Friday brought sad & happy news in Hawaiian music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday brought sad & happy news in Hawaiian music

On the sad side: Cyril Pahinui's wife, Charmagne, passed away while he was on tour; he was just here in Seattle a week ago - he's decided to finish the tour.

On the happy side: Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & her fiance had their baby.

I haven't been able to get any other details on these stories yet, though I know that people can e-mail condolences to Uncle Cyril at:
    friendsofunclecNOSPAM AT NOSPAMyahoo.com
    (you know how to tweak that address...)

Re: Friday brought sad & happy news in Hawaiian music

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

On the sad side: Cyril Pahinui's wife, Charmagne, passed away while he was on tour; he was just here in Seattle a week ago - he's decided to finish the tour.
    Mahalo for sharing the news, Uncle, however sad it really is. I can't imagine how Cyril will be able to finish up doing his current tour, but I guess it just shows you the kind of man he really is. I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the venues where he'll be performing.

The last time I talked with Cyril was a couple of years ago when he and Patrick Landeza put on a workshop/mini-concert over in Lewiston, Idaho. I also took them some island-style boiled peanuts for pupus and da buggah wen only laugh when I told him how happy I really was fo be able fo bus' out da pidgin once again talking story la dat wit one local blahlah.

Here's a photo of Charmagne and the touching story of what she and Cyril went through after a thief broke into the Pahinui's Waikele home and stole a number of invaluable and irreplaceable items, including rare musical instruments, which occurred while Cyril was also away on tour back in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      Mahalo for sharing the news, Uncle, however sad it really is. I can't imagine how Cyril will be able to finish up doing his current tour, but I guess it just shows you the kind of man he really is. I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the venues where he'll be performing.
      We got a call with this information during the radio show on Saturday - just as I had cued up his live recording of "Hula O Makee" from the Grammy-winning compilation.

The tour was in Anchorage Saturday, where I believe he has a daughter; then on to Eugene (OR) Sunday, and I think he has another daughter in that area. Having `ohana on the tour route must provide some comfort; as a friend of mine posted on TaroPatch.net: "Grief shared is halved."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

The tour was in Anchorage Saturday, where I believe he has a daughter; then on to Eugene (OR) Sunday, and I think he has another daughter in that area. Having `ohana on the tour route must provide some comfort; as a friend of mine posted on TaroPatch.net: "Grief shared is halved."
        The way that the pre-planned course of his tour will lead him to places where his grief can be shared on a personal and physical level with his daughters seems so poetically synchronistic.

Comment

Have any of the local papers had any information on either of these stories yet?
          I know Amy's baby is a girl, first name Madalyn...but little else.

Comment

Today's Star-Bulletin website lists this obituary ---

Charmagne Pahinui
            April 6, 2006

Charmagne Pahinui, 58, of Waipahu, a retired state vocational rehabilitation counselor and songwriter, died in Ewa Beach. She was born in Portland, Ore. She is survived by husband Cyril; daughters Carrie Wright, Andrea and Amber; brothers Pat, Charlie and Tim Drugg; sister Toni Childs; and 12 grandchildren. Services pending.

Comment

Working...
            X