Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Oregon

Aloha people!
    I just when join today. I from the Big Island. Sure do miss it. At least it's warming up here, almost summer. My garden starting to grow, can't wait for fresh bittermelon and watercress too And to Slickvic- boy the food look ssoooo ono! Aloha A Hui Hou

Re: Aloha from Oregon

So how did you end up in Oregon?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aloha Malia,

So where did you get the bittermelon seeds? I live in California a hundred miles from the Oregon border.

Welcome to the board.

Ale

Comment

OOPs...Sorry for the miss spelling of your name Melia.

And I wanted to know what part of the big island you from?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          So how did you end up in Oregon?
          Got a divorce after 20 years, my best friend lives here and and sent me a one way ticket

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
            Aloha Malia,

So where did you get the bittermelon seeds? I live in California a hundred miles from the Oregon border.

Welcome to the board.

Ale
            I went back home March of last year and stashed some from my dad. Only a few are coming up but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Mahalo for the welcome.

Comment

OOPs...Sorry for the miss spelling of your name Melia.

And I wanted to know what part of the big island you from?
              I was raised in Ka'u but spent the rest of my life living in Hilo near Cafe 100

Comment

Melia...what a beautiful sounding name...what does it mean? And welcome to the local threads...it's wonderful to be able to communicate even if we're not at home in Hawaii.
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Oregon is beautiful this time of year, my son graduated from Willamette U...gosh maybe 12 years ago and when we went to the graduation the flowers were in bloom, everything was green...Salem was nice but I did not like Medford...people weren't friendly.
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

Wow, what a small world yea.

I know cafe 100, used to go to the elementary school across the street. Kapiolani. My aunty used to live in Pahala till her husband died and she moved to Honolulu. My cousin lived in Na'alehu, till the plantation (sugar) closed and he moved to puna. His wife was from south point area. I have fond memories of Punalu'u and Honuapu ( I hope I wen spell that right). We used to catch opai at both places and then go to Kawaa and go fishing. Oh, let me tell ya.....the opihi used to be so big down there. We also used to dive for abalone. Oh what memories.
                    Cafe 100 where we got loco moco and goody goody ice cream. Me and my best friend used to go behind there and catch aholehole all the time. Only in the summer when I used to visit the big island. I moved away with my dad but used to visit every summer.

I'm glad you on the board.

Comment

Ah, Big Island folks! My family (on my mother's side) is originally from the Big Island. Specifically, Kapa`au/Hawi, at the northernmost point. I also attended UH-Hilo for a year and a half, and met my wife there... we visit as often as we can, and dream often of living there someday.

Welcome, Melialenalena! Where in Oregon are you? Get plenty locals up there, I think? My best friend lives in Portland... it's one of the few places we'd consider living if Hawaii wasn't an option.

Comment

Mahalo to everyone for the warm welcomes. It's great to hear from people who know what I talking about when I say Cafe 100 or Ka'u. Yes, Oregon is beautiful at this time of the year with all the spring flowers. And just when you thought all the plants around was dead, they start budding and blooming like crazy. But still I miss the local flowers like the puakinikini, gardenia,night blooming jasmine and the plumeria. And to Mocha - Melialenalena means yellow plumeria. My kumu gave me that name because the yellow last the longest of all the plumerias after picked
                        Aleno - I grew up in Pahala and also lived right across Kapiolani School on Mohouli st. for 20 years. The park behind the school was like my front yard. My 2 sons grew up there! I sure do Miss it. Sometimes I wonder what am I doing here when I could be enjoying the warmth of the best beaches and the aloha from all the locals. But just too expensive to live there. Awe

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          My best friend lives in Portland... it's one of the few places we'd consider living if Hawaii wasn't an option.
                          It's been a toss up between Hawaii and Washington state for us to retire at. Our kids want us to move to back to Washington. We were stationed there for a few years and absolutely fell in love with the area. There are quite a few "islanders" living there, not only Hawaii but also Micronesia, Marianas and other Polynesian islands.
                          Send POI

Comment

The name is beautiful Melialenalena.

I used to live below st. joe school. back in the 60's there used to be house on kinoole st at the end of the playing field of st. joe school. It was near sun sun lau chinese resturaunt.

My aunt lived 3 houses up from the japanese church in Pahala that is behind the hospital ( the new one). I still remember the old plantation hospital made of wood. I remember the old sugar mill, the theater near by, the club house, and the grocery store where the san pam bus used to drop me off when I would go to visit. This was in the 60's and early 70's, The food is what I really remember at the bon dance and at the chicken fights. I loved it in Pahala. I use to go to the demolition derby in Naalehu during the summers and even tried to catch a greased pig but failed.

I left hawaii in the late 70'sfor the military but returned in 83. I then left Hawaii 84 for California where I went to UC Davis. I got a degree but decided to become a fireman. I took class from the base near by became a fireman. I then moved up to Portland Oregon with my wife and children. We lived in Grisham for 5 years. Then off to Vancouver we moved. I got divorced there. I decided to move back to CA because of all the fighting me and my ex were doing. So here I sit in N.Ca.

So, Leimamo
                            What part of Washington did you want to move to?

PZ, My grand father was raised in Palolu valley. He used to take me through Hawi when he used to visit his relatives. He used to show me where he worked as a young kid. He used to work cane field from when he was 11 years old. He said he used to live in a grass shack till they knocked it down. They lived in tents till they moved up the valley and build a house. That house was knocked down after his father passed away because he owned the house but not the land.

Comment

So, Leimamo
                              What part of Washington did you want to move to?
                              Whidbey Island would be the perfect place to retire. Heh. It's still an island.
                              Send POI

Comment

Working...
                              X