Ohio to Hilo :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio to Hilo :)

My husband received a job offer from the University and we are coming out to explore the Big Island. I have been to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu but not the big island. I am pretty nervous about making the RIGHT decision for us. I have already explored a lot of pros and cons about life in hawaii. I have read "So you want to live in Hawaii" a few years back but now the options are definetly there!
    We have no children, no plans in the immediate future, but 2 little fur babies that would be coming with us!
    Thanks for all your post and information so far!
    Amanda

Re: Ohio to Hilo

I don't know if this is still the policy, but when we moved to Hilo from California in the eighties, we had to quarantine our dog in Honolulu for three months. They gave her heartworm pills that basically poisoned her, and she did not live long after we got her to Hilo.

Comment

Thank you for that information I read that luckily the quarantine policy has DRASTICALLY changed! Now if you have all your ducks in a row pets should be able to pass through within minutes. If it wasnt that way, I wouldnt even hesitate! My girls are a big part of my life!

Comment

Quarantine laws have changed. It's much easier now as long as there's time to plan ahead.

As long as you have no children and you've done your research so that you understand the cost of living...go for it! Always keep a fairly inaccessible reserve in a bank, CD, whatever that will easily allow you to move back to the mainland should that be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ama0722
          Thank you for that information I read that luckily the quarantine policy has DRASTICALLY changed! Now if you have all your ducks in a row pets should be able to pass through within minutes. If it wasnt that way, I wouldnt even hesitate! My girls are a big part of my life!
          It's "easier" than in the past, where if you immunize your pets according to the schedule the State of Hawai'i has published and have the paperwork, no quarrantine is involved (you do have to start with the shots about a year in advance of the time you want to move to Hawai'i, though). And if you're moving to the one of the Neighbor Islands, you have to go through Honolulu which is where the main Dept of Agriculture station is. And if you fly into Honolulu on Thursday or Friday or the weekend, your pet may be held in Honolulu until the following Monday. I hope your cats aren't purebreds like Bengals, because apparently Bengals are one breed that is not allowed into the State.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think I have everything lined up for my dogs (I have a havanese and a maltese) shot wise. I do dog competitions and stuff so they have to have their shots. They will go in a few weeks back to the vet for the spring. I really need to jump all over this stuff before/if we accept the position!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              It's "easier" than in the past, where if you immunize your pets according to the schedule the State of Hawai'i has published and have the paperwork, no quarrantine is involved (you do have to start with the shots about a year in advance of the time you want to move to Hawai'i, though). And if you're moving to the one of the Neighbor Islands, you have to go through Honolulu which is where the main Dept of Agriculture station is. And if you fly into Honolulu on Thursday or Friday or the weekend, your pet may be held in Honolulu until the following Monday. I hope your cats aren't purebreds like Bengals, because apparently Bengals are one breed that is not allowed into the State.

Miulang
              Just out of curiosity, why aren't certain breeds allowed into the state?

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow
                Just out of curiosity, why aren't certain breeds allowed into the state?
                Probably because they're afraid that some breeds are not fully domesticated. For instance, wolves and wolf crosses aren't allowed, and Bengal cats probably aren't allowed because they are crosses of a domestic cat and a civet (wild) cat. That's my only guess. Probably would be interesting to find out the reasons from the Agriculture Dept., though.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X