This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You GO for $39?

Mesa Airlines unveiled its new airline today simply as GO and started a $39 interisland fare war today. Good for interisland travellers, maybe bad for the bottom line on the established brands.

Here is an item out of the AP Newswire via Seattle:

Go Airlines Debuts, Sparking Airfare War

HONOLULU -- A new interisland carrier Thursday began selling one-way fares on its Web site for $39, sparking an airfare war in Hawaii.

Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group Inc. said its new "go!" airlines will start flying between Honolulu and Lihue, Kahului, Hilo and Kailua-Kona on June 9.

Mesa is one of the nation's largest regional carriers with 182 jets, 5,000 employees and annual revenues of $1 billion....

The night before Mesa's scheduled news conference in Honolulu, Aloha and Hawaiian announced they were selling a limited number of $39 seats through April 7 for travel June 9 through Sept. 30.
    Similar articles and news stories appeared in today's local papers as well as on TV tonight.

Here is Go!'s website: http://www.iflygo.com/

You have to admit, a $39 one-way interisland fare is a great deal no matter what airline you are flying. I just made a reservatiuon and e-ticket purchase for a round trip from HNL to ITO (Hilo) tonight on Hawaiian Air for $39, to be taken this summer.

Anyone thinking about flying interisland during the sales window better put in a reservation early. A lot of the seats on the flights I saw for Hawaiian were already taken, with some flights blocked out of the $39 deal. Never checked Aloha, but I think we can assume the same.

I will take a look at Go's website too... however I am always a little skeptical about booking with a carrier that is not yet here and will only start hiring personnel tomorrow.

BTW, the $39 price is only for the airfare which for a roundtrip comes out to $78. Taxes add $11.60 to the total price.
    Last edited by mel; March 23, 2006, 10:10 PM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Are You GO for $39?

Well, I'm booking for two. Why not. Da price is right! hahahahaha

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I hope Go will survive the corporate battles that Hawaiian and Aloha wage against new carriers.

One thing that really pissed me off about Hawaiian's Frequent Flyer's card (Visa) was that if you miss a payment you automatically are thrown into the 28% APR on credit purchases. If your balance is at around $5,000 (an amount pretty much needed for a substantial frequent flyer round trip) and you miss that payment, the interest rate that is tacked on pretty much takes away any cost savings from the use of that card.

I missed that one crucial payment and found myself paying 28% on my exisiting balance. Oh well I guess I won't be using that card anytime soon with interest rates like that. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it in the first place and it doesn't want to encourage card holders to use their cards if their interest rates outpace the price of airfare...especially now with these low rates. I think the marketing people better think of another strategy if they want to keep these cards viable.

At $39 who needs frequent flyer cards at any interest rate!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Guarantee I'm heading to Honolulu to show my daughter some big city living.

I'm sure Aloha & Hawaiian are squeezing bricks behind closed doors. Serves em right !!

$39 .... lol...even at $69 they are killin the competition.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

WUZ bound to happen! Sooner or later We All GO!!!!/ CAN!!!
          Now our 2 Major carriers gotta watch out, cause these GUY`S get the BIG BUCK`S backing them up.
          MAHALO AIR, DISCOVERY AIR, MID PACIFIC, all tried with these guy`s, but never happen. Sure we all back up our local business no matter watt???? It`s time to give back to the OHANA!!!!! OGGBOY
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            [...]One thing that really pissed me off about Hawaiian's Frequent Flyer's card (Visa) was that if you miss a payment you automatically are thrown into the 28% APR on credit purchases. If your balance is at around $5,000 (an amount pretty much needed for a substantial frequent flyer round trip) and you miss that payment, the interest rate that is tacked on pretty much takes away any cost savings from the use of that card.[...]
            Oprah has an ongoing 'debt diet' show. Today the 'debt doctors' talked about the credit card schemes like you mention above. Amazing! I have one credit card and I pay it off online each month. One month I made a typo and shorted the full amount by 3 CENTS! I was charged the full amount of interest as if I'd made no payment! When I discovered the mistake I called customer service. The rep was very understanding and very kind and removed the interest from my bill. Phew!

Comment

Mesa ("Go") has to buy marketshare by offering ridiculously cheap airfare. If Hawaiian and Aloha are smart, they won't try to match Mesa's low fares, because those introductory fares won't last long, if Mesa intends to be a player in the Hawai'i market (the employees probably won't be unionized, either). One thing that Mesa might force the already established airlines to do is relax some of their stupid rules (like the fee for changing your reservation) and ramp up service, which would be a good thing.

HAL and Aloha won't have to worry too much because they will still cater to the tourists from the Mainland, and I've flown in those Mesa turboprops up here (between Phoenix and Palm Springs) and I'd still prefer a Boeing jet. I suppose for the short interisland hops it doesn't matter too much because you're not in the air for long, and they are better than flying in those Cessnas that the charters use.

