Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin taxes and other attempts to save us from ourselves

starbulletin.com/2006/03/21/news/story09.html

According to the Star Bulletin, our State legislature is considering three “health focused” bills: One that would further restrict smoking in public places, one that would ban the sale of flavored cigarettes on the grounds that they are believed to be appealing to children, and one to raise the taxes on cigarette sales. Rep. Josh Green is quoted as saying that by making it more expensive for people to smoke, fewer people will smoke.

I’m ambivalent about how far our government should go to protect us from ourselves. I understand that there is an issue with second hand smoke potentially harming people who don’t smoke. I even agree that people should not smoke (*hides from all the smokers*) just as I agree that I should lose weight, exercise more and eat only healthy foods. But how far do we go? French fry ban or tax? Excess poundage tax? I scoff at the people who sue fast food restaurants because they eat there and gain weight. But there’s got to be a balance between protecting people, personal responsibility and personal freedom to make choices even choices that may not be wise for us.

Re: Sin taxes and other attempts to save us from ourselves

Nothing against heavier weight people, but once when I was flying in a coach seat, this person next to me requested that I keep the arm rest up throughout the remainder of the flight. If I put it down (like one is supposed to), it wouldn't go down since the person next to me was taking up all of their coach class seat and HALF of mine!!! I was pressed against the aisle for the entire duration of the flight. Good thing it was only from the west coast and not from Asia!!!

On the topic of health focused bills, maybe they should consider revisiting the airline policies too.

My oversided neighbor was polite, or else I would have made a really big stink if was rude, smelly and/or just pilau!!!! I didn't say anything since they were all polite about it and such.

Comment

The War on Drugs is the pinnacle of this type of flawed thinking.

Same with making prostitution illegal....Same as many other types of laws that most "libertarian" types like to talk about.

Though not a libertarian, I agree these laws are rooted in folly.

ps - being overweight is a choice...i know...i just lost 32 lbs in 3 grueling fn years...hardest damned thing i ever did in my life.
      Last edited by timkona; March 21, 2006, 08:58 PM.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Ah, well like I said, I'm ambivalent about it. I do think some restrictions are good but I sometimes wonder how far our government should go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          Nothing against heavier weight people, but once when I was flying in a coach seat, this person next to me requested that I keep the arm rest up throughout the remainder of the flight. If I put it down (like one is supposed to), it wouldn't go down since the person next to me was taking up all of their coach class seat and HALF of mine!!! I was pressed against the aisle for the entire duration of the flight. Good thing it was only from the west coast and not from Asia!!!

On the topic of health focused bills, maybe they should consider revisiting the airline policies too.

My oversided neighbor was polite, or else I would have made a really big stink if was rude, smelly and/or just pilau!!!! I didn't say anything since they were all polite about it and such.
          Southwest Airlines already has a policy where if the gate agent thinks you won't fit comfortably into a seat, they will force you to pay for 2 seats or refuse to board you. They've taken quite a bit of flack over this policy. In defense of the pleasingly plump person, though, the airline industry should take some of the blame because the seats in today's planes have become a little less wide (as people's girths have increased) and the padding on the seats a lot thinner than in days past in order to maximize their revenue, while making all their passengers (except the ones in Business and First Class) feel like they are in a sardine can.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Adri

I’m ambivalent about how far our government should go to protect us from ourselves. I understand that there is an issue with second hand smoke potentially harming people who don’t smoke. I even agree that people should not smoke (*hides from all the smokers*) just as I agree that I should lose weight, exercise more and eat only healthy foods. But how far do we go?
            not necessarily answering your question, but peer and social pressures are powerful things. Go into the heart of HNL in the business district and notice how many cigarette ads and smokers there are and do the same on Sand Island. Per capita, cigarette smoking is greatly promoted in blue collar/industrial areas, as compared to downtown ( w/ college students comprising the largest demographic of smokers).

pax

Comment

Working...
            X