rock & roll hall of fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rock & roll hall of fame

if anyone's interested, you can watch the rock and roll hall of fame's latest inductees tonight on vh1.

http://www.rockhall.com/hof/currinductees.asp

some pictures: http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/g...ion=6.0.12.872

some info: http://www.rollingstone.com/special/...l_of_fame_2006
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002074816

some unknowns

black sabbath, blondie, miles davis, lynyrd skynyrd, sex pistols.

and if you've read about it, you know that there was a little thing with blondie's group; i hope they air it!
    Last edited by shaveice; March 21, 2006, 02:40 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: rock & roll hall of fame

Originally posted by shaveice
    [...]black sabbath, blondie, miles davis, lynyrd skynyrd, sex pistols.[...]
    Miles Davis? Wassup with that?! Or was he a closet avant garde rocker?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Miles Davis? Wassup with that?! Or was he a closet avant garde rocker?

Play "Bitches Brew". LOUD.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil
        Play "Bitches Brew". LOUD.
        I guess it's just my ol' ears but 'Bitches Brew' sounds like avant garde jazz to me, regardless of volume. I remember a jazz concert held at the Shell during the mid 80's...Miles Davis, Chick Correa, Herbie Hancock (I think!) and several others. Davis played typical Davis style; with his back to the audience, chin touching his chest. His entire set could've been 'Bitches Brew'. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Miles Davis just kind of seem like a mismatch to me!

Comment

it was a pretty interesting show. for me, the highlight was metallica playing black sabbath tunes (and damn if robert trujillo doesn't rock!)
          Last edited by shaveice; March 22, 2006, 12:21 AM.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            it was a pretty interesting show. for me, the highlight was metallica playing black sabbath tunes (and damn if robert trujillo doesn't rock!)

James sounded horrible. Hole in the sky was okay, good choice.

Comment

I guess it's just my ol' ears but 'Bitches Brew' sounds like avant garde jazz to me, regardless of volume.
              Part of that may be due to the perspective of time gone by. When it was first released in 1969, very few jazz artists of Davis' fame and caliber were willing to incorporate strong elements of rock (instrumentation & structure) into their work. "Bitches Brew" opened up a lot of doors and gave a huge kick-start to the whole jazz-rock genre.

Fans of Davis' work from that era are probably familiar with his "Live/Evil" album, part of which which featured edited excerpts from performances held at DC's Cellar Door --- all of that material is now available as a six-disc "Cellar Door Sessions" box set.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                Part of that may be due to the perspective of time gone by. When it was first released in 1969, very few jazz artists of Davis' fame and caliber were willing to incorporate strong elements of rock (instrumentation & structure) into their work. "Bitches Brew" opened up a lot of doors and gave a huge kick-start to the whole jazz-rock genre.

Fans of Davis' work from that era are probably familiar with his "Live/Evil" album, part of which which featured edited excerpts from performances held at DC's Cellar Door --- all of that material is now available as a six-disc "Cellar Door Sessions" box set.
                Very interesting. Thanks LL. I love music but am not music savvy so something like rock instrumentation and structure flies right over my head. When I previewed Edgar Winter I 'heard' rock. When I previewed the tunes from "Bitches Brew" I 'heard' avant garde jazz. My knowledge, not to mention hearing, isn't fine tuned enough to pick up the cross over nuances esp. when it comes to Miles Davis. There were times he was so 'out there' I remember thinking he was inventing his own genre! I wasn't a huge fan but did love some of his more mainstream stuff.

Comment

... Miles Davis. There were times he was so 'out there' I remember thinking he was inventing his own genre!
                  Same here. I saw him in concert a few times and it seemed that he and his bandmates were each playing a different free-form song all at the same time, and in different keys even. Way too bizarre for my taste.
                  Last edited by LikaNui; March 22, 2006, 03:26 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    Same here. I saw him in concert a few times and it seemed that he and his bandmates were each playing a different free-form song all at the same time, and in different keys even. Way too bizarre for my taste.
                    Mine too. That was probably 'free jazz' which is completely unstructured...everyone doin' their own thing...a big conglomeration of solos! It scrambles my brain yet I know people (musicians!) who love it. Different strokes...yada, yada!

Comment

About time they put Sabbath in there. If only they could take James Taylor out.

Comment

Working...
                      X