Elvis Costello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elvis Costello

Looking forward to seeing him with the Symphony--I'll be there both nights.

I would prefer to see him with The Imposters, but you can't have everything.

Anyone else going?

Re: Elvis Costello

I've been meaning to buy tickets...I hear the concert is almost sold out. So if any of you are interested, you'd better act fast! I'm hoping to go over to Honolulu Club prior with my ticket so I can take advantage of their 15 percent discount to Honolulu Symphony ticket holders--if I go...

Comment

I also have tickets for both nights, and a date for neither, as of 8:54 Sunday night. Gotta get on that phone...
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

He's playing here? I didn't even hear that he was going to be playing here before I saw this thread. gah! I've got to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
          I've been meaning to buy tickets...I hear the concert is almost sold out.
          Originally posted by scrivener
          I also have tickets for both nights, and a date for neither, as of 8:54 Sunday night.
          I've got a thought...

Of course AbsolutChaos has a beau, but she's stellar company, and Scrivener is quite the gentleman. I'd just hate to see extra tickets go to waste...

Comment

heh. sadly I cannot make March 31 or April 1. But dammit, I would have not scheduled anything if I had known he was going to sing here. Clearly I gotta check this thread more often

Comment

Here is a review of the concert on the mainland.
              http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...try_id=1447395
              Spoilers?
              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

It was a wonderful show, and Elvis was right on. Of three songs I really, really, really wanted to hear ("Alison," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?" and "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror"), he did one, which I figure is good enough, since he has said that those songs are not really where he's at right now. He did do "She," from the Notting Hill soundtrack, and that was a nice surprise, and did his final encore without the microphone, standing on the very edge of the skirt, leading the audience in a little sing-along.

Elvis is the God of Cool. Can't wait for tomorrow night's show!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What a wonderful performance. Steve Nieve is worth the price of admission himself.

I would love to hear Elvis and the Symphony do the whole Costello/Bacharach album, the two songs they did were amazing.

Comment

Here's a photo to help you remember the occasion:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/01/news/wild.html
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Was there an opening act for him?
                      Just curious.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There was an opening act, but it was outside, by the entrance before heading into the show.

I was actually really disappointed. I loved his music...but he had no stage presence. He stood far back and was lost in the crowd of the orchestra. The final song where he sang w/o a mic was great and engaging...except when he turned his head to either side, the volume was inaudible and it was a complete loss. That might have worked in a smaller venue or if the stage was set up like they do for the opera, with amplifiers built into the set. The mic was not working all that well and sometimes, the music drowned out his voice. I was so disappointed...I loved his songs.

I should have just listened to them on CD...at least I would still hold his music in high regards. I am really sad. Plus- I think he had a cold or something with all the wet weather lately, it would not surprise me. He was not able to hit all the notes perfectly and some songs fell flat. BOO HOO...so sad...The orchestra music was great, though. Unfortunately, I came for Elvis and I have to give the overall concert a thumbs down.
                        Last edited by Grace92866; April 1, 2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Grace. I'm sorry you were disappointed, and I can see why, but that spot where Elvis stood is where vocalists stand when they sing with the Symphony. Renee Fleming stood there last weekend, and just about every soloist I've seen stands right there. The soloist needs to be aware of the conductor, which is probably a huge part of it.

As for an opening act, this was not a rock concert; it was a pops concert. You usually don't see an opening act for a show like that.

Yes, there were moments where his voice dropped out a bit (mostly it was a moody microphone), but with Elvis it was never about his voice -- he never had a brilliant voice to begin with. Everything about him is how he pours himself out in that voice; he is one of the best ever at laying his soul bare while he sings, and in that regard, I thought he was awesome.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            Elvis is the God of Cool. Can't wait for tomorrow night's show!

Was the second evening's set any different from the first evening's?

Comment

The set was identical. There were a few differences: The audience was much more enthusiastic the second night. Elvis chatted a bit more between songs the second night, too, and seemed a bit more relaxed. His voice wasn't as strong the second night, but he made up for it with a little more (if that's possible for Elvis) soul.

Also, the first night, Elvis did two encores. He was told before he went out for the encore on Saturday night that they had to wrap it up, so he did all three of his encore songs in the first encore, rather than two and one as on Friday night.

If that one song from his forthcoming album is any indication, it's going to kick butt. It was again the highlight of the evening for me:

"Wake me up
                              Wake me up
                              Wake me up
                              With a slap or a kiss
                              There must be something
                              Better than this..."
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X