Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car 'faces' looking meaner... for a reason

Source and full article.

For its new 3-Series sedan, BMW gave the headlights a slanted effect, like downturned eyebrows. Some concept cars are more extreme, with Hyundai's HCD9 Talus featuring a gaping grille and headlights divided by a horizontal, goat's-eye-style slit. The Dodge Charger, which came out last summer, has headlight pods shaped like a tiger's eyes. "The Charger's eyes are definitely its greatest assets. The headlights seem to make eye contact the same way people do on the street," says Dodge and Chrysler designer Ralph Gilles. "A mean face is what we're going for."
    I never noticed that until I read the article.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Car 'faces' looking meaner... for a reason

I feel better now that I know that designers give cars "faces" on purpose.

I always talk about how cars have "mad faces" or "happy faces" or "animal faces," or whatnot, and my friends always look at me like I'm crazy. I refuse to buy a vehicle if I don't like the "face" it makes in the front and the back. Seriously. I kid you not. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Comment

I think the grillwork of any car will make or break how successful it will be. BMW has lost it's shark appeal and has lost it's enthusiasm with many diehard BMW owners.

The Chrysler 300 has a grill that looks like a big box. Nothing stunning at all.

I'm holding out for Lincoln Mercury to come out with a retro late 60's early 70's Cougar with the hide away headlights and the sequential rear turn indicators. I think the target model should be the 1969/70 Cougar Eliminator.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Front and rear styling of many cars are make or break marketing decisions.

Some of the most successful styling cues over the years have included:

1965 - 66 & 67 - 70 Ford Mustangs
        1967 - 70 Mercury Cougars
        1967 - 69 Chevy Camaro & Pontiac Firebird
        2005 - 2006 Ford Mustang - retro styling to 1969 look

All of the current Dodge Ram and Dodge Dakota trucks

I am sure there are more vehicles we can think of that have very nice styling both front and rear. Even larger family style sedans can be made to look very nice... examples include many Chevy Impala and Caprice models of the 1960s and early 1970s. Another good example are the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable twins of 1986 to 1991.

Even "ugly" cars can be styling successes: The original Volkswagen Beetle was even marketed as "ugly" a long time ago.

Then there are cars that were just damn ugly and failed big time. Best example was put out by Ford in 1957 - 59... The Edsel.

Ford seemed to repeat this with the new 2005 Ford 500.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So are the following cars mean, attractive, nice, ugly or whatever?
          (Photos taken at last year's car show)

This seems to be an attractive looking car.

This vehicle has been on the market for a few years, but I don't think they are rolling out of dealer showrooms en masse.

I don't know if these are attractive, but their size and looks are probably quite aggresive and certainly popular. I see a lot of Hummers in our city.

Is this car going to be successful for Ford or end up as another dud like the Ford 500?
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My thoughts go like this...

1) Sexy
            2) Kidkine Cute
            3) Rugged Handsome
            4) Drunk

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I always thought that the "L-Finesse" design philosopy adopted by Toyota for its Lexus line looked slightly more "agressive."

2nd Generation Lexus IS

1st Generation Lexus IS
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                I feel better now that I know that designers give cars "faces" on purpose.

I always talk about how cars have "mad faces" or "happy faces" or "animal faces," or whatnot, and my friends always look at me like I'm crazy. I refuse to buy a vehicle if I don't like the "face" it makes in the front and the back. Seriously. I kid you not. Am I the only one who thinks this way?
                LOL! No, my mom sometimes comments about what mean "eyes" (headlights) a car has and I usually look at her like she's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                  I feel better now that I know that designers give cars "faces" on purpose... Seriously. I kid you not. Am I the only one who thinks this way?
                  Not at all. Whether designed in terms of "faces" or not, car companies spend millions on the basic, cosmetic "look" of a car, going far beyond aerodynamics, and then of course go through all sorts of machinations to keep those designs under wraps from the automotive press until it's time to unveil them.

Remember when the Dodge Neon was introduced? And its "Hi." ads?

The front of the Chrysler 300M isn't for everyone, but the idea there was to go for distinctive, and that it certainly is. And they're selling relatively well. Same goes for the PT Cruiser. Heck, even the round-y design of the Ford Taurus was considered special... until every other car looked exactly like it.

Then there's everyone favorite contemporary example of "face" design gone bad, the Pontiac Aztek. It looked like a reject from a Transformers toy, or a set piece from a Batman movie. I was actually looking for one, at one point, since the resale price was so low -- the car was functionally fine, just ugly as hell.

Comment

Working...
                  X