Hula: Kahiko or 'Auana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hula: Kahiko or 'Auana?

Kahiko (ancient) or 'Auana (modern) Hula: which is your favorite?

Kahiko is it for me. The power of the pahu drum and intensity of the Kumu's chant often times give me chicken skin. That, combined with a group of kane and/or wahine dancers in unison with a gaze of seriousness or anger in their eye is just awesome. I can't stand when Kahiko dancers smile. IMO, Kahiko should be a serious dance, meant to stir the likes of Pele the Fire Goddess.

My absolute favorite performances of Kahiko at the Merrie Monarch were by the great Johnny Lum Ho and his Halau Hula O Ka Ua Kani Lehua. Awesome.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hula: Kahiko or 'Auana?

you have to define it? here?

I dun like auana or at least the part that morphs and changes upon the arrival each April in Hilo...
    New junk coming out alla time and they justify it by calling it auana.

and the webcast archive only has auana! da buggaz!
    Last edited by kimo55; April 13, 2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

As someone who dances both, I thought this would be a tough call - so let me put it this way ---

If I'm dancing it, I feel more strength in my kahiko work; that might just be a "masculine" thing, though. But watching a great `auana dancer will captivate me in a way that kahiko generally doesn't.

So, kahiko when dancing, `auana when watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        As someone who dances both,
        Ho!
        I am duly impressed.

usta dance kahiko often in Kailua elementary school. and i think intermediate... Gotta take it up again.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Gotta take it up again.
          I'd wager that you'd be good at it, too; you'd bring knowledge and respect with you.

Comment

I much prefer the older kahiko and some of the contemporary kahiko that's being interpreted from the old (like the hula "Hele Mai Pele"). Just awesome.

I appreciate the 'oli and the strength that it takes for the men's kahiko. I can sit and watch 'auana in limited doses, but I could sit still for hours, mesmerized by hula kahiko, both the dance itself and the 'oli. It gives me chicken skin. Just the pahu and the 'oli are enough for me. No need for the slack key guitar or even the uke.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2006, 11:58 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

I appreciate the 'oli and the strength that it takes for the men's kahiko. I can sit and watch 'auana in limited doses, but I could sit still for hours, mesmerized by hula kahiko, both the dance itself and the 'oli. It gives me chicken skin. Just the pahu and the 'oli are enough for me.
              exactly.
              my fave was about 5 years ago or so, kahiko, Kane... who re-enacted a Kamehameha Canoe battle and they all carried out their own Koa Paddle/spears that they each were required to handcraft themselves. The initial procession was led by this dude who stood about a foot taller than the rest of them. Incredibly powerful show. cheekin skeen is rite!

Comment

I like Kahiko when the kane do it.
                Auana ... the women look awesome.

BTW... does anyone remember the topless kahiko wahine during Merry Monach?
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

I remember. She wore too much maile.
                  Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; April 13, 2006, 12:01 PM. Reason: Corrected the greenery details

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    How could anyone forget? Let the story be told...

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      was it really that long ago? i think i have it on video...

"In 1993 the brothers found themselves at the center of another tempest when one of their dancers performed hula kahiko (ancient hula) topless at Merrie Monarch, after researching what women wore in Waipio Valley before Western influence. A combination of a kapa wrap, maile leis and the dancer's long hair covered the dancer's breasts as completely as a bra, James said. Even so, it was a move regarded at the time as disrespectful and sensationalist."

http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/17/features/story1.html

Comment

was it really that long ago? i think i have it on video...

"In 1993 the brothers found themselves at the center of another tempest when one of their dancers performed hula kahiko (ancient hula) topless at Merrie Monarch, after researching what women wore in Waipio Valley before Western influence. A combination of a kapa wrap, maile leis and the dancer's long hair covered the dancer's breasts as completely as a bra, James said. Even so, it was a move regarded at the time as disrespectful and sensationalist."

http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/17/features/story1.html
                        So was that hula captured on the Official 1993 MMF VHS tape as one of the "highlights"?

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So was that hula captured on the Official 1993 MMF VHS tape as one of the "highlights"?
                          Or two?

(OUCH! Sorry! Sorry!)

Comment

Miulang
                            dunno bout the official VHS, i taped the whole show each year back then...

Comment

dunno bout the official VHS, i taped the whole show each year back then...
                              I was in Fiji for awhile back in '92 - '93 and missed that one. I do watch most of the Merrie Monarch Festivals when I can. So Kimo, can edit a short or take a still shot from it to share?

I like Kahiko (alittle) more. Because of the power and presence I feel from it.
                              I like 'Auana for the lighter-heartedness and the dresses.
                              Last edited by Menehune Man; April 13, 2006, 02:22 PM. Reason: Add a comma...
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X