PDA

View Full Version : Who have you met in person from HT?

lavagal
April 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Today I got to meet Tutuesue. And let me tell you, that gal should be ashamed of herself for putting up that apalachian-backwoods-hillbilly avatar. She's quite a pretty woman with the warmest eyes! She endured meeting my girls, too. Little kids can be a bit of a test when meeting grownups.

Other people I have met on HT: Pzarquon, Dick, Erika Engel, Buzz1941. People I know but never met: Zztype, 1stWahine, MadAzza. People I think I know: Sin, Lika Nui, Johnny Yen. People I don't think I've ever met but since we live in the same neighborhood probably have stood in the same line at Foodland, Costco, Safeway, Starbucks or City Mill out here in Hawaii Kai: Kimo55.

Tutusue, it was great to meet you. I hope you the remainder of your day went well!

pzarquon
April 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I've met many wonderful HTers. I dare not inventory them, as my faulty memory will undoubtedly lead to an unintentional slight. However, I also know I've not met nearly enough of you. So hopefully if anyone else wants to bump up their HT "met in person" count, we'll see you on Sunday (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=7990). :p

damontucker
April 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I've met many wonderful HTers. I dare not inventory them, as my faulty memory will undoubtedly lead to an unintentional slight. However, I also know I've not met nearly enough of you. So hopefully if anyone else wants to bump up their HT "met in person" count, we'll see you on Sunday (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=7990). :p
I used to work for you PZ at UHH ;) So I guess I'll put that up there...

However, I know too many of you out there know my Ohana or have heard of
them in one way or another.

So, I choose to plead the 5th on this one.

I can think of at least 7 people on here that I've met. (to at least answer the question)

tutusue
April 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
[...]Tutusue, it was great to meet you. I hope you the remainder of your day went well!
Ditto to you, Lavagal! It's always fun to put a face with a name. And those 2 girls are adorable.

1stwahine
April 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Hee Hee Hee K-den > P.Z., Kilinahe, zztype, Scrivener, AbsoutChaos, Helen, Serenity, MadAzza, Adrian, alohacandy, anapuni808, cezanne, CranBeree, dick, doc1456, jdub, Lisheous, shaveice, TurquoiseDuck, and Surfingfarmboy.

Tomarrow night, I finally meet Tita Lika & hubby. Also, D'Alana! :D

Hoping to meet more of you on Saturday!
I promise to take a double dose of my "Lithium!" :p

Auntie Lynn ;)

BTW: I've met ukipila others from my Blog! ;)
And I've never met one "nut" from any of my internet connections!
...I wonda why? hahahaha cause I da pUpUle one - das why! :eek:

Menehune Man
April 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I don't know half of you as well as I should like,
and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
(Bilbo Baggins )

Actually I haven't had the priviledge as of yet to knowingly meet any of you, though I bet there may be some surprises! Oh, it's you?! Kind of stuff. See ya on the 9th.

AbsolutChaos
April 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I've met several HT'ers at last year's picnic. I've also met 1stwahine at other events.

Looking forward to the picnic Sun!

Leo Lakio
April 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Lurkah, for sure.

Miulang, I think (Didn't we meet? At one of the ki ho`alu shows last summer? Before I was on HT.)

Ex-HT'er DCFanAddicts/DannyCouchFanAddicts, too. (I'm sure some of you remember Lea...before she got mad and left the toasty kitchen.) FWIW, she's not a bad person - her enthusiasm just gets out ahead of her sometimes, but her love of Hawaiian music is sincere.

lurkah
April 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Miulang, I think (Didn't we meet? At one of the ki ho`alu shows last summer? Before I was on HT.)

Miulang was among our group at that ki ho'alu concert venue in Kalama, WA (which you emceed) where we first met and talked story with you in the auditorium before and during the concert. HTer Mokihana was also there with us.

Mokihana
April 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Lurkah, Miulang, Izzie, Leo

Leo Lakio
April 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Lurkah, Miulang, Izzie, Leo
Please forgive me, Mokihana & Miulang! (I didn't know HT last August - but next time we meet, prepare for a greeting full of aloha!)

