Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving in June 2006 to Honolulu

Hey,

My husband and I are moving to Honolulu in June. We are looking for a good way to find apartments. Since there are two of us we figure that roommates are out of the question. Can anyone suggest any good apartment complexes that the locals would move into or how to find apartments in Honolulu?

I would also like to know what everyone's favorite Island to live on is and why?

Thanks...(Hope to get a picture of my husband and I up soon)...

Re: Moving in June 2006 to Honolulu

I really like downtown Honolulu since I grew up there. Tried other places, and they are great places to visit, but I gone stur crazy after a while since I like the action of downtown Honolulu. As for apartment complexes, how much are you willing to pay for rent ... this is to rent ... right ... not to buy??? Just checking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gennowa
      Hey,

My husband and I are moving to Honolulu in June. We are looking for a good way to find apartments. Since there are two of us we figure that roommates are out of the question. Can anyone suggest any good apartment complexes that the locals would move into or how to find apartments in Honolulu?

I would also like to know what everyone's favorite Island to live on is and why?

Welcome to HT, Gennowa.

There's lots of great info here. Do an advanced search on the key word "moving".

Unfortunately Hawaii (I can speak for Oahu) has a very tight, very expensive rental market right now. This subject will also be covered in all the threads involving "moving".

Best of luck to you.

Comment

We are going to be renting. Honestly, the cheaper the better since we won't have jobs when we move but we don't need a lot of space either. We currently live in a place that is only 450 square feet so we could move to a studio and be pretty comfortable.

Comment

We are going to be renting. Honestly, the cheaper the better since we won't have jobs when we move but we don't need a lot of space either. We currently live in a place that is only 450 square feet so we could move to a studio and be pretty comfortable.
          What rent rate range qualifies as "cheaper" for you? Playing devil's advocate...landlords are charging non-refundable application fees because, well, they can! The market's that tight. My guess is it will be difficult to find a place without a local job showing on the application. If you have available funds you might think about offering <fill in the number> months of rent *in advance*...the higher the number, the better. I hope you don't have an animal. That's also covered in other threads. Seriously, without a job it will be difficult to determine where you should live. At this point in time in Hawaii's economy it's really best to have all of your ducks in a row before making the leap across the Pacific pond.
          Last edited by tutusue; April 2, 2006, 06:59 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

I'm sorry if this comes across as rude - but what in the world are you thinking to move here to Hawaii without having a job

There are not that many jobs available here & inexpensive housing is almost non-existent.

Sorry - I don't mean to be discouraging, but this is not "paradise" where you can just lie on the beach everyday. Unless you are independently wealthy, or have (probably) double what you may think is necessary as a financial cushion, you may find yourselves in a big mess.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I thought businesses are scrambling for workers all over the state (or maybe just Honolulu). There was an article in Pacific Business News last week about construction companies scrambling for workers. Also companies like Jamba Juice are offering bonuses and other incentives for manager positions as long as they remain with the company for 3 years (Jamba Juice is currently offering $10,000 for manager positions, which is pretty crazy). Although we all work more than one job, it seems like companies are always looking for employees, especially for technical positions since most go the mainland for jobs. I'm always seeing "Help Wanted" signs everywhere I go in Honolulu.
              Arturo

Comment

I think there are lots of jobs available but few that pay a livable wage.

Comment

ok - so maybe I should have asked what kind of work they would be looking for. My bad.............. Most of the places that I see with "Help Wanted" signs up are for minimum wage, non-skilled positions.

When I moved back to Honolulu in 1996, in the middle of the economic depressions, I didn't have a job either. What I did have though, was family, friends and many connections. Plus, a lot of $$$ in the bank - enough to find an apartment & hold out for a good job. Times have changed since then & we all know that. If I was thinking of coming back now - I might hesitate a bit, even with the same advantages I had in 1996. I'm considered a "skilled" worker but even those jobs are scarce - unless, as you mention, one is a Tech worker or skilled construction worker.

Maybe Gennowa & her husband fit into these categories? Even so, just packing up & moving to Hawaii is not always a wise choice.

So, when I hear someone saying they are moving here, with no jobs - I'm going to question them & hopefully open their eyes to some reality. Reality is - it's not like the 10 day vacation you took & really loved the weather & the people. or that TV show or movie you saw that made things look so good!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for the concern, I do have interviews lined up and we are being realistic about how much savings we have. We would be willing to pay three to six months worth of rent ahead of time. We have been looking into this for two years and have finally decided to take a leap of faith and figured that we would be able live about 6 months off of our savings.

I am really just looking for places where I can find apartments...any suggestions for that?

Comment

I'm glad to know that you are planning ahead & wish you the best of luck in finding work, an apartment and a new life.

As for where to live, Makiki is a very central area to live in Honolulu. It's certainly not the cheapest but it is convenient to all areas, major shopping and is considered pretty safe. Good public transportation also. The best way to find an apartment is to drive around & look for vacancy signs. The ads in the newspaper are great but the fight to get the apt. is very tough. I know - I've been looking for quite a while. I love where I live now but need to find an apt. that is ground level or in a bldg. with an elevator.

Again, good luck to you.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks anapuni, anyone else have suggestions or places that they live?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          I think there are lots of jobs available but few that pay a livable wage.
                          You got it! The cost of living here is just purely amazing!!! Even with me as a kama'aina, me can't even afford a decent place to live! Aya!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                            You got it! The cost of living here is just purely amazing!!! Even with me as a kama'aina, me can't even afford a decent place to live! Aya!
                            As you know, the cost of living doesn't discriminate between kama`aina and non-kama`aina. The majority of the employed homeless living in tents along the Waianae Coast beaches are local folks...kama`aina for generations. Hawaii is their land; their home. There's something very, very wrong with this picture.

Comment

Hey,

If you intend to rent, how about renting a condominium ? Ive found a nice one to rent when Im in hawaii in june too.. just for vacation though. Go to www.rentalo.com and do a search.. ull need to register but its totally free to look in the website, nothing to pay. Let me know how it goes. some condos are being rented for like 2000 or 3000$ a month.. not sure if thats ok with you or too much, etc...

let us know
                              http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
                              http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
                              If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Working...
                              X