Gab Gone Guam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gab Gone Guam

hello ... allow me to re intro duce my self.. i'm a fat kid from guam. i read that the coolest people on earf , da kind people , i mean kine , are fighting fo' freedom against the haole government....

do you think hawaii is more betterer as a state .... or independent country?

whys it so hard for it to become independent?

dzust sen dem out umbri! just playing

thanks for answering my stupid question
    Ebb And Flow

Re: InDePEnDeNc3

I tink all wil rememba ya. bye.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by newroots

whys it so hard for it to become independent?
      Why are you asking the people of Hawai'i why it's so hard to achieve independence when your own island cannot decide for itself whether it wants to be granted statehood, maintain the status quo, or be granted independence?

If I recall, Guam has had referendums in the past in which the Chamuru (Chamorro) have been asked where they want to go with their political future. And as of yet, nothing has resulted from them. Why? I don't know. But as it stands now, the status quo has been maintained.

If the people of Guam want to be a free and sovereign nation, I believe that it their right, and ultimately, in another referendum, Guamanians will choose independence. Inversely, I'm not sure if Hawai'i will ever be afforded the luxery that Guamanians have had with a referendum for independence in my lifetime.

As for Hawai'i and it's independence, to me, that's kind of like asking why the people of Maine or Mississippi haven't achieved independence...they are all part of a much larger controlling government that is not likely ever to grant independence to any of its states. Like Maine or Mississippi, Hawai'i is simply too valuable of an asset to set free, to the American goverment.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Guam is that important to the USA where it wouldn't consider granting it independence. It's within the realm of possibility.

But should Guam ever become a state, it would be my feeling that it would be an irreversible act. Once a territory becomes a full-fledged, 100 percent tax-paying entity, 'ol Uncle Sam seldom lets 'em go.

After Guam has been a state say for nearly fifty years like Hawai'i has, and ingrained into the American political environment, see for yourself how difficult independence would be to achieve.

Comment

Aloha Hawaiians,
        How you guys?Doing good ahh,right on.
        Well you guys know dat da government is responsible fo takin owa identity as a people and like try make us like da Indians.Braddahs and sistahs,we know down in owa big hahts dat dis is fo reel cuz.We no feet in dea da kine agenda cuz we know wot dey about.Time fo wake up awreddy and schmell da kau kau cookeen.Why you tink da economy so reep off back home now and all deez damn reech haoles goin ova dea.Dey dont know a teeng about us not won damn teeng.Pretty schoon no moa Hawaiians cuz da government li dat.Dats imperialism fo reelz kanaka maole.All da Hawaiianz all schtay up hea cuz cannot da kine survive ova dea,but we from dea.Sad ah---
        but fo reelz kine.Instead,da kama'aina force fo leave cuz da money but in comez da greedy haole dat alwayz en up Hawaii Kai shide owa some damn gated community .You guyz kno wot I mean ahh.
        Ah hui ho malama pono
        Wahiawa boy

Comment

Guam VS Hawaii

Hello Everyone:
          Started reading this forum a few weeks ago, and am thinking of moving to Hawaii. I have lived in guam, so how would you compair the two. I would love to live in Guam, but my wife doesn't like it there, because she says that everything is a hassle. (Any one want to buy a 41 foot sailboat in Guam E-mail me) I am looking at the big island and the Hilo area. Any info on how they compair would be greatly apreaciated.
          Chris

Comment

Re: Guam VS Hawaii

No snakes in Hawaii. So far I think, I hope,never use to be.

Define "hassel"?
            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

The weather in Guam is like kona weather in Hawai'i all the time. Hot, muggy, no tradewinds.

Comment

I lived on Guam for many years and it is a wonderful place - great restaurants (the best Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean food I've had outside of the countries themselves), incredible ocean and reefs, hot & humid weather (I like that kind of weather), lush jungle and a very cool mix of people.

That said, there are some serious hassles such as the typhoons which regularly rip through the island. The last one I went through we were without power for 47 days which makes for creative living.

The government is not unlike Hawaii in terms of basic incompetency and stupid ideas so I don't see any difference there except Guam has a much lighter tax load and it's actually cheaper to live there than Hawaii due to our high cost of housing. Another plus to Guam is it's really easy to travel to Asia.

