Aloha from Nashville TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Nashville TN

My husband and i found out last thursday that we would be moving to O'ahu in a month. We haven't been to Hawii and are very excited and a bit nervous.
    Chris will be working in Mililani at Time-Warner Cable. We are looking for an apartment to rent and that's proving to be difficult but my main concern is our dog. So far I know not to get there on a thursday or friday. she is due for her second round of rabies shots 30days before we arrive on O'ahu. will this mean she'll have to be quarantined for the last 60 days? will we be able to visit her? I'm so excited about everything else...but this worries me. she's a show dog....will this make a difference?

mahalo
    amanda

Re: Aloha from Nashville TN

Good luck in your move! A month is a very short window to prepare for a move from Tennessee to Hawaii -- a vast distance both in geography and in every other way as well!

You can read up on the quarantine requirements here. Being a show dog doesn't help with any exceptions, but it may mean a lot of the requirements -- vaccination, blood test, microchipping -- may already be covered by virtue of requiring more robust care anyway. The "second round" of shots only counts if the "first round" was more than three months before that, and from what I can tell, there's a mandatory 90 day period after that "second round," meaning that it does sound like your dog won't qualify for immediate or under-five-day release and require quarantine for 60 days.

You will be able to visit her, but it won't be a pleasant time for either you or your dog, unfortunately. Things have gotten much better in the past decade or so, but the real benefits only come when you have half a year or so to plan ahead.

As for finding a rental, sadly it's a tight market for everyone. Prices in Central Oahu, Mililani and Wahiawa are probably better than in town, but they're still high, and availability means waiting lists, non-refundable "application fees" (money out of your pocket even if you never even get to see the place), and -- most notably -- very limited options if you've got a pet. You might be able to pay your way into a place, with a big "pet deposit" and possibly a "pet adjustment" on top of the monthly rent, but it'll be a challenge. The time here you'll have without your dog might at least give you a little time to find a pet-friendly landlord.

It couldn't hurt to start searching now. Just know that you're competing with life-long, pet-free locals for apartments.

In addition to your dog, do you have any kids? Will you be working? Staying afloat in Hawaii isn't easy. The more things you have lined up before you get on that plane, the better.

And especially given the short timeframe you're grappling with, make sure you've socked away a few grand where you can't touch it as except a last-chance get-outta-Dodge fund. Hawaii can be a grand adventure, but if it all goes to hell, the only thing worse than that is being trapped here. You only need to see the recent stories of "working homeless" to know a few ounces of prevention is worth a ton of regret.

Comment

Welcome to HT. I spent some time in Nashville and really enjoyed it -- I found the people there friendlier than anywhere I've been outside Hawaii.

The dog community here is great (I hear), so maybe you can contact someone at the Hawaii Kennel Club for help finding dog-friendly landlords.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

my husband is going to be working for time warner oceanic cable in mililani.
        so we have a source of income. i will see if i can find work once i get there. but my income isn't necessary. it is a short amount of time so we're struggleling to get everything taken care of. as far as our dog is concerned, we may leave her here until her shots are up to date and then fly her to us. there's so much to do!!!
        can you tell me anything about mililian? or some areas that would be nice to live in?
        another thing....it's only a year contract so even if we hate it (i can't imagine) then we know we will be leaving soon!

thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          [...]As for finding a rental, sadly it's a tight market for everyone. Prices in Central Oahu, Mililani and Wahiawa are probably better than in town, but they're still high, and availability means waiting lists, non-refundable "application fees" (money out of your pocket even if you never even get to see the place), and -- most notably -- very limited options if you've got a pet.[...]
          Working in Mililani can expand one's rental seeking options to the North Shore (Waialua to Kahuku...altho' Kahuku would be more of a commute). This country area might have more pet friendly rentals. Dunno for sure...just a guess on my part.

Comment

Pz will tell you all about Mililani, I'm sure, but here's the opinion of someone who doesn't live there. It is a nice neighborhood. It's been sort of the model planned suburb on Oahu for a long time, which I don't consider a good thing. There are nice places to take nice walks, there are lots of trees everywhere, the streets are landscaped, the people are nice, and the shopping is decent. Even the food is good. I think Pz and I disagree on what a "nice" place to live is, though, and Mililani is exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid. You pretty much have to get in your car to do anything.

Honolulu has been lousy at planning nice, mixed-use communities where you can park your car once and run all of your errands, plus socialize with your neighbors. Kaimuki near Waialae Avenue and the new Kakaako and one section of Kailua are really the only places that approach this model (if you've been to Portland or Seattle, you know what I'm talking about).

Oops. I'm ranting. Didn't mean to do that.

I'd look in Mililani first if I were you, but there are some nice places in Wahiawa that should be dog-friendly, and since it's largely a military community, you might have an easier time finding a good rental.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              I think Pz and I disagree on what a "nice" place to live is, though, and Mililani is exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid.
              I know you'd like it if we disagreed, but we don't. Not entirely.