Altivec
July 31st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Only person on HT that I know personally is Craig.

lavagal
July 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Today I got to meet Tutuesue. And let me tell you, that gal should be ashamed of herself for putting up that apalachian-backwoods-hillbilly avatar. She's quite a pretty woman with the warmest eyes! She endured meeting my girls, too. Little kids can be a bit of a test when meeting grownups.

Other people I have met on HT: Pzarquon, Dick, Erika Engel, Buzz1941. People I know but never met: Zztype, 1stWahine, MadAzza. People I think I know: Sin, Lika Nui, Johnny Yen. People I don't think I've ever met but since we live in the same neighborhood probably have stood in the same line at Foodland, Costco, Safeway, Starbucks or City Mill out here in Hawaii Kai: Kimo55.

Tutusue, it was great to meet you. I hope you the remainder of your day went well!

Wow. Did I, an editor and writer, write that? Guess even the best of us make boo boos!

tutusue
July 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Wow. Did I, an editor and writer, write that? Guess even the best of us make boo boos!
No worries! I caught your drift! :D

damontucker
July 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM
who da heck is tutuEsue?

we get sumone knew on hear?

j/k :D

Leo Lakio
July 31st, 2006, 07:14 PM
who da heck is tutuEsue?Last name "Ainokea"?

tutusue
July 31st, 2006, 07:22 PM
who da heck is tutuEsue?[...]
Same person you refer to as 'tutue'! :p

lavagal
July 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM
oh the guys like to throw stones from glass houses!

@;)

Leo Lakio
August 2nd, 2006, 07:06 AM
Slight variation on "met in person," but in what I've been told is typical for Hawai`i (quickly figuring out who you know in common, usually about two degrees of separation rather than six), all within about a 24-hour period, I learned:

> one of my radio co-hosts in Seattle, also a beloved kumu hula in this area, is related by marriage to manoasurfer123;
> 1stwahine's niece is a woman I've met, and who has provided much kokua to our hula halau;
> there's a slim chance that I saw MadAzza's band perform live about twenty years ago;
> and koloagirl's kumu hula is someone who came to teach as a special guest at our halau a couple years back, and who I've performed on stage with.

Bard
August 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
That's so cool. Next time there's a gathering of HT'ers in the PNW I'd love to show up.

Leo Lakio
August 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
That's so cool. Next time there's a gathering of HT'ers in the PNW I'd love to show up.While we've never tried to do any kind of "official" gathering, it looks like there may be a handful of us at the Kalama Days celebration in Kalama (WA) on August 19, especially at the concert in the park that night, featuring Bill Tapia, Mihana, Brittni Paiva, and Hema Pa`a (Chris Kamaka & Baba Alimoot.) You can PM me, if you'd like additional info.

Pua'i Mana'o
August 2nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Nobody!

But, I know where to find at least one HTer and that I am related to at least one other HTer! I also was in college at the same time as at least four other HTers, and I have probably met several others due to work stuff, but damned if I can remember any of their faces. :D

tutusue
August 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Let's see...I didn't know who HT's Lurkah was for several months, 'til he PM'd me! We met at a birthday party in the 90s...when he had another screen name!

I met Kimo online about 10 years ago when he lived in California. He had an author friend who, thru Kimo, I was able to help my friend, a bookstore manager, arrange an autograph session!

Creative1 and I met at a celebration of life for a mutual friend a couple of years ago...and learned that his mom and my dad worked together at Looney Tunes during the late 30s. But that's already documented on HT, somewhere!!!

Then, there's winp and Keanu; both recent "Ahas". And, both work related. I've known PZ and Kilinahe for years, pre-babies, and used to dance with PZ's dad at the Kahala Hilton's Maile Lounge! Oh, those were the good ol' days! And, PZ, Sr. wasn't married at the time so...no rumors, 'kay?! :D Albert and I go way back to the ACH Lynch Mob/Gordon Biersch days! Mid 90s, iirc. ;) Helen, too! I've even witnessed a few very cool rocket launches! There are also some ex-SCHers here <wave!>; some of us going back to the first day of the newsgroup!

