Cecilio or Kapono?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cecilio or Kapono?

I was listening some classic C&K today and thought of a fun question for HT. In your Opinion, Who did you prefer, Cecilio or Kapono?

IMO, I like the songs of Cecilio more thatn Kapono. Sunflower, About You, and Here With You are my favorite C&K .Don't get me wrong....Henry's songs like Highway In The Sun are awesome too.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Cecilio or Kapono?

Cecilio, for sure. "Summer Lady" is a great song. And I like his voice.

Comment

They both compliment and harmonize with each other so perfectly that I can't choose. Highway in the Sun is my favorite song by them, so if that's the case, then it'd have to be Henry. But still, I like them both equally.

I watch Henry play at Duke's on Sunday every now and then, and I always tell myself "I wish Cecilio were here to jam with him". I notice Henry NEVER plays any C&K classics when he's soloing there. Only contemporary rock covers.

I guess the next thread in this series will have to be: Malani or Macky?
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        I notice Henry NEVER plays any C&K classics when he's soloing there. Only contemporary rock covers.
        the crowd, format and his agreement with duke's mangement dictates that. before he wen close up da aloha tower location, of course, he played it all. sure miss that place.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          the crowd, format and his agreement with duke's mangement dictates that. before he wen close up da aloha tower location, of course, he played it all. sure miss that place.
          That's a real shame - a waste of all that good material. But, the business side of music and all that ... at least both he & C are still alive and making music, unlike so many of the talents from that era.

Comment

You see, to the tourons there, if he would play C&K, they would not recognize it as a something they know, nor would they view it as Hawaiian songs. They wouldn't recognize it at all. and Duke's doesn't wanna do that to their customers. je'like they allow cheesecake factory and all the other corporate stores to overtake Waikiki so it no longer has a Hawaiian sense of place... but at least we placate those that want something familiar when they are hungry or thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              Waikiki so it no longer has a Hawaiian sense of place
              Not having grown up there nor spending much time around Waikiki at present, I couldn't properly judge what's left in Waikiki that is "Hawaiian" - is there much of anything left? Well hidden for the time being, I would guess.

Comment

general concensus that Tahitian lanai should have been given landmark status, and Canlis, Royal Hawaiian lawn, Queen's Surf, (and others) should not have been touched. But ya can't stop regress, or the blind chase for the almighty kala, which runs ruffshod over all, with a bulldozer, so all the cool old local tropical, Hawaiian structures and businesses are long gone and Waiks now resembles Wilshire blvd.

Comment

They should have left Queen's surf alone. many came for this kind of thing to Hawaii. It was a local's hangout too. Many locals don't want to come to Waikiki any more.
                  at the beginning of Kuhio Ave. that Mini Park with the Kalakaua Statue, was created by destroying many cute small local shops that charmed many people, gave a decent living to the owners and employees... and of course, that area was condemmed, eminent domain made it easy for a dozen or so local shops to be taken away from us and now, we have a lawn. Not as if we need one. a mile down, we have a good size park to romp around in.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Not having grown up there nor spending much time around Waikiki at present, I couldn't properly judge what's left in Waikiki that is "Hawaiian" - is there much of anything left? Well hidden for the time being, I would guess.
                    The FREE Hula show at the banyan tree near the police substation is one of the greatest "Hawaiian.... yes we're in Hawaii!" experiences available today in Waikiki. Halau from all over the island perform there every evening at Sunset. The only "touristy" thing about it is when the Kumu explains what Hula is about to the Malahini. Other than that, all the romance of old Waikiki is there. The beach, the sunset, the chanting, Kahiko and Auana are all splendid reminders of of old Waikiki.

Back to topic, C or K?

My next thread going be...

Hula: Kahiko or Auana?
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

kahiko all da way.

Comment

As requested, back on topic ---
                        Based on what I've heard them do post-duo, I prefer Henry's recordings.
                        Put them back together, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Comment

I would go see sum of the parts about every wednesday and friday. often, Mr. Rodrigues would be in the audience at his usual table, and of course, be called up and we would have an hour reunion concert, free, (well, the price of 3 beers) and just as good as the "official" reunion concerts they would charge 35 bux for a couple times a year there...

Comment

separately, i prefer Cuz Henry's offerings, as he is a friend and his stage presence is mellower... cecilio, is a lil too jumpy on stage. and slight overtones of sarcasm which creates a rift between the audience and the stage....

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              As requested, back on topic ---
                              Based on what I've heard them do post-duo, I prefer Henry's recordings.
                              Put them back together, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
                              Speaking of them together what the hell happened after they did Nightmusic? They never did that well( except for the tracks Life's Different Now and Goodbye)after that last "good" album.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X