affect you differently.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Other than Sleepytime tea, hot milk and honey, a warm bath, or sex....my doctor has a sign up on his wall, the ten rules for getting a good nights' sleep...let's see if I can remember all ten..

1. Leave the windows open.
                  2. Relax before bedtime with a book or something calming to do.
                  3. Cut out excitants after lunch...coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, alcohol, nicotine.
                  4. Go to bed at a decent hour.
                  5. Get up when you wake up.
                  6. Think of others, do volunteer work, help someone, contribute somewhere to society.
                  7. Eat healthily.
                  8. Get some form of excercise each day.
                  9. Sleep on a firm mattress, without too many covers or too much clothing.
                  10. Leave your problems outside the bedroom door, they'll wait.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I include it in my cadre of vitamins and pills. I would say the key is whether your melatonin levels have been depleted. Some things that kill off your natural supply: fluorescent light and alcohol. Well, I guess 95% of us need this drug!!!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

I dunno. I'd be more likely to err on the side of caution, after the L-tryptophan debacle of years ago.

I have seen more than one case of paralysis, even death, caused by the recommendations of herbalists and practitioners of "naturopathic medicine." A particularly tragic husband/wife neurotoxic incident comes to mind, as does the death of a patient after a visit to a "holistic healer."

Bear in mind, hemlock and foxglove are totally natural substances too.

Tread cautiously....

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                        [...]I have seen more than one case of paralysis, even death, caused by the recommendations of herbalists and practitioners of "naturopathic medicine."[...]
                        Unfortunately this is also true of allopathic medicine. As you rightly cautioned in another thread, even drinking too much water can be lethal. Life's just one, big cr@pshoot!

Comment

(I won't mention the word 'pandemic')
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X