Then there's the HT picnic where it's always fun to put a face with a screen name AND a real name. Ditto for the HT lunches altho' I've only been able to attend one. And, I've bumped into MadAzza around town. Not difficult to do 'cuz we work 2 blocks apart!

Sorry if I've forgotten anyone. If I did I'll blame it on...ummm...what should I blame it on this time? Age! That's it!

Speaking of work...I'd best batten down the hatches in preparation for 35 kidlets due in this afternoon! :eek:

kimo55
August 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
I go way back to the ACH Lynch Mob/Gordon Biersch days! Mid 90s,
what was all that brouhaha when they were banned from GB back then?

pzarquon
August 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
That reminds me... I ran into Albert (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?userid=9) the Panther downtown yesterday. It's been a while since we've heard from him here. And since I've been able to spend any time with him.

He said he was downtown for lunch. First thing he did was pat me on the stomach and say, "Well, you'vecertainly been eating something!" That guy...

adrian
August 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Auntie Lynn and Scrivner are the only two I've so far met.

damontucker
August 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
"Well, you'vecertainly been eating something!" That guy...

You get 3 kids... that's three extra plates to finish up when they no eat their food...!

damontucker
August 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Madazza and I lived in the same neighborhood in the mainland at the same time, Good old Fairhaven!!! (I just found this out :eek: )
I didn't know her, She's a few years older than me, and was much cooler than I ever was back then as she rocked at a tavern that was known for up and coming bands while I was still learning how to type! :(

Leo Lakio
August 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Madazza and I lived in the same neighborhood in the mainland at the same time, Good old Fairhaven!!! (I just found this out :eek: )Fairhaven, eh? When is the last time either of you has been back to visit? It's still about the only place in Bellingham to be, with one of the best bookstore/cafe combinations around. From Seattle, I can take the train to B'ham, walk a few blocks up from the station to Fairhaven, and spend the weekend - no need to drive.

damontucker
August 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Left in 93... will be back this summer for my 20th reunion!

I have heard it has changed big time since I have left... but I'm still looking forward to going back.

(will be flying into Seattle with the ohana... maybe we can meet up for a few Leo!)

cezanne
August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I met Auntie Lynn. :)

Is there another HT get together in the making? Looks like it was fun and something I missed out on.

Leo Lakio
August 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Can add Bard & Olivia to my list now - thanks for coming to Kalama Days!

helen
August 22nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
what was all that brouhaha when they were banned from GB back then?
Banned? This is news to me. I do remember that the group had given the manager of the place a proclamation about the ACH Lynch Mob. Was even framed on the wall for some time. After about a few months it was taken down.

As far as met in person due to HawaiiThreads that would include 1stwahine, AbsolutChaos, Serenity, speedtek and cezanne.

Anybody else I do know here on HawaiiThreads that I met was from during the times of alt.culture.hawaii, soc.culture.hawaii or HawaiiStories as well as from work.

Bard
August 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Can add Bard & Olivia to my list now - thanks for coming to Kalama Days!

Yes, nice to meet both of you!

anapuni808
August 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I met Auntie Lynn. :)

Is there another HT get together in the making? Looks like it was fun and something I missed out on.

There was some talk of some folks getting together on Sept. 2nd at Duke's in Waikiki - Auntie Lynn was the one who posted info but haven't heard if anyone is going to follow through on it.

1stwahine
August 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cran suppose to make reservations? :confused: I'm still interested in going. Anybody else...lets start taking a head count. :)

Auntie Lynn

pzarquon
August 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
You can revive the earlier event planning thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=9727), or start a new one to give it a clean slate. Personally, I think it should still be named after Manoa, for the hell of it.

As for HT members I've met, still too many to remember, but always never enough. I think we may also be overdue for a spontaneous lunch gathering (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=2657).

damontucker
August 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
arg!!!!!!!!

I knew there was a reason behind Manoas get together getting revived :eek:

As far as whom I have met... well I can count up to at least 15 - 20!

scrivener
August 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I could have sworn there was a more recently active thread about chance encounters with HTers, but I can't find it so I guess I'm resurrecting this one. I finally got to meet the elusive Shave Ice Saturday afternoon. I'd heard from a friend about Jung Store (on King, across McCully Zippy's) for shave ice (I'm not making this up!) and I got to jonesing so badly for shave ice that I had to give it a go (someone in my Twitterstream said that the line at Shimazu Store was long).

