How is Hawaii Web Design industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Hawaii Web Design industry?

I'm moving there and I'm a teacher but learning fast to do web animation. I wonder if there is freelance work to be had in this field locally. I know I can get work online (in other parts of the country), but can't find any hawaii companies online to speak of. Where are the hawaiian web designers/animators???

Re: How is Hawaii Web Design industry?

I'm an amature web-designer, and have done quite a few freelance jobs, not many of them for hawaii resident though. Not sure if there is a market for design here or not, but I do know that it is not hard to get the jobs when they present themselves.
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

There was a time when it seemed like you couldn't throw a rock in this town without hitting someone who does web design. Where folks would put "web design" on their resume if they had FrontPage installed.

There are still a lot of freelance designers here, but I'd bet most of them don't make a living at it. It's something done on the side, next to a "real job." The fact that so many of us are willing to work for peanuts doesn't help. Most of the real money in web development is now going toward traditional PR and marketing firms, who fold it into a larger plan under "new media" or somesuch.

I'm not sure how much demand there is locally, either. True, you could live here and do web design for people anywhere, and I know people who are doing just that. (Lucky bastards.) But I also know companies here who have found they can get a decent, customized web site from shops in India or Southeast Asia for peanuts. That global marketplace, she cuts both ways!

Comment

At my school, there's a web design class, and I've seen the numbers decline to where the class isn't offered because of low interest (only two people were interested).
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Today's high school and college kids are usually more tech and web savvy than people "trained" and hired to teach them.

Besides, who needs web developers. There's MySpace now!

Ahem.

Comment

My school stinks when it comes to tech, the only good tech teacher left because he didn't have a college degree, and now we're stuck with a teacher who has a college degree but is clueless when it comes to technology. Our tech coordinator on the other hand is pretty knowledgeable and i have been working with him for the last couple years because of our lack of tech courses.
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Finnsgirl
              I'm moving there and I'm a teacher but learning fast to do web animation. I wonder if there is freelance work to be had in this field locally. I know I can get work online (in other parts of the country), but can't find any hawaii companies online to speak of. Where are the hawaiian web designers/animators???
              One of our umpteen million competing telephone directories lists Kailuacreations.com and a Koa Interactive (808) 523-1554 under Web Page Designers. The Web site developers category lists Dreammasters (808) 521-4000 and Kailuacreations.com.

Naturally there are many many more, at ad agencies, graphic design companies, etc. You might be able to find opportunites by searching yellow pages categories here:

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/

or at the Hawaii Advertising Federation Web site:

www.hafspot.com

or at the American Institute of Graphic Design - Hawaii chapter:

http://www.honolulu.aiga.org/

There are probably other sources of info, but those were top of mind.

Good luck!
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Finn,
                Most of the people that have replied do not know anything about the profession of web design, let alone how it is here in Hawaii. I have worked in Honolulu as a web guy for over 6 years now and before that in the dot.com in San Fran. During the end of the dot.com I left and came here. There was a lot of people calling themselves web designers but they did crappy work and they overcharged clients. Today there is a small but tight group of agencies and freelance designers that are professional designers. I'm not talking about my brothers friends cousins that can do a site for $1000. The best part is if you are good at web, this place is wide open. I make six figures and have for a couple of years. I work for an agency but also do some freelance.

Best web people in Hawaii:
                giddymachine.com
                jonduarte.com
                commpac.com
                starrtech.com
                digitalmediums.com
                fireflyhawaii.com
                glvision.com
                These are the people who do the best work in Town:

if you need a job send me your resume and do not take any classes here for the field except maybe Pacific New Media and even then I would only take a class from someone who is not from Hawaii but just coming to teach here from the mainland.

You know the old say"those that can DO and those that can't TEACH" very true here on the rock.

aloha

Comment

hoales_rule
                  Keiki

hmmmm...
                  I'd say a very good way to ingratiate yerself here, esp. for the first post;
                  "Don't listen to anyone who lives here, only someone freshly direct from the mainland."

BTW; what is a "hoales"?
                  a type of small yardstick?

Comment

Originally posted by hoales_rule
                    Most of the people that have replied do not know anything about the profession of web design, let alone how it is here in Hawaii.
                    What?!? Why on earth would you possibly write such nonsense? How can you, who joined us here today, claim to know all about the skills and backgrounds of the rest of us?!?

If you need a job send me your resume
                    No no no no NO! So far, you're just a screen name, and your profile doesn't give any other clue as to who you really are. People should never ever send personal information to an anonymous person on the internet.
                    Judging from the numerous typos and misspellings in your post -- and even in your own screen name! -- I'm pretty sure you're not a world-class web designer.