Miulang

P.S. As I recall on my flights between Phoenix and Palm Springs (which took about an hour), Mesa is very no frills...no coffee, no juice, no nothing.
              Last edited by Miulang; March 25, 2006, 08:34 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Actually Mesa (go!) is flying jets, Bombardier CRJ-200 jets. The look similar to Hawaiian's 717-200, but a little smaller. Bombardier is a Canadian company. They will be the first RJ Jets flown in the islands.
                Arturo

P.S. HA and AQ have already matched go!'s O/W $39 price.
                Last edited by arturo_h; March 25, 2006, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                  Actually Mesa (go!) is flying jets, Bombardier CRJ-200 jets. The look similar to Hawaiian's 717-200, but a little smaller. Bombardier is a Canadian company. They will be the first RJ Jets flown in the islands.
                  Arturo

They may have matched Go's pricing, but it won't be that way forever. So take advantage of HA's and AQ's pricing while they are still trying to match Go, and then go to Go when the prices go back up again.

Miulang

P.S. One other thing to consider: Both HA and AQ are headquartered in Hawai'i. That means the money stays in Hawai'i. Mesa is HQ'd in Arizona and its money will be headed to AZ. Just like trying to buy local produce to support local farmers, you should seriously consider supporting both HA and AQ because they are Hawai'i born and bred.
                  Last edited by Miulang; March 25, 2006, 01:53 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I see what you are saying...but I wouldn't think go!'s prices would remain at $39 either. And about supporting local companies like HA and AQ; you should tell that to people who buy foreign cars .
                    Arturo

Comment

I'm gone!

However, I'll be using Hawaiian to rack up my mileage during this "price war."

Remember the "Burger" wars early on... $1.00 whoppers... $1.00 jumbo jacks... etc.?

Anyone change there favorite burger because of those wars?

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                        Arturo

That doesn't sound right... HAL's inter-island planes hold over 120 passengers each, the reports I've seen about GO! is that they only hold 50 passengers each. So I'm picturing something closer to the SIZE of Island Air's planes... and how come nobody ever gives them any credit in these discussions? Sheesh.

LOL

now then... I have so many shows coming up it's freakin' ridiculous.
                        Come on down one of these nights!

aloha
                        808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

The CRJ 200 is indeed a small jet:

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/crj200/

Bombardier is the same firm that makes the Q400 propjet which Island Air just acquired. I think they are to get 2 or 3 of them. The Dash 8 which Island Air currently flies were once made by DeHavilland of Canada in the 1980s before the firm was sold to Boeing. It was later acquired by Bombardier who have introduced the Q series turboprops as a follow-up to the successful Dash 8.

Has anyone checked if Island Air is offering a $39 fare?

This would be good for those people flying to Molokai and Lanai. Island Air and smaller competitor Pacific Wings are the only 2 airlines with regular service to those islands.... and I think Pacific Wings only flies charters to Molokai.

Here is a pic of Island Air's new Q400
                          http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1021307/L/
                          Originally posted by Miulang
                          One other thing to consider: Both HA and AQ are headquartered in Hawai'i. That means the money stays in Hawai'i. Mesa is HQ'd in Arizona and its money will be headed to AZ. Just like trying to buy local produce to support local farmers, you should seriously consider supporting both HA and AQ because they are Hawai'i born and bred.
                          When most people shop, the price vs. product/service value enters the equation long before anyone thinks whether or not the firm is local or out of state or country. Consumers are like that. We like the best products or services for the lowest possible prices.

This is why airlines such as Southwest are successful. This is why Mesa is also apparently successful.

Same holds true for the big boxes and corporate retailers. WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco, Home Depot are all successful because they can offer consumers good prices. There is still room for the local store, but they are generally forced to adjust to a new market and find a niche.... usually at somewhat higher prices.

People vote with their wallets. That is the free market way.
                          Competition, Price, Choice.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

OK. I just went to Island Air's website and priced a theoretical flight this August from Honolulu to Hilo and back again using their "Super Web Special". The roundtrip price for the flights are $79.14, which puts them in a compeititive position with Go's $39 special. I am sure you have to throw in that $11 tax to push the price up to its actual $90 or so. Which turns out the be near the same price I paid for my ticket this summer on Hawaiian.

So yes, the marketplace has responded. Get your tickets early.
                            Last edited by mel; March 25, 2006, 06:05 PM.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ya know, either Aloha or Hawaiian could have had a fare sale at any time prior to Mesa showing up and I would have appreciated and patronized the airline. But all I've seen out of those two for decades now is "whatever they are charging is what we're charging."

For them to lower their prices now that an interloper has upset their unspoken collusion, and then expect all the "locals" to support them because they're "local" is hypocritical.

They weren't supporting "local" when they declared bankruptcy and tried to lose the union. They weren't supporting "locals" when they declared they couldn't pay their debts.

They weren't supporting "locals" when their CEO asked for millions of dollars in bonuses, while asking all the workers to take pay cuts and accept down-sizing.

Good ole "local boys," eh? Support us! Shakah, brah! We stay local! "We go fly!" C'mon, support us, we good guys! We no mo money! C'mon, help us out! We stay local!

When I hear that, the translation comes across as, "We tink you guys stay stupid!"
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X