Canadian incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian incoming

Well, I've been lurking here for about 3 months now.
    I'd like to thank everyone here for the wealth of information I've managed to pick up in that time.

I'm going to be accepting a job on O'ahu starting in April. Probably my biggest fear is the cost of living, but I'm really looking forward to getting to know a new culture. Island isolation shouldn't be too much of problem as I've lived on islands for about 10 of the last 14 years. Culture shock is a definite possibility, but I've dealt with it before and have found having an open mind, and listening and learning rather than talking helps with the transition. As always there are a few quesions left.

1) Are there any neighborhoods you guys recommend? Which ones do you not rcommend? I'll either be working in Kaneohe or over near Waikiki, so suggestions for both sides would be most appreciated.

2) I'm planning on shipping my truck over, and I'm thinking about installing an alarm and a fuel pump kill switch. Would this be overkill? (I keep hearing that property crimes are high).

3) I've had people tell me that I might have issues since I'm a haole, I figure that in most cases you get back what you put out. ie. If I'm a jerk I should expect the same back. I'm guessing that attitudes will vary depending on what you're doing and where your doing it. Any thoughts on this?

Any input you might have is greatly appreciated
Working...
X