Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smello-vision coming to a cineplex near you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smello-vision coming to a cineplex near you!

Gosh, I wonder what kinds of smells would waft through the theater for a movie like "The Swamp Creature" now that a Japanese company has figured out how to introduce smells into a movie. And when it becomes a DVD, will your set be ready for "Smellaround Sound" too? It just doesn't make SCENTS. bahahahahahahaha

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 12, 2006, 08:53 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Smello-vision coming to a cineplex near you!

I'm VERY interested in how this affects a viewer's experience. Does it really heighten the sense of realism? Or can it have the same potential effect on "Virtual Amusement Rides", where some folks get nauseated due to the false perception of movement and how the brain interprets it. I know a few people who've thrown up after going on the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios.

Imagine if the "Olfactory Editor" screws up and gives you a scent of Strawberries in a scene where a car goes off a cliff? That'd just wreak havoc on the mind.

Also, can several key chemical ingredients be combined to create every scent familiar to our human experience? Similar to how RGB (Red/GreenBlue) can be combined to create every color recognizable to the human eye? If they can come up with that, it will make "Smello-Vision" a more practical and viable technology to consider. Otherwise, dunno about going to the local video store to buy "smello-vision" refill cartridges for every movie I own. My inkjet printer refills already cost me enough.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Some past attempts - a few serious, a few not so serious - at "Smell-o-vision" documented at Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        I know a few people who've thrown up after going on the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios.
        I can't get that far.
        I fwow up at the gate just lookin at the admission prices.

Comment

Smell-O-Vision for "Blazing Saddles"?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'll pass...on that.

Comment

Ahh yes. Formulating a chemical scent that can quickly dissipate from one scene to the next would be a challenge. Otherwise you'd need a high performance air conditioning system with super efficient circulation and filtration in the viewing room. I doubt the combined scent of strawberries, a muddy swamp and a sweaty body would add up to anything relevant to what's on screen at a given moment.

I'd also like to see more advances in Holographic Cinema technology, such as was fantastically employed by famous droid, R2D2 in Star Wars (silly reference, I know).
              Last edited by Pomai; April 13, 2006, 04:57 PM. Reason: Missing Link
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

"Enhancing" an environment with smells:
                http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...0371/-1/FEAT07

Disclaimer: ScentAir is partnered with my employer. This is NOT meant to be interpreted as a promotion of their product, just a story for reference.

Comment

Re: Smell-o-vision

It appears this technology has made a significant breakthrough as reported here.

It's one thing to come up with predetermined chemical "recipies" of various odors, but to have electronic "olfactory" sensors (the biggest challenge) which can digitally formulate any given odor will take this to a whole new level of possibilities.

Some day, Emeril! Some day.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I looked at the story on that link and noticed this sentence:
                    "But so far, the machine is too big to be portable — it measures about 1 meter by 3 feet by 2 feet."
                    Not to stray off topic (much), but is it normal these days to combine meters and feet in the same measurement?
                    If so, I guess I slept in the day they announced that.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X