Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Encounters with Great White Sharks in Hawai‘ian Waters

http://www.research.noaa.gov/spotlit...hiteshark.html

"....The third encounter took place on January 4, 2005 [Figure 5] , and unlike the previous two, occurred in shallow water. Blesi Varney, a guide for B&B Scuba, took a group of four recreational divers to dive off the Maui coast at Molokini Island. While three of the divers surfaced, Varney and Jon Chakerian took a final tour of the reef to look for interesting subjects to photograph.

Varney and Chakerian were at a depth of 39 ft near a ledge that dropped off to 60 ft when they saw a shark 40 ft away from them rising slowly from below. At first they thought it was going to swim away, so Chakerian quickly took some pictures. Then, suddenly, the shark turned and started coming straight at them. Both the divers hugged the bottom as the shark passed 15 ft directly over their heads, paused briefly, then turned and slowly swam away. Varney was unable to identify its sex, but noted its substantial size. Chakerian's photographs verified the shark as a great white and identified a distinct scar near the shark's gills, suggesting it was not the shark encountered in Oahu....
    "

Re: Recent Encounters with Great White Sharks in Hawai‘ian Waters

Originally posted by Palaina
    Varney and Chakerian were at a depth of 39 ft near a ledge that dropped off to 60 ft when they saw a shark 40 ft away from them rising slowly from below. At first they thought it was going to swim away, so Chakerian quickly took some pictures. Then, suddenly, the shark turned and started coming straight at them. Both the divers hugged the bottom as the shark passed 15 ft directly over their heads, paused briefly, then turned and slowly swam away. Varney was unable to identify its sex, but noted its substantial size. Chakerian's photographs verified the shark as a great white and identified a distinct scar near the shark's gills, suggesting it was not the shark encountered in Oahu....
    "
    Nice sighting! I've done quite a few dives with B&B off Molokini. On one dive, the divers at the front of the group saw a Whale Shark. I was bringing up the rear of the group (it was part of my divemaster training) and by the time I got there it had gone. Bummer!

Peter F

Comment

Working...
    X