Malama 'aina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malama 'aina

I think today's Star Bulletin lead editorial says it all: Why is Hawai'i not doing more to preserve the very thing that is driving its economy? How many more "perfect storms" like the fiasco in the Ala Wai is it going to take before everyone who lives in Hawai'i realizes that it's not just a matter of repairing the infrastructure, but more a critical need to address the possibility that maybe there are too many people living in the 'aina for it to viably support?

"Repairing our infrastructure is obviously needed. Yet, while necessary, it is not sufficient. What is required is a shift in our collective thinking, so that we will take steps to protect our aina and actively ensure that we have sustainable vs. shortsighted growth. If this is a wake-up call, then what do we learn from it and what do we do about it?

We can start by not remaining in denial about the significance and the fragility of our environment. Already some act as if we have successfully dodged a bullet. The feeling is that this was just a highly unusual, rare occurrence. Perhaps a hundred-year flood. Yet with record numbers of hurricanes and tornadoes and flooding around the country and the world, does anyone really feel confident that this was an event that will never be repeated in our lifetime?..."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X