PDA

View Full Version : Name that part of Hawai'i?

Pages : [1] 2

Menehune Man
March 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Give a clue to a particular area or place for this game.

What is the most Eastern place in Hawai"i?

helen
March 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Isn't this place geting more east never mind the fact that the Big Island and the rest of the state is moving north west as time goes on.

kimo55
March 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM
............pahoa?

tutusue
March 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Give a clue to a particular area or place for this game.

What is the most Eastern place in Hawai"i?
Kapoho? Or is this a trick question? :D

Moto
March 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Would that be Issac Hale Beach Park?

Moto
March 17th, 2006, 08:52 PM
This is an easy one, name the place in Hawaii that has no consonants in its name.

lurkah
March 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
This is an easy one, name the place in Hawaii that has no consonants in its name.

Gotta be Iao. (Ho I wen beat Maui Miulang)

Moto
March 17th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Gotta be Iao. (Ho I wen beat Maui Miulang)

That's correct. Actually, I was thinking of another location. Can you guess the other location too?

tutusue
March 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Here's one for ya...

This lower end merchandise store on Oahu identified the contents of each aisle with signs in the Hawaiian language. In what area of the island was this store located? And, as a bonus, if you name the store, Miulang will regift you the 'Gidget Goes Hawaiian' mp3! :D

tutusue
March 17th, 2006, 09:06 PM
That's correct. Actually, I was thinking of another location. Can you guess the other location too?
I was thinking of Aiea!

Menehune Man
March 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM
It did kinda sound like a trick question, but it's not really. I mean the kinda East where the the sun rises from. The area that is the most farthest East. Kinda pidgin eh? ;)

Moto
March 17th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I was thinking of Aiea!
Yes, that's the one that I was thinking of, but Lurkah proved that there was more than one answer to my question.

Menehune Man
March 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I was looking for either "North Kohala" or "Kumukahi Cape", but that's fine. Let's see where this thread ends up :p

lurkah
March 17th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Here's one for ya...

This lower end merchandise store on Oahu identified the contents of each aisle with signs in the Hawaiian language. In what area of the island was this store located?

When you say was, do you mean that this store is no longer there?

tutusue
March 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM
When you say was, do you mean that this store is no longer there?
So observant, you! Uh huh!

lurkah
March 17th, 2006, 11:44 PM
So observant, you! Uh huh!

It's the old Cornet Store in Makaha (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=46973&postcount=43). :D

I had a hunch it was that Cornet store (due to your logistics) even before I found your confirmation. ;)

zztype
March 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Aiea, where I grew up, on Oa Street!

zztype
March 18th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I was looking for either "North Kohala" or "Kumukahi Cape", but that's fine. Let's see where this thread ends up :p
Is Lo'ihi considered a "place" yet?

Menehune Man
March 18th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Is Lo'ihi considered a "place" yet?

To volcanists it is, but I figure if no one can sit under a tree (Figuratively speaking), then it's not a place for me. HaHa!

tutusue
March 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
It's the old Cornet Store in Makaha (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=46973&postcount=43). :D

I had a hunch it was that Cornet store (due to your logistics) even before I found your confirmation. ;)
I guess we've been trippin' thru cyberspace together for so long now that you can read my mind! :p

How do I email haupia? :D

Menehune Man
March 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
THIS place has a restaurant sitting atop a large empty cage. Name the restaurant and the now closed area?

zztype
March 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM
THIS place has a restaurant sitting atop a large empty cage. Name the restaurant and the now closed area?
Hehehe.... Treetops. Paradise Park in Manoa Valley!

That was a cool place. They should have tried harder to keep that open. We used to go all the time.

Blaine

tutusue
March 18th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Hehehe.... Treetops. Paradise Park in Manoa Valley![...]
That's it! Paradise Park! I could see it in my mind. I've filmed there. And I just couldn't come up with the name...not even with google's help! :o

Menehune Man
March 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Hehehe.... Treetops. Paradise Park in Manoa Valley!

You got it Blaine!

Menehune Man
March 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Where is Robin Hood's Hawaiian Beach? :rolleyes:

zztype
March 19th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Where is Robin Hood's Hawaiian Beach? :rolleyes:
Sherwood Forest, Waimanalo! Gotta be!

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Sherwood Forest, Waimanalo! Gotta be!

Yep! You got it again!

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 06:47 AM
This place is surrounded by the ocean on three sides and sheer cliffs on the south. The Hawai'ian name translated into english means 'Flat Leaf'.

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
What 2 places on Oahu are associated with Robert Louis Stevenson and what areas of the island are they located?

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM
What 2 places on Oahu are associated with Robert Louis Stevenson and what areas of the island are they located?

Stevenson Intermediate (Now Middle) School in Makiki and The area just beside the Waioli Tea Room Restaurant in Manoa? I hope I got this right! :D

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM
This place is surrounded by the ocean on three sides and sheer cliffs on the south. The Hawai'ian name translated into english means 'Flat Leaf'.
Kalaupapa?

Moto
March 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I seem to recall a hotel in Waikiki that had something about him. I'm not sure if it was the Princess K?

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Kalaupapa?

Yes, Tutusue!

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Stevenson Intermediate (Now Middle) School in Makiki and The area just beside the Waioli Tea Room Restaurant in Manoa? I hope I got this right! :D
Hmmm...your answer initiates a 3rd question! What's the 3rd place? ;)

Yes, there's a grass hut near the Waioli Tea Room that, according to legend, RLS used as his Hawaii home.

A curiosity question! Did RLS have a physical presence on the land that is now Stevenson Middle School or is it named after him due to his association with Hawaii? I should've stated my initial question a bit clearer, to include physical presence!

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I seem to recall a hotel in Waikiki that had something about him. I'm not sure if it was the Princess K?
You're getting warm...but not warm enough!!

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Where can you still see the rusting hulk of a WWII ship marooned on the offshore reef?

lurkah
March 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM

You're getting warm...but not warm enough!!

Going take one wild stab at this one. :o

The connection is Tusitala St. (which intersects with Ka'iulani Ave.) in Waikiki. Stevenson's nickname was "Tusitala", which means storyteller in Samoan.

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Where in Hawai'i is the westernmost public elementary school in the US (or at least it bills itself as such)?