Comment

I lived on Guam from 1969-1970, but I was a military kid living on Turner Road (Navy housing). I attended U of Guam for a semester or two, though. Back then it wasn't nearly as built up as Hawai'i was even then; the roads were all two-lane twisters. The climate was tolerable.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by c_a_otoole
                    Hello Everyone:
                    Started reading this forum a few weeks ago, and am thinking of moving to Hawaii. I have lived in guam, so how would you compair the two. I would love to live in Guam, but my wife doesn't like it there, because she says that everything is a hassle. (Any one want to buy a 41 foot sailboat in Guam E-mail me) I am looking at the big island and the Hilo area. Any info on how they compair would be greatly apreaciated.
                    Chris
                    HawaiiThreads say you have your email blocked from recieving emails. I have a beautiful lot, engineered house plans and county of Hawaii building permit for sale 20 minutes from hilo. Got any pics of the boat?

Comment

Guam has snakes.
                      Hawaii doesnt have snakes.
                      I'll take Hawaii

Comment

Guam is a special and lovely island, and the Chamoros are No Ka Oi!!!!

...but Guam seems to "Haolefied" for my taste. It seems like everyone here is trying to act like there on the mainland, and for a Kaamaina like me, that is da ULTIMATE turn-off.

If you were born and raised in the 'aina, will find Guam to be a dissapointment, because all those stories you heard about "Goobers" will turn out to be true.

If your from the mainland, you'll LOVE Guam, because everyone is trying to be like you.

Where Hawai'i has da best diversity on Earth, Guam is VERY secular(ie, Chamoros hang with Chamoros, Filipinos hang with Filipinos,etc.)

Everyone in Guam is ALWAYS complaning about not having money, yet they dont pay tax on anything, dont pay any kind of state or excise tax, and there leaders continually embezzel money from Federal Funds.

If you live in Hawai'i, be lucky, cuz you REALLY live in da greatest place on Earth. At da very 1st chance, I WILL move back.

p.s. they say "Hang Loose, bro" and call white people "Haole"........
                        ...you know what they say, "imitation is the highest form of flattery"...they can keep ripping Hawai'ian stuff off, but Guam will NEVER be Hawai'i.
                        Last edited by Missing da 'aina; March 6, 2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

My wife's from Guam. She didn't like the climate and told me if we moved to Guam, I would die for the heat and humidity. I like cold. She misses a lot of everything else, though. Mostly the food and her friends. She whips up a mean chicken keliguen (sp?), red rice and finadeni (sp?) sauce. Never did learn to spell those words. She also said I'd be more grouchy over there as the stupid problems that bother me here are worse over there.

Btw, don't forget the numerous earthquakes they keep getting. My MIL's condo has a wall that's starting to crack. She already had to get her floor "shaved" so it would be level again.

Also, there's only one airline servicing Guam direct from Honolulu. Needless to say, they can charge whatever they want, and they do. It's down right rediculous for round trip tickets. Last trip my wife took last year cost us $2000 per person. My wife, daughter and SIL. Also had to pay a one way from Guam for MIL and her dog.

Eh, Missing da aina, are you in Guam right now? Can you get me a coconut shredder? I serious. Can't find them here.

Get plenty Chamoros living in Mililani. Can tell by looking at the back window of their brand new pickup trucks or vanity plates. <LOL>

Comment

Howzit DRE!! Lemme go look fo' dat shredder, cuz as you well know by now, Guam dosent have alot of da thing's da 'aina has.

Airline fare? Hell yeah das lolo!!! 1500 fo' round trip? a'ole!!! But eh, fo' come back to my land, I'll pay ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!( Not to mention the Guam based flight crew give meaning to da word "Goober")

Guam weather is just like Kona(minus da aloha spirit, of course)

I rememba befo' I left, I saw alot of "Goober" stickers on Trucks, and so far I've met 2 people from Hawai'i(One Air Force, One Navy) and dey both asked me.."bra, how come u came here? dis iz like a bargain basement version of home"

...go figa.

p.s. mahalo's fo' letting me speak pidgin, it feels SOOOOOOOO GOOD.

Comment

I'm from Guam, born and raised. Left at 18 and have been gone for 28 years except for 30-day military leaves and 18 months I lived there after military retirement hoping to "crawl back under the rock I came from" to live the simple life. I bailed after those 18 months and came back to Honolulu where I had spent 15 years stationed and, until I moved to Guam, took for granted.

Touristy comparisons about weather and cost of living aside, choose Hawaii if you have no connection to Guam such as being married to a Chamorro and really wanting to "integrate with the in-laws" and live there for reasons of much stronger bonds than simply being somewhere tropical and different.

Comment

Working...
                              X