Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Lots and Parking Structures: Best and Worst!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Lots and Parking Structures: Best and Worst!

I had a few errands to run this morning, resulting in my having to deal with parking at Ala Moana Center and at Ward Centre. Man, that Ward Centre parking just sucks to pieces.

So where would you say the parking (I mean the actual parking arrangement, not necessarily the availability of stalls) is worst?

One that leaps immediately to mind, aside from Ward Centre, is Pearl Kai (stalls the size of phone booths).

I appreciate the parking lot at Costco in Iwilei. Lots of parking, good-sized stalls, almost never a hassle if parking close to the entrance is not a high priority.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Parking Lots and Parking Structures: Best and Worst!

The Hawaiian Regent Hotel's parking lot is across the street from the hotel. After you enter the garage, there's a steep ramp up a ways to where you grab your ticket. Then it goes up, up, up and around and around these tight corners. You have to go up about nineteen floors to get past all the valet and "handicapped" (aka "I scammed my doctor") parking. I drive a Miata, and I was nervous going around those tight corners! Of course, there's always some moron driving an unnecessary SUV in my lane coming the other way.

(Yes, I know some handicapped placards are legit. Many are not, or they are being used by able-bodied scum who "borrowed" them from their parents. But that's another thread.)

Comment

I agree... Ward is crazy right now. I try to avoid it at all costs, or, park on-street and pay the meter and walk a few blocks. I wonder if they should have created more parking before starting construction on the new building? Dunno... but I don't go there anywhere nearly as often as I used to.

I went to Ala Moana today, and parked on the 2nd deck back by Sears. Lots of parking there. Again, this means walking...

What drives me up the wall in any parking area are the idiots who back up traffic waiting for a stall right as close as possible to the store/mall. I can't fathom the laziness people have that they can't walk 100 yards and would rather waste everyone else's time... at least pull to the side so we can all go around while you wait...

Comment

da circle jerk thang at Palomino's.
        da buggah so tight ya need vaseline goin tru it.
        Two cars can NOT go both ways.
        Alledgedly, the maker of this torture device fled da country and is highly wanted.

Comment

The other night in Restaurant Row, I was going to work and following this nice Audi sports car through the first floor, around the corner and up the ramp to the second floor.

Right around the corner some guys were getting into their car.

The Audi passes them, then notices the guys getting into the car. He slams on his brakes. Flips the car into reverse and hits the gas.

I'm a full car length, maybe a little more behind him, but he's looking at the parking space and not behind.

I hit the reverse and looked in the mirror. Car right behind, nowhere to go. Hold the brakes and brace for collision.

I hit the horn button just before realizing that he may hit me hard enough to trigger the air bag. Too late. BAM! A good, solid whack. (Luckily, the air bag didn't go.)

The guy gets out, looks at his bumper. Cabbage.

I get out and look at my truck's bumper. Nothing noticeable.

I shake his hand and tell him to have a good evening. We drive away.

A minute later, I park, get out and go look at the front end, again. Auwe! I didn't notice, he hit my bumper almost flat, so there was no "taco" action or other visible damage. But he did push the right side of my bumper about 3 inches in, so my passenger side looks kind of whack now.

(I did jot the license No.)

I know this is off topic, but only slightly. Grrrr!

I don't even know the "moral" of the story.

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

There's a building bordered by Waimanu and Kawaiahao that houses a circular parking ramp and parking is on the roof! I think there's a similar situation at the Ala Moana Bldg. (I think that's the name...about a block Diamond Head of CompUSA, makai side). I remember my mom having to close her eyes when I drove up or down that ramp 'cuz it made her so dizzy! The Queen's POBII parking, while there's plenty of it, there are tight turns that tend to back traffic up both ways 'cuz there's not enough room for cars going both ways at the same time to negotiate the turns.

And, yes, the Ward complex parking is completely out of control. Are there plans to rectify that?

The only time I have a problem parking at Ala Moana Center is on a holiday! Had I known it was a holiday I never woulda gone there in the first place! As already mentioned, the Sears end is the best. I'd much rather walk than drive in circles looking for a stall.

Parking at Waianae Mall is a cinch!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              There's a building bordered by Waimanu and Kawaiahao that houses a circular parking ramp and parking is on the roof!
              I know that building! I used to go to a video production company located there. You can get an aerial view of the Parking Spiral of Death here.