Miulang

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Going take one wild stab at this one. :o

The connection is Tusitala St. (which intersects with Ka'iulani Ave.) in Waikiki. Stevenson's nickname was "Tusitala", which means storyteller in Samoan.
An interesting stab, Lurkah...interesting enough that I googled it and, basically, came up with nothing to support the idea. Seems plausible, tho', doesn't it?! I did find one hit that might allude to this possibility but the page no longer exists and it's not cached. The google hit states:
"KeepMedia | Rough Guides Travel: Honolulu
... English sailor, John Young (1745–1835), was known as Olohana to the Hawaiians after his naval cry of "All hands on deck." Tusitala Street: Named after author ...
www.keepmedia.com/ShowItemDetails. do?itemID=6228&extID=10030 - Supplemental Result - Similar*pages"
Dang...just one more letter would've cinched it one way or the other!

Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track! I'll up the stakes a bit and gift a song of the winner's choice from iTunes...as long as the song contains one of the words in the place name I'm thinking of! And, I think I've figured out how to gift a song! Hint: this place doesn't contain the word 'Gidget'!!! :D

LikaNui
March 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Where in Hawai'i is the westernmost public elementary school in the US (or at least it bills itself as such)?

I'm thinking Ni`ihau?

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking Ni`ihau?
Nope. But you're pretty close.

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Miulang
Kekaha Elementary School ;)

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Kekaha Elementary School ;)
Correct! :)

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Where can you still see the rusting hulk of a WWII ship marooned on the offshore reef?
The Liberty marooned off of Lanai?

lurkah
March 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track!

Might you be referring to the Robert Louis Stevenson Room which is located within the Sheraton Princess Ka'iulani Hotel?

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Might you be referring to the Robert Louis Stevenson Room which is located within the Sheraton Princess Ka'iulani Hotel?
That's a new one to me...and not the one that will earn you the coveted, non-Gidget related iTune!!! Try again! :cool:

cezanne
March 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Ok, assuming your wild stab is accurate...what's the other (4th!) place? Moto was on the right track! I'll up the stakes a bit and gift a song of the winner's choice from iTunes...as long as the song contains one of the words in the place name I'm thinking of! And, I think I've figured out how to gift a song! Hint: this place doesn't contain the word 'Gidget'!!! :D

Is it the Kaimana Beach Hotel? I recall that one of the trees there is where some famous writer wrote a poem there... not sure if it was RLS though. :confused:

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Is it the Kaimana Beach Hotel? I recall that one of the trees there is where some famous writer wrote a poem there... not sure if it was RLS though. :confused:
DING! DING! DING! Oh wait...make that DING! DING! And where is the hotel located?!

cezanne
March 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
DING! DING! DING! Oh wait...make that DING! DING! And where is the hotel located?!

Ummm... Kaimana Beach? :p
It's the beach next to the Waikiki Aquarium and the Natatorium.

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Ummm... Kaimana Beach? :p
It's the beach next to the Waikiki Aquarium and the Natatorium.
Actually, it's San Souci Beach (http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/programs/beach/sans/index1.htm) but that's close enough! The location is Waikiki or Diamond Head!

Ok...so pick a song from iTunes with one or more of the following words and PM me the title and your email addy! :)
Kaimana
Otani
Waikiki
Diamond Head

cezanne
March 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Actually, it's San Souci Beach (http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/programs/beach/sans/index1.htm) but that's close enough! The location is Waikiki or Diamond Head!

San Souci ... that's the name. The name wen excape me for the moment. :)

Surfingfarmboy
March 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Miulang

I'm thinking there must be some public elementary schools farther west in Alaska than Kekaha Elementary...the towns of Kotzebue and Nome, by themselves are farther west than than the entire island of Kaua'i...then there are all the Aleutian Island communities. Is the key word of this question public? Are all the elementary schools in far-western Alaska private?

This link seems to refute Kekaha's claim:

http://www.nomeschools.com/

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
[...] Is the key word of this question public? Are all the elementary schools in far-western Alaska private?
I think the key words are "(or at least it bills itself as such)".

Surfingfarmboy
March 19th, 2006, 11:03 AM
It seems that an institution such as an elementary school really should get their facts straight, as an example to their students, before claiming they are something they may not actually be. That is, if in fact, Kekaha Elementary bills itself as the most western public elementary school in the US.

Surfingfarmboy
March 19th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I googled in Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?

http://www.kekaha.k12.hi.us/

kimo55
March 19th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?

No. it's true. The required school uniform is levis, cowboy boots, and a merle haggard accent.

Surfingfarmboy
March 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM
No. it's true. The required school uniform is levis, cowboy boots, and a merle haggard accent.

And I suppose their after school activities includes intermural rodeo and square dancing. Yeeee haaaawww!

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I googled in Kekaha Elementary, and I was given a link to their school web-page. They are billing themselves as the most western elementary the US. Should I set them straight on this?
Hence, Miulang's "(or at least it bills itself as such)" disclaimer! ;)

If you do set them straight, let us know how they respond!

Surfingfarmboy
March 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I hope I didn't come off as if I was trying to show-up Miulang, which I most definitely was not. I have little reason to doubt what she has to say about Hawai'i, she being a kama'aina o 'aina. In looking back at the posts I've hung in this thread, it may appear that way, and if that is the case, I do apologize to her.

What I am surprised is that a school could overlook some fairly obvious facts about where they are, longitude-wise, in relation to Alaska. One of my favorite trivia facts about Alaska is that not only is it the USA's most western state (not western in the yee-haw sense, Kimo, but longitude), but it is technically the USA's most eastern state, with a small portion of its land existing on the other side of the International Date Line.

I would have figured that a school, of all entities, would at least try to verify the fact that they were the "western most" of schools in the US before naming themselves as claimant to the title. I'm under the impression here, after reviewing Kekaha Elementary's web-site, that it, appears to be a typical Internet school project, and substantiating the facts presented on the web-pages may have been secondary to the overall project, which may have been primarily getting the web-site up and running online.

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I hope I didn't come off as if I was trying to show-up Miulang, which I most definitely was not. I have little reason to doubt what she has to say about Hawai'i, she being a kama'aina o 'aina. In looking back at the posts I've hung in this thread, it may appear that way, and if that is the case, I do apologize to her.

What I am surprised is that a school could overlook some fairly obvious facts about where they are, longitude-wise, in relation to Alaska. One of my favorite trivia facts about Alaska is that not only is it the USA's most western state (not western in the yee-haw sense, Kimo, but longitude), but it is technically the USA's most eastern state, with a small portion of its land existing on the other side of the International Date Line.