I ordered a large strawberry shave ice in a cup, took a seat at one of two tables, and tried to ignore the small group that came in after me. Happily, the gentleman in the group didn't ignore me: he introduced himself to me, recognizing me from my avatar. Not the one you're seeing right now, obviously.

It was so cool to chat with Shave Ice while he and I slurped our respective shave ices. Thanks for saying hi! Sorry I left so abruptly. I had a dinner to get to and I was a little embarrassed that I hadn't done much to make myself presentable BEFORE running out to Jung's. :)

helen
August 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I could have sworn there was a more recently active thread about chance encounters with HTers, but I can't find it so I guess I'm resurrecting this one.

Do you mean this thread titled Unplanned meetings of HT'ers (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=16946)?

scrivener
August 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yep. That would be the one. :)

Barry
August 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
It was my priviledge and pleasure to meet Kaonohi, his lovely wife and their son when they came over to England. What superb ambassadors for Hawai'i they are.

shaveice
August 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
oh no, scrivener; the pleasure and honor was all mine! if that store had had cleaner floors (!), i would have fallen to the floor and wailed, "i'm not worthy! i'm not worthy!" ha! ha! :D

hope to see you around town again!

anapuni808
August 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Planned meetings: Pzarquon, Kilinahe, JPescador, Auntie Pupule (and Antonio), PK, TutuSue, Leo Lakio (and AF), Helen, Scrivener, JDub, Palama Kid, D'Alani, Cran & DiverDown, Soos and her DH, and another whose name shall not be mentioned.

and some I'm getting to know on FaceBook.

Unplanned: Pupule Lucie

and it's been a great pleasure to meet all of you! :D

leashlaws
August 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I met Ryan with GlossyP last year at Poke Stop in Waipahu.:) Had a nice lunch or was it the year before? Was when we thought Bourdain was stopping there
and Elmer wanted people there.

Oh, and "met" Anapuni808 and Tutusue on FB :-)

turtlegirl
August 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
ummmmm...Sophielynnette, Auntie & PK, Cyleet & DH, Surlygirly & DH, Jim75, Beau, Seeking Penance, DD808 & lovely Cranberee, LikaNui, Tutusue, AbsoluteChaos, Pzarquon, Helen, ummm...

...and I apologize sincerely if I forgot to list anyone, as it was so nice to meet all of you. :)

surlygirly
August 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Only Turtlegirl. But that's b/c the stupid storm on Dec. 11 last year postponed the get-together and it was rescheduled for after I moved. :(

But I think TG and I had enough fun for 6 or 7 people!

Beau
August 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hmm...Auntie Lynn and I are good friends, and I've met Sophielynnette, Cyleet, Pzarquon and his family, Helen, Seeking Penance, turtlegirl and her SO, DD808 and Cranberree, Tutusue, AbsoluteChaos and her SO, scrivener, Kalihiboy and his family, and last Monday I met Menehune Man.

Oh, I may have seen LikaNui at the Crouching Lion's aniversary party without knowing it.:D

Menehune Man
August 26th, 2009, 09:00 PM
"and last Monday I met Menehune Man"

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise Beau! :D

Kungpao
September 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
:( No one :(

I want to meet so many of you! After all the stories we all share on here, you guys are like relatives that live far away to me :D

leashlaws
September 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
"and last Monday I met Menehune Man"

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise Beau! :D

I knew you a loonnnngggggggg time ago! Nice to see you on here!:)

Kaonohi
September 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
So far I've met Barry and LikaNui.

However, I'll bet I've met some others of you - some of you seem SOOO familiar!

anapuni808
September 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Just wait for the Xmas gathering - that's where a few of us will get to meet "face to face". Unless it gets cancelled again due to a storm, as it did last year!

surlygirly
September 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I'd so much rather come to this than my scary family Christmas! :eek:

Barry
September 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'd so much rather come to this than my scary family Christmas! :eek:

Put your Pennies in a jar then come over and stay with me. I can cook and you would like my lot. Just the fair is all you need. This is my soil and so pay for nowt.

surlygirly
September 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Put your Pennies in a jar then come over and stay with me. I can cook and you would like my lot. Just the fair is all you need. This is my soil and so pay for nowt.