Hey, I went to Mililani High School, and after living in Waikiki and Makiki, I live there again now. I loved living in town, for all the reasons you mention. And Mililani is so meticulously planned and maintained, your inner anarchist will want to scream. But, hey, living in town is "urban living," and Mililani is definitely "suburban." Each has its draws and downsides.

If you're working in Mililani, living in Mililani makes a lot of sense. Hell, Mililani folks love their dogs, too -- we had one of the first "dog parks" where canines can roam free. It's clean, quiet, safe, full of families, packed with parks, decent shopping (from small stores to a WalMart), decent dining... and there is also, I'm pretty sure, internal mass transit (whereas it's no man's land for TheBus) of some sort.

The Oceanic headquarters is actually between Mililani and Wahiawa, so you could look there, too, as Tutusue and Scrivener note. It's definitely our "military town," again with the pluses and minuses you might expect. Probably cheaper rent than Mililani, that's for sure.

And yeah, there's the North Shore, even the Ewa side. Basically having a job that isn't along the urban core (Pearl City to Waikiki) gives you many more options -- or at least, different options -- than most residents have. The only thing is, as Scrivener notes, that owning a car is probably more important if you're living/working anywhere outside "the city."

Comment

I drove thru Mililani once.

didn't like it.

Thought;
                What da hellzissss?! Stepford Hawaii?!

Comment

I used to describe it as living in a Norman Rockwell painting. The big sign as you enter proclaims, "All-American City 1989" -- which explains a lot. A lot of satire of suburban life (i.e. The Truman Show) would apply. I used to joke that you'd get a letter from the "association" if the car in your garage is too dirty. Then I learned it's not a joke.

It's basically my hometown, but yeah, it can drive you batty. I briefly lived on the corner of Kuhio and Paoakalani in Waikiki, after all, and part of me misses that chaos. But now I'm also a domesticated dad who can see the appeal of a neighborhood with a park on every block, wide sidewalks, several recreation centers, shops, restaurants, movie theaters... kids and dogs everywhere, and your neighbors won't begrudge you for having either.

Mililani isn't the best neighborhood, nor is it the worst. It's certainly making no false claims -- you know what you're getting.

Comment

Well, if nothing else, the move from Nashville to Honolulu will provide an interesting "cross cultural" experience! I don't know if I'd move 5,000 miles for a temporary job, though, especially if I had never been to that new location before.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

well, we were leaving nashvegas anyway. i can't take the bible belt anymore. don't get me wrong...nothing against religion. just got to be too much. plus all the country music. you only live once right? why not move to hawaii! we aren't really yuppie kind of people (sounds like that's how mililani is) we're more hippy-ish. so i'm thinking the north shore? that's what i've heard anyway. thanks for all your input, hope to hear more!

Comment

Hmmm. Your income won't be necessary? Must be your husband is in management. I hope your husband is in upper management or has been designated as a highly paid key employee. Last we heard, some Mililani homeowners are getting $2,000 per month for a single family dwelling. Townhouses a little less, but not by much, if you can find one. Wahiawa, a little lower, again, if you can find a place. You don't want to rent an apartment in Wahiawa. Trust me on that one.

Can't really comment on the North Shore, but I doubt it'll be any lower. Beachfront or near the beach brings primo rent.

My estimates could be off and I hope so. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by aphoto
                          well, we were leaving nashvegas anyway. i can't take the bible belt anymore. don't get me wrong...nothing against religion. just got to be too much. plus all the country music. you only live once right? why not move to hawaii! we aren't really yuppie kind of people (sounds like that's how mililani is) we're more hippy-ish. so i'm thinking the north shore? that's what i've heard anyway. thanks for all your input, hope to hear more!
                          Hmmm..."hippy-ish"? That could be interesting. Not many hippies left in Hawai'i, unless you're a surfer type and live on the North Coast. "Hip-ish" is what you need to strive for. Good luck in Hawai'i. May the sun shine on your adventure!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

You don't want to rent an apartment in Wahiawa. Trust me on that one.
                            10-4 on that. I used to live on Ohai St., aka "Drug Lane". Rough, tough area. Thieves are brazen. I've seen them get caught breaking and entering by women screaming their heads off. They don't run. They just calmly walk away. They know where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by aphoto
                              [...]we aren't really yuppie kind of people (sounds like that's how mililani is) we're more hippy-ish. so i'm thinking the north shore? that's what i've heard anyway. thanks for all your input, hope to hear more!
                              Aha! Hippy-ish! That's an important clue! My 'hippy-ish' friends prefer the north shore. You might really like the little shops in Haleiwa town. To me, Mililani is just too 'mainland'...Anywhere, USA. Not much of a Hawaii experience like the north shore would be. Since this is a short term assignment...go for the Hawaii experience! IMNSHO, that is!

Comment

Working...
                              X