I would have figured that a school, of all entities, would at least try to verify the fact that they were the "western most" of schools in the US before naming themselves as claimant to the title. I'm under the impression here, after reviewing Kekaha Elementary's web-site, that it, appears to be a typical Internet school project, and substantiating the facts presented on the web-pages may have been secondary to the overall project, which may have been primarily getting the web-site up and running online.
The only reason I picked up that Kekaha Elementary factoid is because I happened to google "Kauai public schools" and just happened to click on "Kekaha" and the "Kekaha Elementary School" website. Hence, the disclaimer "or at least it bills itself as such..." ;)

Miulang

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Where was Hawai'i first sugar plantation built?

Miulang

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM
What was the name of the first printing press west of the Mississippi and where is it located?

Miulang

LikaNui
March 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Isn't that the one next to Kualoa Ranch?

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Miulang
Maui? :confused:

1stwahine
March 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Which Park in Hawai'i have replicas of landscapes of all the islands on it and can be see from an arial view?

...dis is an easy one.

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
What was the name of the first printing press west of the Mississippi and where is it located?

Miulang
Hmmm...can't figure out whether it's located at the Mission House Museum in Honolulu or at Lahainaluna school on Maui. I think it's the latter but it's first home is the former. :confused:

I'll let someone else take a stab at the name! :rolleyes:

pzarquon
March 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Well, the question was about the name of the press, not its location. So I guess... er... Bessie.

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Hmmm...can't figure out whether it's located at the Mission House Museum in Honolulu or at Lahainaluna school on Maui. I think it's the latter but it's first home is the former. :confused:

I'll let someone else take a stab at the name! :rolleyes:
It's Hale Pai, at Lahainaluna, which is the oldest high school west of the Mississippi. I think Lahainaluna is also the only high school alma mater sung in a language other than English in the whole US, and one that has actually been made into a popular song by Keali'i Reichel! :)

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Maui? :confused:
Nope. And it doesn't really make sense for it to have been located here (at least not to me). It was built as part of an entire town (now deserted) but the town fell upon hard times (the locals thought it was jinxed because several bad things happened here).

Miulang

helen
March 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Koloa on Kauai.

Miulang
March 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Koloa on Kauai.
Nope. Guess again.

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Well, the question was about the name of the press, not its location. So I guess... er... Bessie.
Welllllllllllll...I'll respectfully beg to differ! It was about...BOTH! ;)
Bessie? :D

tutusue
March 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Which Park in Hawai'i have replicas of landscapes of all the islands on it and can be see from an arial view?

...dis is an easy one.

Auntie Lynn
Jeez, Auntie...all I saw was "I getting married" in your sig and, well, I lost all concentration. I couldn't google from the floor! :D

Menehune Man
March 19th, 2006, 08:42 PM
The Liberty marooned off of Lanai?

Yes! Tutusue you got another correct answer!
It's called Shipwreck beach. :eek:

1stwahine
March 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Jeez, Auntie...all I saw was "I getting married" in your sig and, well, I lost all concentration. I couldn't google from the floor! :D

Tutusue, shortlived. I was in the marrying mood. I not today. :p

Auntie Lynn

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Try this one...

An 1897 "Odd-Shaped" Church with a magnificent German baroque altar, gifted from Portugal's Royal family?

Miulang
March 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Nope. And it doesn't really make sense for it to have been located here (at least not to me). It was built as part of an entire town (now deserted) but the town fell upon hard times (the locals thought it was jinxed because several bad things happened here).

Miulang
Still waiting for the answer to this one. It takes a 4-wheel drive vehicle to visit this what's left of this site. The sugar plantation in Koloa was the first successful mill. This one (and the town in which it was located) was said by locals to be jinxed because the haole owners tore down a heia'u. Probably one of the only times a superstition came true! :eek:

Miulang
March 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Try this one...

An 1897 "Odd-Shaped" Church with a magnificent German baroque altar, gifted from Portugal's Royal family?
Holy Ghost (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/maui/ump7.htm) Catholic Church was built by Portuguese immigrants in Kula, Maui. It has a very distinctive "octagonal" shape that supposedly represents the king's crown (you can even see the shiny roof from Central Maui on a sunny day). Also has been called "The Wedding Cake" church. But it says it was built in 1894, so the answer might not be correct. :o

Miulang

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Keawalai Church

oh yea:
Portuguese immigrants built the Holy Ghost Mission in Maui's Upcountry in 1894. The church's unusual octagonal structure is the only one of its kind built during the 19th century in Hawaii. Its altar and 14 Stations of the Cross were brought from Austria in about 1897 and are priceless examples of museum quality 19th century ecclesiastical art. Hand-carved, gilded and painted more than a century ago by a master European craftsman, the words on the stations are in Old Portuguese. This is the only artwork of its kind in Hawaii.

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Holy Ghost (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/maui/ump7.htm) Catholic Church was built by Portuguese immigrants in Kula, Maui. It has a very distinctive "octagonal" shape that supposedly represents the king's crown (you can even see the shiny roof from Central Maui on a sunny day). Also has been called "The Wedding Cake" church.
Miulang

You got it Miulang! Good job!

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Keawalai Church
oh yea:
Portuguese immigrants built the Holy Ghost Mission in Maui's Upcountry in 1894. The church's unusual octagonal structure is the only one of its kind built during the 19th century in Hawaii. Its altar and 14 Stations of the Cross were brought from Austria in about 1897 and are priceless examples of museum quality 19th century ecclesiastical art. Hand-carved, gilded and painted more than a century ago by a master European craftsman, the words on the stations are in Old Portuguese. This is the only artwork of its kind in Hawaii.

Right on Kimo! You got it and thanks for the extra info... that was cool.

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Okay then...

Where's the Albatross' nesting grounds on Oahu?

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
...........kaena pt?

lurkah
March 20th, 2006, 08:08 PM
The sugar plantation in Koloa was the first successful mill. This one (and the town in which it was located) was said by locals to be jinxed because the haole owners tore down a heia'u. Probably one of the only times a superstition came true! :eek:

Sounds like you're talking about the Maunalei Sugar Company at Keomuku on Lanai (destroyed a heiau in order to build a railway along the coast), but it can't be that one because it was established in 1898 while the one in Koloa was established in 1835.

