The Voyage to Kure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Voyage to Kure

A must see! ...airs Wednesday and April 12 at 8p on local PBS affiliate KHET.

This is a 2 part series on the spectacular Northwestern Hawaiian Islands...

"Paul Atkins knew the sharks were out there. They were just a little camera shy.

As director of photography for Jean-Michel Cousteau's 2003 expedition to the Northwest Hawaiian Islands, Atkins had set up watery shop along a reef midway through the chain and was directing a team of divers trying to capture the dynamic life below the water line..."

Paul is a magnificent cinematographer and a resident of Hawaii. Check out his montage reel. Ah heck, check out all of his reels while your at it! Some kinda gorgeous footage, I tell ya!

Re: The Voyage to Kure

Originally posted by tutusue
    A must see! ...airs Wednesday and April 12 at 8p on local PBS affiliate KHET. (...) Some kinda gorgeous footage, I tell ya!
    I flipped to KHET every time that "Lost" went to commercial ( ) and agree that the footage was gorgeous, as I expect with anything that Jean-Michel is involved with. Wish I'd taped it.
    Is April 12 a rerun or is it Part Two? And do you know if it's going to run again?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      I flipped to KHET every time that "Lost" went to commercial ( ) and agree that the footage was gorgeous, as I expect with anything that Jean-Michel is involved with. Wish I'd taped it.
      Is April 12 a rerun or is it Part Two? And do you know if it's going to run again?
      Yep! Anything Cousteau related is interesting and visually beautiful. April 12 is part 2. I missed the first 15 minutes 'cuz of freeway traffic but did manage to tape the remainder of the show. I noticed PBS is already making it available on VHS and DVD so, possibly, a rerun isn't in the future but I'll check for you.

Comment

I just heard that my hunch is probably right. With the availability of the DVD it sounds like there isn't a rerun in the future.

The project was shot in HD so, I was told, the DVD is spectacular, esp. in comparison to how it appeared when broadcast in SD on KHET. But, the untechie tutu that I am, I don't know whether one has to have an HD tv set to fully experience the beauty of the DVD. Even in SD, it was beautiful.

Comment

You need to shoot in HD.
          with an HD camera of course,

THEN, you must edit on an HD NL system/program.

THEN... you must employ High Definition Authoring; either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray

THEN you must view on an HD screen.

Oddawise....
          IF... one of those ten attributes are missing, it is all for naught.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            You need to shoot in HD.
            with an HD camera of course,

THEN, you must edit on an HD NL system/program.

THEN... you must employ High Definition Authoring; either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray

THEN you must view on an HD screen.

Oddawise....
            IF... one of those ten attributes are missing, it is all for naught.
            Makes sense to me...I think! I asked "the source", who I'd guess has all the appropriate HD equipment for viewing...unlike moi. The entire project was HD 'cept the broadcast. Regardless, it still looked great in SD on my $125. tv set! It musta been spectacular to see it in HD.

Comment

Great news! According to today's newspaper, Part 1 will be re-broadcast this coming Sunday night (April 9) at 6pm.
              Part 2 will air Wednesday at 8pm and again on Sunday, April 16, at 6pm.

Comment

Great news! According to today's newspaper, Part 1 will be re-broadcast this coming Sunday night (April 9) at 6pm.
                Part 2 will air Wednesday at 8pm and again on Sunday, April 16, at 6pm.
                YAY! Thanks for that, LN.

And more great news...
                Two days ago there was a screening of the show at the White House hosted by President and Mrs. Bush. The result? "...the President announced that he was supporting the designation of the Northwest Hawaiian Islands as the 14th U.S. Marine Sanctuary.".

Comment

Did anybody see Part 2 last night (or when it first aired last Wednesday)?
                  It was terrific.

Comment

Did anybody see Part 2 last night (or when it first aired last Wednesday)?
                    It was terrific.
                    I got home in time to see the last half and what I saw really was terrific. I'll buy the DVD to help support PBS. Plus it's fun seeing Paul's mug on camera for a change! Here's another mug shot of Paul and a few of his friends (left side, 6th photo down)!

Comment

Working...
                    X