I love Costco parking lots. Only the absolute worst driver could park bad enough there to inconvenience adjacent cars. Which isn't to say I haven't seen it happen.

Comment

Parking is always an issue that dictates how frequently I patronize different businesses or even go to certain areas. If parking is free and plentiful, then the chances of I becoming a regular are quite high. If not, I tend to avoid those places with lousy or expensive parking. That said here are a few places that stand out.

WORST PARKING

- As previously mentioned Ward Centre... and I have to say the entire Ward area complex fromt the Diamond Head end near the new high rises to Ward Ave. that includes the area where Sports Authority (the old Gem store) now sits. Parking is very difficult to find at times ever since the place was redeveloped. The only redeeming quality is that it is still free.

- The Waimea Town Center on the Big Island in Kamuela. This is a very popular shopping spot where KTA is the major anchor tennant. The problem is that when the place was built, in order for them to meet the necessary quota, they painted the parking stalls too narrow... all of them. It was tough when my folks used to have a big Ford Granada and they had to park the thing. Lucky they now have a Toyota Corolla. Stlll you have to deal with squeezing between large SUVs and pickups which are very plentiful in Waimea. Or worse when one of the bigger vehicles is parked halfway into the stall next to you and you cannot even open the door of your car.

- Aloha Tower Marketplace, probably becuase parking is scarce and very expensive.

- Downtown Honolulu in general... scarce parking and expensive.

- Kapiolani Park area on the weekends and holidays.

BEST PARKING PLACES

- Ala Moana Shopping Center: They usually have plenty of parking and all of it is free, which is a requirement for any retail complex to draw and keep customers coming back... free parking. On holiday if I have to go there I also tend to try and park far away down by the makai side of Sears and just walk the distance instead of getting all frustrated looking for closer parking.

- Anywhere where it is free and plentiful.
                Last edited by mel; April 9, 2006, 08:40 AM. Reason: corrected name of Waimea Town Center
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I know that building! I used to go to a video production company located there. You can get an aerial view of the Parking Spiral of Death here.

I love Costco parking lots. Only the absolute worst driver could park bad enough there to inconvenience adjacent cars. Which isn't to say I haven't seen it happen.
                  Did you go to Island Post or, possibly, the production company that used to share space with IP? Hmmm...did I send you there?

Costco's smart to allow room to open car doors wide enough in which to get the plethora of large boxes customers tend fill. Yes, I'm guilty!

BTW, I love the Google Earth maps you share! I spend way too much time moving 'em around and identifying buildings. In the link above I think I saw my car in my office parking lot!

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    [...]- Downtown Honolulu in general... scarce parking and expensive.[...]
                    While not free, there are a few buildings downtown with reasonable parking rates (for short errands!) because they're municipal lots. Hmmm...the 50¢ per half hour rates are now up to 75¢. Oh well, it still beats the $2.50-$3 per 20 minute rates at a lot of the buildings!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      While not free, there are a few buildings downtown with reasonable parking rates (for short errands!) because they're municipal lots. Hmmm...the 50¢ per half hour rates are now up to 75¢. Oh well, it still beats the $2.50-$3 per 20 minute rates at a lot of the buildings!

I think the key word here is "few".
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Victoria Ward first ramp has got to be the worste for me. many a times I've managed to scrape the underbody of my car, a G35 coupe, a lot of times. And my car isnt lowered at all...I can only imagine the horror I'll be in store when I get my aftermarket suspension in. I think I'm going to park over on Starbucks side to avoid that ramp.
                        www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          I think the key word here is "few".
                          Six is better than none and I've always been able to find a parking stall. I guess it's the same theory as the glass being half empty or half full.

Comment

I'll say this... downtown parking is probably only slightly better than Waikiki, where I don't think there are even 3 public parking facilities around except for on street and Kapiolani Park / Zoo area. Most of the private places are very expensive unless you spend more money at the businesses that validate.

Luckily I rarely venture into Waikiki for any business.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Hyatt Regency parking lot is the worst. It is narrow and there are not much stalls on each level. I guess they didn't have much space to build a wider structure.
                              Another place I have a hard time finding parking is in the municipal lot in Kaimuki. During mealtimes even the stalls in the boonies are all taken and i've had to circle for 15-20 minutes to get a stall.

Comment

Working...
                              X