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
...........kaena pt?

Das it! Now it's your turn to make up a clue :p

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
ok... uuuhh

what part of oahu was named after what wuz goin on there in da old days:
"spouting water" ?

what town or part of a town was named (wrongly, I might add, ) (dass a clue) by a haole real estate broker decades ago?
Clue: an occasional actor in Hawaii 5-0 and Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" has something in common with it.

What part of Oahu was originally pig farms and shacks and one of the shacks in that part of town was a scene of a Hawaii 5-0 episode starring Dave Donnelly who played a hippie helping draft dodgers....
and... and...

who was Dave Donnelly?

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
oh. and...
what part of Oahu was (and is, to many still)
Known as the "jumping off spot into the other side" for "spirits"?

and as a bonus question;
What was that other side known as?

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Where is the famous location where that famous "fingernails and dripping blood sounds... on the car roof" ghost story... occur?

zztype
March 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM
oh. and...

and as a bonus question;
What was that other side known as?
Ka'ena Point
Po

kimo55
March 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM
zz, exactimo, of course.

and of course i would expect nuttin less from da Kamehameha skoo bruddah hisself...

Menehune Man
March 20th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Where is the famous location where that famous "fingernails and dripping blood sounds... on the car roof" ghost story... occur?

Morgan's corner?

zztype
March 21st, 2006, 04:02 AM
what town or part of a town was named (wrongly, I might add, ) (dass a clue) by a haole real estate broker decades ago?
Clue: an occasional actor in Hawaii 5-0 and Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" has something in common with it.
You talkin' 'bout Lanikai? I think s'posedto be "Mokulua" (two islands) or just part of Kailua.

I don't know anything about the movie/TV connection.

zztype
March 21st, 2006, 04:03 AM
What part of Oahu was originally pig farms and shacks
and... who was Dave Donnelly?
My house???

Hehehe... and I'm going to lay off the Dave Donnelly question, 'cause I wun spoiler.

lavagal
March 21st, 2006, 04:18 AM
ok... uuuhh

what part of oahu was named after what wuz goin on there in da old days:
"spouting water" ?

Spitting Caves?

Hawaii Kai?

What part of Oahu was originally pig farms and shacks and one of the shacks in that part of town was a scene of a Hawaii 5-0 episode starring Dave Donnelly who played a hippie helping draft dodgers....
and... and...

Hawaii Kai?

who was Dave Donnelly?

Gloriously tall ladies man who loved to gossip, imbibe, and was an old school three dotter...

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Sounds like you're talking about the Maunalei Sugar Company at Keomuku on Lanai (destroyed a heiau in order to build a railway along the coast), but it can't be that one because it was established in 1898 while the one in Koloa was established in 1835.
You correct, Lurkah! (something coming in da mail foa you). :)

Miulang

LikaNui
March 21st, 2006, 06:34 AM
Kaena Point, if I correctly recall the info on the plaque at Kaneana Cave.

EDIT NOTE: Sorry, but I didn't notice that someone else had already answered correctly. My bad.

kimo55
March 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Morgan's corner?
dass it. but wheah steh?

kimo55
March 21st, 2006, 07:26 AM
You talkin' 'bout Lanikai? I think s'posedto be "Mokulua" (two islands) or just part of Kailua.

I don't know anything about the movie/TV connection.
Lanikai. S/B Kailani.

Lani Kai real name: George Clarence Dennis James Von Ruckleman Woodd III
The stage name is understandable...
also appeared in
"Hawaiian Eye" and "Adventures in Paradise"
in Blue Hawaii he played Carl Tanami
in one H5-0 ep he played Lonnie Kaikili (clever one dat, eh?)

kimo55
March 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM
Gloriously tall ladies man who loved to gossip, imbibe, and was an old school three dotter...
good descr.

Menehune Man
March 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
dass it. but wheah steh?

... Old Pali Rd. Yea I got one!

lurkah
March 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM
You correct, Lurkah! (something coming in da mail foa you). :)

But I thought TutuSue said that you wasn't supposed to send me that "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" mp3. :cool:

tutusue
March 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
But I thought TutuSue said that you wasn't supposed to send me that "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" mp3. :cool:
Aloha is about caring and sharing. How selfless of Miulang. :D

lurkah
March 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Aloha is about caring and sharing. How selfless of Miulang. :D

Yeah, uh huh...http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyviolinplayer2.gif...I'm getting all misty-eyed now.

kimo55
March 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM
You got an issue?
here's a tissue.
(Sotto voce: "austin powers")

"Aloha" is now a statute on the books. It is law. thank gawd for the city and state taking care of us poor peons, we wouldn't know what to do oddawise.

lurkah
March 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
You got an issue?
here's a tissue.

Poor Kimo. Must've had that drilled into him over and over as a kid. (or maybe it still continues :p)

That's a pretty catchy phrase, actually. Think I'll borrow it to use on my own kids. :D

kimo55
March 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
SHEEEEyit.
how young you tink i steh!?

that term:
"issue"
implying a problem, is one o doze new fad terms, that said, I would not have heard it small keed time.
having said that, it is a fad term. I said it. that having been... aaawww fergeddit!

lurkah
March 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM
SHEEEEyit.
how young you tink i steh!?

that term:
"issue"
implying a problem, is one o doze new fad terms, that said, I would not have heard it small keed time.
having said that, it is a fad term. I said it. that having been... aaawww fergeddit!

http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/graphics/kleenex.gif

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM

Nah, I keeping "Gidget Goes Hawaiian". We giving you something different that you would have to drive 4 hours to get if you wanted it. ;)

Miulang

Menehune Man
March 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Name the small town that was once a Hawaiian fishing village and had one of the largest and nicest black sand beaches. But in 1990 Madame Pele buried it under 10 meters of lava?

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM
Name the small town that was once a Hawaiian fishing village and had one of the largest and nicest black sand beaches. But in 1990 Madame Pele buried it under 10 meters of lava?
Kalapana (http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/l-kalapana.html) :(

Miulang

Menehune Man
March 21st, 2006, 12:06 PM
Kalapana (http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/l-kalapana.html) :(

Miulang

Yes. Kalapana (www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/sites/kalapana.html)

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Speaking of lava flows, this fishing village was completely destroyed by a lava flow in the 1920s, but came to life again when the inhabitants rebuilt it. It was immortalized in a song performed by Bruddah Iz (among others). What's the name of the village, and the name of the song?

