Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much oil do you eat with your breakfast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much oil do you eat with your breakfast?

Here's a fascinating way of thinking about how much fossil fuel we actually consume as we nourish our bodies. The amount is pretty staggering...
    "... My breakfast fuels me up with about 400 calories, and it satisfies me. So, for just over a buck and half an hour spent reading the morning paper in my own kitchen, I'm energized for the next few hours. But before I put spoon to cereal, what if I consider this bowl of oatmeal porridge (to which I've just added a little butter, milk, and a shake of salt) from a different perspective. Say, a Saudi Arabian one.

Then, what you'd be likely to see -- what's really there, just hidden from our view (not to say our taste buds) -- is about four ounces of crude oil. Throw in those luscious red raspberries and that cup of java (another three ounces of crude), and don't forget those modest additions of butter, milk, and salt (another ounce), and you've got a tiny bit of the Middle East right here in my kitchen...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: How much oil do you eat with your breakfast?

Miulang, just eat your breakfast. You're thinking way too much.<LOL>

Here's what I think about.
    Is my scrambled eggs slimy or cooked well. I hope it's not slimy. I hates slimy eggs.
    How many pieces of bacon do I have?
    How many link sausage do I have?
    I ask these because I usually have to share them with my daughter.
    How much cold rice get leftover from last night?
    Is my oatmeal overcooked? Did I put too much sugar? Should I have cooked the other oatmeal?
    The label said "Sunshine Red Meat Papaya". Dis one bettah be red and sweet. Da las one was yallow and no mo taste.

My only thought for fuel.
    "Eh, Honey. Da van stay down half tank. Bettah top'um off wen pau work, yeah?" While I sip my deliciously fresh brewed French roast coffee.

or: "Oh wow. Dis da fith week and mah truck still get half tank gas." While I sqeeze a bit of lemon juice on my very sweet Sunshine Red Meat Papaya.

Comment

Wow. Then breakfast consumes the least amount of oil for me. Usually I eat out for lunch and dinner, and lately I've been eating either vending machine food, or basic eating out. Imagine the amount of oil it takes to product the energy to power the vending machines; and the lighting, stoves, cash register, drink machine, fryers, exhaust power, etc, and it all adds up. Not to mention the gas it takes to get me from point A and B for said meals.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

OMG thinking tha hard hurts my head!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
          Yeah. That's why I don't think like that.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Miulang, just eat your breakfast. You're thinking way too much.<LOL>
            Yeah, just drink the Kool-aid, Miulang!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
              when my stdents say that, I tell them it's growing pains

Comment

Working...
              X