I would only take a class from someone who is not from Hawaii but just coming to teach here from the mainland.
                    Do you say insulting things like that very often? Make lots of friends, do you?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Lets get something straight, I'm not a copy writer I have someone that does that for me. I'm a professional web designer and none of you are. My post was for Finn not the rest of you. Plus I'm not here to make friends or ingratiate myself, I read the threads and this was the only thing that pertained to me, so I posted.

As far as
                      "Don't listen to anyone who lives here, only someone freshly direct from the mainland."
                      when it comes to the web most local people do not know anything about it and I'm not fresh from the mainland.

"What?!? Why on earth would you possibly write such nonsense? How can you, who joined us here today, claim to know all about the skills and backgrounds of the rest of us?!?"

I was just telling the truth to Finn if you don't like it, then don't read it.

I'm not saying insulting things, I'm just being Honest about how it is here.
                      The teachers here for web are awful, they teach students the wrong way because they don't know how to do it right themselves. The classes from PNM that are instructed by people not from here are your best bet to get the right way of doing web.

Comment

I'm a professional web designer and none of you are.
                        And I say again: HOW do you know that we aren't? You've been a member here for a matter of minutes, and you're making a completely erroneous assumption.

My post was for Finn not the rest of you.
                        Then you should've sent Finn a private message. Obviously.

I'm not here to make friends or ingratiate myself
                        And see how well you've succeeded already?

I read the threads and this was the only thing that pertained to me, so I posted.
                        In the immortal words of Ron White: "Next time you have a thought... just let it go."

when it comes to the web most local people do not know anything about it
                        Okay, now I get it. You're joking! Your posts are meant for entertainment value only. Right?

and I'm not fresh from the mainland.
                        Yes, you wrote that you've been here for six years. Frankly, I'm surprised you've lasted here that long with your bad attitude.

I'm not saying insulting things, I'm just being Honest about how it is here.
                        Oh, you're saying extremely insulting things. And your version of how things are here is just that -- your version. Skewed, distorted and twisted though it may be.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Finn,
                          Most of the people that have replied do not know anything about the profession of web design, let alone how it is here in Hawaii. I have worked in Honolulu as a web guy for over 6 years now and before that in the dot.com in San Fran. During the end of the dot.com I left and came here. There was a lot of people calling themselves web designers but they did crappy work and they overcharged clients. Today there is a small but tight group of agencies and freelance designers that are professional designers. I'm not talking about my brothers friends cousins that can do a site for $1000. The best part is if you are good at web, this place is wide open. I make six figures and have for a couple of years. I work for an agency but also do some freelance.

Best web people in Hawaii:
                          giddymachine.com
                          jonduarte.com
                          commpac.com
                          starrtech.com
                          digitalmediums.com
                          fireflyhawaii.com
                          glvision.com
                          These are the people who do the best work in Town:

if you need a job send me your resume and do not take any classes here for the field except maybe Pacific New Media and even then I would only take a class from someone who is not from Hawaii but just coming to teach here from the mainland.

You know the old say"those that can DO and those that can't TEACH" very true here on the rock.

aloha
                          Aloha, I like be your friend. I'm Aunty Lynn. I believe you. I can't afford a real web designer...i have only secoind rate rate kine. second rate web masters too. dey dunno wat dey doing most of da time. yeah, right!

get off your high horse mister! dis is HT. we got professionals in this forum that will put you to shame if need be. SHAME! and you call yourself a top rated web designer? yep! full of KAKAS!

WHACK WHACKS!
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hoales_rule certainly came out of the gate swinging! And while not a way to win friends and influence people, I am familiar with a few of the names on his "best" list. They're Pele Award winners and do some really great work. And, yes, PNM has excellent classes.

My question to you, Hoales_rule, is...
                            Do you know for a fact that no one involved in any of the companies you listed above is an active member of this forum? Because, if they are, you've just insulted them by stating "I'm a professional web designer and none of you are.". It doesn't make any difference how long you've been lurking. You won't know the real identity of the majority of members. The state of Hawaii is a very small town. I'd guess you and I know a lot of the same people. Maybe even each other! Were you at the HHV last Saturday night?

Comment

the people that posted before me were not professional web people.
                              and yes I was at HHV pele awards.
                              I have no idea if anybody else in this thread is with any of the companies I have listed but I do know that the people that posted before me were not web people.

Comment

Working...
                              X