Miulang

zztype
March 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Speaking of lava flows, this fishing village was completely destroyed by a lava flow in the 1920s, but came to life again when the inhabitants rebuilt it. It was immortalized in a song performed by Bruddah Iz (among others). What's the name of the village, and the name of the song?

Miulang
Not Miloli'i, eh?

lurkah
March 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM

La 'Elima, about Miloli'i.

oggboy
March 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Anybody can name the thru Hawaiian name of the West Maui Mountain.
OGGBOY :)

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
La 'Elima, about Miloli'i.
Yup, Miloli'i, and it's La 'Elima (http://www.huapala.org/La_Elima.html). Wait a couple of days anden you going get your "prize".

Miulang

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Anybody can name the thru Hawaiian name of the West Maui Mountain.
OGGBOY :)
Mauna Kahalawai

Miulang

Miulang
March 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM
What geological formation is found at Mile Marker 38-40 on Maui's Hwy 30? Every island seems to have at least one of these.

Miulang

Surfingfarmboy
March 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
What geological formation is found at Mile Marker 38-40 on Maui's Hwy 30? Every island seems to have at least one of these.

Miulang

Isn't there one of those ocean blowholes in that area? (I cannot think of it's name to save my life if I had to!)

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 07:55 AM
Isn't there one of those ocean blowholes in that area? (I cannot think of it's name to save my life if I had to!)
Yeah, but which one?

Surfingfarmboy
March 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Yeah, but which one?

Okay..I'll guess...it's something along the lines of Nenelele...I'm on the cusp of recovering this bit of data from my mind and I just can't do it!!

So...I give...I will await the answer from somebody who has it.

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Okay..I'll guess...it's something along the lines of Nenelele...I'm on the cusp of recovering this bit of data from my mind and I just can't do it!!

So...I give...I will await the answer from somebody who has it.
Close but no ceegar. It does start with N and end with "lele".

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Close but no ceegar. It does start with N and end with "lele".

Nakalele.

Go ahead and send the "prize" for this one to Surfingfarmboy. :D

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
What is the name (ancient and current) of the place on Maui where a Hawaiian prince lived in an incestuous relationship with his beloved sister in a royal compound? His sister died at the age of 21, and he ascended the throne of the Kingdom as a Kamehameha at a very young age. Its current name is mentioned in at least one song.

Miulang

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
What is the name (ancient and current) of the place on Maui where a Hawaiian prince lived in an incestuous relationship with his beloved sister in a royal compound?

Moku'ula in Lahaina.

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Moku'ula in Lahaina.
Moku'ula (http://www.mokuula.com/archive/photo.shtml) was the royal residence of alii nui Kauikea'ouli who as an adult became Kamehameha III. One of Kamehameha III's most significant legacies was the creation of the Great Mahele (http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/kona/history5g.htm). If he had not done that, Hawai'i would look like a very different place. On the grounds of Moku'ula was a spring, Mokuhinia, which has since been covered up. Several Maui organizations are raising funds to restore Moku'ula. By what name is this place known today?

Miulang

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
By what name is this place known today?

Malu'ulu'olele Park.

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Malu'ulu'olele Park.

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Where is the oldest heiau in the islands located, who was it dedicated to and what is its name?

Miulang

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Where is the oldest heiau in the islands located, who was it dedicated to and what is its name?

Miulang
Big Island
dedicated to the God Ku
Mo'okini Luakini Heiau
...I think!...

Menehune Man
March 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Where is the oldest heiau in the islands located, who was it dedicated to and what is its name?Miulang

Iliiliopae Heiau on Moloka'i.
"Pebbles of Chief Pae or Temple of the Shrimp.
Here's a LINK (www.hawaiiweb.com/molokai/html/sites/iliiliopae_heiau.html)
I guessed this one because the site said "possibly the oldest heiau in Hawai'i"

Miulang
March 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Big Island
dedicated to the God Ku
Mo'okini Luakini Heiau
...I think!...
Very good, Tutusue! :) Mo'okini luakini (http://www.kohala.net/historic/mookini/) is located near Upolu Pt. in North Kohala.

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Iliiliopae Heiau on Moloka'i.
"Pebbles of Chief Pae or Temple of the Shrimp.
Here's a LINK (www.hawaiiweb.com/molokai/html/sites/iliiopae_heiau.html)
Don't know why the link won't work? It's written correctly. I guessed this one because the site said "possibly the oldest heiau in Hawai'i"
I think Iliiliopae is the oldest heiau on Molokai.

Interesting...your text below your link didn't show up, at least in my browser. I didn't see it until I clicked the 'quote' button to reply. Also, your link didn't work 'cuz 'iliiopae' is a typo. It should be 'iliiliopae'! ;)

Menehune Man
March 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
I think Iliiliopae is the oldest heiau on Molokai.

Interesting...your text below your link didn't show up, at least in my browser. I didn't see it until I clicked the 'quote' button to reply. Also, your link didn't work 'cuz 'iliiopae' is a typo. It should be 'iliiliopae'! ;)

Thanks! I couldn't see it. Now fixed the link. :o

P.S. : It's built by Menehune!

Menehune Man
March 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
What's the name of, and where is the only navigable river in Hawai'i?
And for extra points: Name the "special" place upstream?

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Two army bombers collided midair over Hawaii. In what populated area did the wreckage crash and what year did this happen?

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM

Kauai's Wailua River that leads up to the Fern Grotto?

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Waialua River on Kauai
fern grotto
I'll never forget arriving on location at the river and the sea plane we were using as set decoration had, over night, sunk! OOPS! :eek: It was the first commercial I'd worked on with a budget of $1,000,000. :eek: :eek: I think they went over budget! :D

kimo55
March 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Two army bombers collided midair over Hawaii. In what populated area did the wreckage crash and what year did this happen?

June 8,
two Army medium bombers collided in midair over Kalihi
plunged to earth
eleven or twelve dwellings burned.
Ten women and children perished in the burning buildings
and four crewmen.

