This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graffiti: So!!

Does anyone know who is doing the "So!!" (with two curved underlines) around town?

As I said in an email earlier today, the best examples are in blue and white, but sometimes only in white. There was a wonderful one at UH-Manoa but, alas, it was painted over yesterday.

Very simple, but quite stylish and instantly recognizeable.

A young friend of mine, who is a graffiti-creating enthusiast, explained the mystery of the white. (I never saw a white pen.) Evidently, you buy a large felt-tip pin, flush it out and fill it with that office "white-out" stuff. Dries very fast, that, so the pen must not last very long.

I know (after living in NYC) that excessive graffiti can be very tiresome, but I quite admire this "So!!" artist.

Re: Graffiti: So!!

I love graffiti art when it's in the right places at the right times. I haven't noticed So! but will definitely keep an eye out for it.

I've always thought that if I'd been less law-abiding, I could have been a pretty decent street-artist myself.

But Albert, you know what kind of replies this post is going to get for all eternity now! You've begun the insipid chain of replies that will never die!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You mean like the one at HawaiiStories? I don't think it will happen here unless either the current subscribers are into Graffiti or those people who happen to comment on that thread come here and register for HawaiiThreads.

Comment

I think Helen is right, this thread isn't likely to deteriorate like the one on our "sister station".

(Why does KHPR refer to the weaker one as a "sister"?)

There is an underpass beneath H-1 outside lower UH-Manoa campus with big blank walls just screaming for graffiti. They constantly paint any contributions over and I noticed today how they use different tints of paint each time, so it is actually becoming a huge abstract "graffiti", rather reminiscent of some 50s abstract painters.

Comment

This is just absurd:

"Graffiti vandalism suspect arrested

A Kalihi man was arrested today on suspicion of criminal property damage after police caught him about 1:10 a.m. painting graffiti on a wall on the mauka side of the H-1 Freeway near The Queen's Medical Center.

The man, 24, was charged with second-degree criminal property damage, which indicates the amount of damage done was estimated to cost more than $1,500 to repair, police said."

Comment

I saw some at the USS Missouri Bus Stops a few weeks ago. They were in red spray paint, with the words "West side" (or something to that effect).

They were on the sidewalk, brick wall (on the Waipahu bound bus stop's wall) and some were even on the bench.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Wendell just posted a neat entry on a graffiti exhibit at the The Contemporary Museum over at the just-launched Metroblogging Hawaii site.

The Barnstormers:
              The artists worked with PACT teens on a large-scale evolving painting on the Museum's grounds... Woven through the genesis of the work were themes inspired by the interests and concerns of the teen participants, and by the rich interactions between artists and teens.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Wendell just posted a neat entry on a graffiti exhibit at the The Contemporary Museum over at the just-launched Metroblogging Hawaii site.

The Barnstormers:
                I just hope the museum guards that exhibit carefully, if it's been staged outdoors. Up here, a group did exactly the same thing: got some street kids of decorate some walls with really beautiful artwork. Not even 2 days later, some punk taggers came along and destroyed the kids' hard work! I think the punks were jealous that some adults paid attention to people who were "less worthy" than they thought they were...no respect.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The graffiti doesn't even look like graffiti! It's just beautiful art! But guard it well, someone may want to deface it. The graffiti in some places looks really like artwork but when is it done? Guess I'm too naive to think that people have better things to do...than spray paint underpasses/overpasses and everywhere else they can.
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

I think every grafitti should have an attachment underneath it saying...Is an Idiot!

Pretty soon those grafitti artists won't want to put their "Signature" on the wall because everyone will think he/she is an idiot.

Grafitti has a place, but not on someone elses property. I say catch the bastards, and spray their faces with the cans of paint or markers found on them and publish their photo's in the daily rags. Hey they want to get noticed? They'll get noticed!

Yeah I got victimized by one of those bastards, he was a student my age in Intermediate school. It was so obvious because he used day-glo green and painted the word F@#K on every car down our block. The next morning we saw the damage and saw the residue paint on his fingers at school too...what an idiot! Needless to say but...he was sporting a new hair color for about a week after. Kinda matched the cars he vandalized.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Sorry Craig...didn't mean to imply that graffiti SHOULD be condoned, I think we even have a small tag on our side of the garage...with silver paint. At least whoever did it didn't spray our cars. Too bad the guys/gals who do this can't be
                      given a place like the Contemporary Museum to "show" off their work...but I guess then they would be exposed and the challenge is to do it without being caught.
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

KHON last night featured a story on a HPD crackdown on graffiti... or graffiti artists, to be exact. They report actually catching people in the act (but gave no names), including a 24-year-old man (presumably the same one Albert posted about yesterday).

Not only someone obviously not too bright, but... wouldn't you say a little old to be running around with spraypaint? At least he can buy it at the store without problems...

I don't know if one arrest a "crackdown" makes, but I always thought it wouldn't be too hard. Just provide a bright, white, highly visible flat surface with enough shadows nearby to give the impression of safety. Guaranteed someone will show up with a pen or can within a day.

Comment

"but... wouldn't you say a little old to be running around with spraypaint?"

Age really has nothing to do with it. One of my favorite people in the world is 29 and is an avid graffiti artist. Hell, if I had the "noive", I'd be one, too.

(Although I would pick my "canvases" with some discretion.)

Comment

I can see it now. Now that we've got skate parks for the skateboarders, and bark parks for the dog owners, pretty soon we'll have grafitti parks too.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              I can see it now. Now that we've got skate parks for the skateboarders, and bark parks for the dog owners, pretty soon we'll have grafitti parks too.
                              that's not too far from the truth! In some restaurant bathrooms, they've installed already blackboards and chalk so people can scribble their inspirational writings there instead of marking the walls of the stalls. There have been at least a couple of books that have compiled the best (and worst) of the bathroom writings over the years.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X