Aww! Do you do Yorkshire Pudding? I counted all the money in our pineapple last week...is $47.50 enough to get there??

Walkoff Balk
July 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I think I saw 1stwahine(as seen on a cover of Midweek) on the bus today. She got on the bus at the state capital bus stop. She was talking to a lady sitting next to her about the civil union bill. I was going to introduce myself, but I wrote a few posts that got her upset. I didn't want her to give me some whack whacks, so I dig out. I was the guy who walks with a metal crutch.

timkona
July 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I was at a Christmas Party one year. Met Auntie Pupule, and the guy that runs it, and a ton of others. Too many to ever remember them all by name. I think I sat next to TutuSue.

Prolly around 2006 or 07 at La Mariana. Good Times.

1stwahine
July 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I think I saw 1stwahine(as seen on a cover of Midweek) on the bus today. She got on the bus at the state capital bus stop. She was talking to a lady sitting next to her about the civil union bill. I was going to introduce myself, but I wrote a few posts that got her upset. I didn't want her to give me some whack whacks, so I dig out. I was the guy who walks with a metal crutch.

Ha ha ha!! I saw you!! I worked in Security. I always OBSERVE those around me and beyond. ;) I would have given you a honi honi. Next time, we get off the bus and walau'au. Ok?

matapule
July 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I would have given you a honi honi.

I could use a honi honi right about now.

tutusue
July 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I was at a Christmas Party one year. Met Auntie Pupule, and the guy that runs it, and a ton of others. Too many to ever remember them all by name. I think I sat next to TutuSue.

Prolly around 2006 or 07 at La Mariana. Good Times.
Yep...you remember correctly! And you brought that adorable daughter of yours. I think she was 5 at the time. Was that the year that Tikiyaki and his girlfriend (now wife) and her daughter also attended?

Awwww...what's wrong?

1stwahine
July 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Love you plenny Matapule!!

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22/Pamela-Silfide/47990dccd55234236e2981f.gif

Auntie Lynn

acousticlady
July 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I have had the honor and pleasure of having dinner with Ryan and his wonderful family!

Walkoff Balk
July 7th, 2010, 09:10 PM
;) I would have given you a honi honi. Next time, we get off the bus and walau'au. Ok?

I'm shy in person and unlike the smartass Walkoff Balk persona on the board.

oceanpacific
July 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Several years ago, 1st Wahine, her squeeze, and I had lunch at Craig's home on the Big Island. That was an afternoon well-spent.

I also met a good portion of the HT mob at the Magic Island gathering.

JAvendan
July 8th, 2010, 05:59 AM
my ohana and i met auntie lynn for a chinatown tour.

* just looked at our email exchange. that was in 2006!!!

and then last year... she was working security at the IMP.

i felt safe - lol.

aloha, auntie.

joel

1stwahine
July 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'm shy in person and unlike the smartass Walkoff Balk persona on the board.

You? No way. Eveybody has their opinions and personalities, I love you all the same. That's what makes HT SPECIAL. We're an Ohana. :D

Several years ago, 1st Wahine, her squeeze, and I had lunch at Craig's home on the Big Island. That was an afternoon well-spent.

I remember it well. Greal company, onolicious kaukau!

my ohana and i met auntie lynn for a chinatown tour.

* just looked at our email exchange. that was in 2006!!!

and then last year... she was working security at the IMP.

The girls came so big! :)

Over the years, I've met so many members. I've gone to the airport to greet two from England and Australia. That was FuN! And of course, one from Canada who visited in 2006. She came back in 2008 and stayed with me for two weeks. The members come and go but Love and ALOHA are the same. I thank Ryan for keeping HT here for us all. And Helen for being a fabulous moderator.

shaveice
August 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM
old thread but after so many years, i finally had an easy opportunity to say hello to ryan at a bon dance this evening. have seen him about on other occasions but he seemed busy and i didn't wanna interrupt him. don't know how he manages to do all that he does and with three kids!