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Oh poop! Lurkah beat me by one minute. I shouldn'ta told my location story! And Lurkah shoulda been in bed! :p

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
June 8,
two Army medium bombers collided in midair over Kalihi
plunged to earth
eleven or twelve dwellings burned.
Ten women and children perished in the burning buildings
and four crewmen.
Nailed it!
It looks like you saw the same web page that I saw! :D

kimo55
March 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
web page? what web page!
Google?!
wot dat?

kimo55
March 22nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
speaking of that era, war time Hawaii, Burl Burlingame, desoto brown and Jeff White i think are doing almost monthly talks at aliiolani, i think, on War propaganda... Check yer local listings.

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Oh poop! Lurkah beat me by one minute. I shouldn'ta told my location story! And Lurkah shoulda been in bed! :p

After I read the question, I went and took out the trash, brushed my teeth and combed my hair to get ready for bed, then came back and posted my answer. :D Night night.

tutusue
March 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
[...]and combed my hair to get ready for bed, [...]
Ummm...I can't let that one go! Inquiring minds wanna know...WHY? :D

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ummm...I can't let that one go! Inquiring minds wanna know...WHY? :D

Rats. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't leave you hanging and waiting overnight for the answer. I dunno. It sounded good when I wrote it. :p

Menehune Man
March 22nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Lurkah may have beat you to the buzzer, but you got it too, tutusue!

lurkah
March 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Lurkah may have beat you to the buzzer, but you got it too, tutusue!

I'll split the prize with her, although she really only got half the answer correct because the name of the river is actually Wailua, not Waialua. ;) z-z-z-z-z-z

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
I'll split the prize with her, although she really only got half the answer correct because the name of the river is actually Wailua, not Waialua. ;) z-z-z-z-z-z
Hrmmmmmph! I live on the Waianae Coast. So, waddaya expect? :D

lurkah
March 23rd, 2006, 07:40 AM

I'd bet similar responses can be heard every day by judges down at Circuit Court. :p

Miulang
March 23rd, 2006, 08:19 AM
What's the "slang" name for the main beach at Ka'anapali?

Miulang

Miulang
March 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
What is the Hawaiian name of the national marine life conservation district in South Maui?

Miulang

Menehune Man
March 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM

Miulang

Thong Row?

Miulang
March 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Thong Row?
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D Good guess, Menehune Man. But that's not its name! (I think the name evolved in the late 60's, if that's a hint ;) )

Miulang

alohabear
March 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM

Miulang
Black point?

Miulang
March 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Black point?
Nope. Guess again.

Surfingfarmboy
March 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM

Wailua...Waialua...that reminds me of the often asked trivia question associated with the song Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys, which is: What name of a place did they mispronounce in that song? Answer: Waimea Bay...I believe it is Brian Wilson, on vocals, who pronounces it as Wai-a-mee-a Bay.

Menehune Man
March 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Awww. You should have just left it as a question. I would'a got that one. :D

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Wailua...Waialua...that reminds me of the often asked trivia question associated with the song Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys, which is: What name of a place did they mispronounce in that song? Answer: Waimea Bay...I believe it is Brian Wilson, on vocals, who pronounces it as Wai-a-mee-a Bay.
they also sing:
calif orn eye aye.

poetic licence I suppose.

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

Miulang
Dig me beach?

LikaNui
March 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Black point? Black Point is on O`ahu; not sure if there's one on Maui. Maybe you were thinking of Black Rock?

LikaNui
March 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Dig me beach? Isn't Dig Me Beach also on O`ahu? Sans Souci's other name?

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Isn't Dig Me Beach also on O`ahu? Sans Souci's other name?
Yep! Probably also known as "Thong Row"! :D

lurkah
March 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Yep! Probably also known as "Thong Row"! :D

Do they lose that many rubbah slippahs on those beaches?

Miulang
March 23rd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Dig me beach?
Yes, and isn't it the stupidist, most egocentric name ever? :D

Miulang

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Do they lose that many rubbah slippahs on those beaches?
No, but i think they thing now and then at that beatth, and it thoundth not high at all. at leatht they thing on key.

Moto
March 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
ok... uuuhh

who was Dave Donnelly?

Just got back from the 9th Hawaiian Island, Lost Wages. Catching up with this thread. Dave Donnelly was an original Poi Boy from the old 1380 AM KPOI radio station. His nickname was the Moose. He had the early morning spot for some time at KPOI. He later became the Second Mr. Checkers on the Checkers and Pogo kids show in the late 60's. He was also a columnist at the Star Bulletin for the longest up until the time of his death.

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
--------------------nemmind!

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, and isn't it the stupidist, most egocentric name ever? :D

Miulang
Being a pre-baby boomer <g> the term "dig me" initially has a different meaning for me...more along the lines of "get it?" or "understand?". My dad used that term all the time when I was in my teens. Of course, with a beach full of beautiful bodies "dig me" took on a whole new and, yes, egocentric meaning! :D

1stwahine
March 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
I have alot of friends who go to Sans Souci's from Club Kekai's! Nuff said. :eek: :p :D

Auntie Lynn ;)

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
so, Auntee, you sayin maybe 'dig me' is mahu parlance for "geev it to me beeg boy!" ??

1stwahine
March 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
so, Auntee, you sayin maybe 'dig me' is mahu parlance for "geev it to me beeg boy!" ??

Eh, next time juss say "language!" I makule already. I tired look up words. K-den. Your question. I guess so. Whatevea's. hahahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Now go back on da odda thread so we can fight with each odda. Stop being one racist! :rolleyes:

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
I not ist a rac.

1stwahine
March 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
I not ist a rac.

Well, Stop acking it! :mad:

Lynn

kimo55
March 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
wot rac i wen dis arready?!

Some of my bestest friends are da kine. ( or could be, i dunno... ainokea)

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
I have alot of friends who go to Sans Souci's from Club Kekai's! Nuff said. :eek: :p :D

Auntie Lynn ;)
Auntie, I haven't hung out at San Souci Beach in decades but do overlook it occasionally when dining at the Hau Tree Lanai at the Kaimana Beach Hotel.

SSB used to be the favored beach of the young and beautiful flight attendants and locals. Maybe it still is...dunno! It was definitely more locals than tourists. There was a great mix of people including families and, yes, gays but it was predominantly a singles beach. San Souci by day...Nicolas Nicholas by night! However, I think the favored gay beach has been and still is Queen's Surf Beach. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think 'dig me' pertains more to 'look at what a beautiful, human specimen I am' than anything else.

1stwahine
March 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
tutusue, da one I'm talking about is da one located by da Waikiki Natatorium. Did I make a mistake? Ooops! I'm sorry. I taught dat wuz da one! :p

Auntie Lynn :o "gone with da wind" :confused: HAHAHAHAHAHA

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
tutusue, da one I'm talking about is da one located by da Waikiki Natatorium. Did I make a mistake? Ooops! I'm sorry. I taught dat wuz da one! :p

Auntie Lynn :o "gone with da wind" :confused: HAHAHAHAHAHA
I don't think you made a mistake, Auntie. San Souci beach is immediately Diamond Head of the natatorium. Queen's is approx. a block or so ewa of the natatorium.

pzarquon
March 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
I don't think you made a mistake, Auntie. San Souci beach is immediately Diamond Head of the natatorium. Queen's is approx. a block or so ewa of the natatorium.I'm not sure if using Diamond Head as a directional for that area, since by that part of Waikiki, Diamond Head takes up a pretty wide swath of the horizon! ;) But, I know what you mean.

Still, if that's San Souci, where is Kaimana Beach? That's what my friends and family have called the small patch of sand between the Natatorium and the hotels just... Koko Head of there.

ETA: Oop. Never mind. It's the same spot (http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/oceansafety/oahu/sanssouci.htm).

tutusue
March 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
[...]ETA: Oop. Never mind. It's the same spot (http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/oceansafety/oahu/sanssouci.htm).
Very cool aerial. Thanks for the link. Yep...Koko Head would probably have been a better choice but Diamond Head was sticking in my brain! :rolleyes:

Menehune Man
March 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Where does a man-made bridge lead into a natural tunnel?

tutusue
March 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM
What was Nimitz Hwy. called prior to it being renamed?

Menehune Man
March 25th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Where does a man-made bridge lead into a natural tunnel?

Second clue...
The Hawaiian name for this particular spot is... Nahuku.

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Second clue...
The Hawaiian name for this particular spot is... Nahuku.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park!

Menehune Man
March 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park!

Yes it's in the Volcanoes National Park, But what specifically is "The man-made bridge that leads into a natural tunnel" spot called?

timkona
March 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Thurston Lava Tube

Menehune Man
March 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thurston Lava Tube

Das Da Place! :D

Miulang
March 25th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Still waiting for da ansa to dis one:

What is the Hawaiian name of the national marine life conservation district in South Maui?

Miulang

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Still waiting for da ansa to dis one:

Miulang
Molokini? :confused:

kimo55
March 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
the Makena district

or

Honolua-Mokuleia

lavagal
March 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
What was Nimitz Hwy. called prior to it being renamed?

Federal Funding Road?

kimo55
March 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
the moon.

the ... "Here we go more up and down den forward..." Road

"auto repair shop dream"

"oops there goes my upper bridge"

kimo55
March 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM
the "who da hell cares the way the path to it appears, as long as Waikiki looks upscale and luxury, dass all dat matters...." road

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Federal Funding Road?
Bwaha! Nope...but I like it! :D

zztype
March 25th, 2006, 06:23 PM
OK, this sat long enough. I had to do some research and could only find one reference.

Pearl Harbor Road was later renamed Nimitz Hwy.

The reference was in a history of St. Philomena Church, Damon Tract, which was originally a "mission" of St. Elizabeth Church, Aiea. (St. Elizabeth is the church I grew up in.)

http://www.stphilomena.net/history1.htm

The second page of the history has a great map and photos of the area, before it became the "Aiport Industrial Area."

http://www.stphilomena.net/history2.htm

And check the photo of Salt Lake, when it was really a lake!

http://www.stphilomena.net/history3.htm

Blaine

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 06:59 PM
[...]Pearl Harbor Road was later renamed Nimitz Hwy.[...]
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

My reference (http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Oahu4.htm) states "Honolulu-Pearl Harbor Road" but it makes sense that it was called just Pearl Harbor Rd. You're right, there's so little info on it. BTW, thanks for the links. Very interesting.

Menehune Man
March 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
BTW, thanks for the links. Very interesting.

Yes, thanks Blaine, they were cool!

Miulang
March 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Molokini? :confused:
Nope. Try again.

Miulang
March 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
the Makena district

or

Honolua-Mokuleia
Nope. Try again. The State is trying to ban cars from this fragile ecosystem.

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Nope. Try again. The State is trying to ban cars from this fragile ecosystem.
Ahihi Kinau?

Miulang
March 25th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Ahihi Kinau?

tutusue
March 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Oh, thank goodness...now I can go to bed!

Menehune Man
March 28th, 2006, 09:52 AM
What Cave has been explored about 100 yards in by scuba divers?
Need the Hawai'ian name for a correct answer.

Moto
March 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I would guess that it's the wet cave on Kauai, but I don't know the Hawaiian Name.

Menehune Man
March 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I would guess that it's the wet cave on Kauai, but I don't know the Hawaiian Name.

You're right and that's why I requested the Hawai'ian name for a higher level of difficulty. Admittedly I had to do research for that name also. ;)

lurkah
March 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
You're right and that's why I requested the Hawai'ian name for a higher level of difficulty.

Is it Waikanaloa?

By the way, the source that I looked at stated that scuba divers had reported that no fresh or saltwater life existed in that cave, but I have a very clear memory from a long time ago of seeing huge reddish-blue tilapia swimming around in there.

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Is it Waikanaloa?

By the way, the source that I looked at stated that scuba divers had reported that no fresh or saltwater life existed in that cave, but I have a very clear memory from a long time ago of seeing huge reddish-blue tilapia swimming around in there.

Correct! and the first time I went as a kid, I saw fish too! I also wanted so badly to go through the small entrance at the back of the pond that I told my Dad "Let's get a long rope and tie it to me and I'll tell you what's back there!".

Miulang
March 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM
What is the name of the lush forest preserve on Maui that's located on the slopes of Haleakala? It was named after a river that flows through it, and is being maintained by the Nature Conservancy.

Miulang

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
The Hawaii Nature Conservancy is a terrific organisation.

And the answer is... The Waikamoi Preserve ?
Here's a LINK (www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/hawaii/preserves/art2358.html)

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Six stone figures from (this place ) were collected in May 1894 by the Iwalani annexation expedition under the command of Capt. J.A.King. They are now in the Bishop Museum. This attachment is one of the artifacts.

lurkah
March 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Six stone figures from (this place )

Necker Island (http://atsea.nmfs.hawaii.edu/islands/necker.htm), with its stone idols (http://atsea.nmfs.hawaii.edu/islands/neckeridols.htm).

kimo55
March 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM
weeeellll, those are not "idols".

lurkah
March 29th, 2006, 02:28 PM
weeeellll, those are not "idols".

Please do elaborate oh kimo55, unofficial house curmudgeon and idolized idol of HawaiiThreads.

(Idol (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/idol): a representation or symbol of an object of worship)

kimo55
March 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
they did not worship the objects.

lurkah
March 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM
they did not worship the objects.

Oh. Okay.

By law, on which of the main islands of Hawai'i can no building be taller than a palm tree?

LikaNui
March 29th, 2006, 02:57 PM
By law, on which of the main islands of Hawai'i can no building be taller than a palm tree?
Easy. Kaua`i.

lurkah
March 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Easy. Kaua`i.

You could've at least waited 4 minutes. Here's your cigar (http://www.cubatravelexperts.com/Cigar%20Lady.jpg). ;)

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Where is a replica of a Moai here in Hawai'i?

Miulang
March 29th, 2006, 05:18 PM
The Hawaii Nature Conservancy is a terrific organisation.

And the answer is... The Waikamoi Preserve ?
Here's a LINK (www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/hawaii/preserves/art2358.html)
Correct! ;)

lurkah
March 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Kimo's house? :p

Miulang
March 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I vaguely remember seeing one (it was black) in a botanical garden on Kauai, but I can't remember which botanical garden it was in.

Miulang

Miulang
March 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I vaguely remember seeing one (it was black) in a botanical garden on Kauai, but I can't remember which botanical garden it was in.

There's also one on the grounds of the Bishop Museum.

Miulang

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 05:32 PM

There's also one on the grounds of the Bishop Museum.

Miulang

I know of the one at the Museum so Ding Ding Ding!
A real strong silent type is he. :D

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Where can you find this sculpture titled "Lickety Split"?

Menehune Man
March 29th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Or how 'bout Where in the world is 'THIS' world?

LikaNui
March 30th, 2006, 06:09 AM
You could've at least waited 4 minutes. Here's your cigar (http://www.cubatravelexperts.com/Cigar%20Lady.jpg). ;) Hey, that was maybe the first time that I actually saw a question before anyone else and so actually had a chance to be the first to answer. :p
And that may not be a cigar; it looks like a spliff, mon!

Miulang
March 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Or how 'bout Where in the world is 'THIS' world?
This is probably wrong, but everytime I see a globe sculpture, I think of Brigham Young University. When I was in school in Utah, we'd make forays down to BYU in Provo and at the main entrance, there was a sign that said, "The World Is Our Campus". We Utes would turn that around and say, "The Campus Is Our World" because we considered BYU to be very insular and provincial. :D So maybe this globe is on the BYU-Hawai'i campus at La'ie?

Mioulang

Glen Miyashiro
March 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Or how 'bout Where in the world is 'THIS' world?Uh... is that at the Contemporary Museum, up in Makiki?

LikaNui
March 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Name that part of Hawai`i that's wet.

Wait.

Name that part of Hawai`i that's dry.

:p

Menehune Man
March 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Uh... is that at the Contemporary Museum, up in Makiki?

Yes That's the place!

lurkah
March 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Name that part of Hawai`i that's dry.

Kimo's wit? :D

kimo55
March 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM
not to mention my martini.

Menehune Man
March 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
400 acres including a 32 acre lake?

"to make a place of peace and tranquility"

Name this place. :D

lurkah
March 31st, 2006, 04:03 AM
400 acres including a 32 acre lake?

"to make a place of peace and tranquility"

Name this place. :D

Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden.

Menehune Man
March 31st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden.

I love that area! A bit soggy at the moment though. It was designed and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to provide flood protection for Kaneohe.

Moto
March 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM
I remember the watching the news in the late 60's and seeing Keapuka Subdivision being flooded out (two or three times) during heavy rains.

Menehune Man
March 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Originally constructed in 1927, this "area" has changed names and ownership several times. Initially established as Kawaihapai Military Reservation, was redesigned as (blank- too easy) and was fully utilized after the outbreak of WWII. Today, this "area" is leased to the State of Hawaii and used by civilians.

kimo55
March 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Dillingham Military Reservation and Dillingham Army Airfield

Menehune Man
March 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Whoa da fas' li'dat! Kimo may not be the man but is one smart guy. :cool:

kimo55
March 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
I nevah wen spend decades ovah hea fo nahteen ya know.
I been called one smut fut befowuh and will be again.

(da weekly jes emailed me an said 'you can work fo us o wot ya smaht faht?' )

(RCJ just emailed me and said: "don't do it; i need ya for my new online newspepah "HawaiianKine Threads")

kimo55
March 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
named after famous story.

So. story goes;
Zsa Zsa Gabor, one used to the occasional flirtation, had her laundry delivered there in the Hills of Beverly, back in da 60's and da Chinese laundryman who prides himself on fass kine service, rings the doorbell and sez: "heah you clothes, Ma'am, Lickety Split."
She replied:
"never mind that. Just give me my clothes".

lurkah
March 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
I nevah wen spend decades ovah hea fo nahteen ya know.
I been called one smut fut befowuh and will be again.

(da weekly jes emailed me an said 'you can work fo us o wot ya smaht faht?' )

(RCJ just emailed me and said: "don't do it; i need ya for my new online newspepah "HawaiianKine Threads")

Hitting dem green bottles a bit early for a Friday, eh brah?

kimo55
March 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hitting dem green bottles a bit early for a Friday, eh brah?
i nebah wen spend mah whole life, thus far, being part Irish fo nahteen ya know.

Menehune Man
April 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Where's a few houses built "off-shore" of Oahu?

helen
April 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't this be around the airport, Sand Island area?

Menehune Man
April 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Yes, but more specifically... name of the Island their on?

Moto
April 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ford Island?

lurkah
April 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Mokauea Island...

...where I've stayed many times with friends who lived there.

Menehune Man
April 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Mokauea Island...

...where I've stayed many times with friends who lived there.

Very Good! Wow, you're lucky to have friends out there. :D

Menehune Man
April 6th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I think it's too hard, just posting a picture of a sculpture.
It's in Na Aina Kai Garden on Kauai.