Willie K or Amy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie K or Amy?

Since we're at it... Willie K or, you know, The Diva?

In case you didn't guess, my own answer is Uncle Willie.
    Wish he was still playing at Duke's on the weekends.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Willie K or Amy?

amy.

wish Moe Keale
    http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/
    was still playing at da sheraton
    hell. wish he was playin anywhere round hea.

As with Lyman, too...

Comment

I LOOOOVE Amy! When I first heard her, I wasn't all that interested in her music, but the more I listened, the more I liked her songs, like "Palehua" (I love her original Hawaiian songs the best). Does anyone know the name of Amy's new daughter? Amy's a whole lot easier to listen to than Rai'atea Helm. Willie plays most Mondays in Kihei at Hapa's Brewpub. They were great in concert a couple of years ago up here.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Does anyone know the name of Amy's new daughter?
        According to Auntie Marie at Mele.com, "Daughter's name is Madelyn (sp?) -- with a great big long Hawaiian middle name. All I caught was something-something-mahina. 8lbs, 15oz -- 21 inches long -- born 'round 2a.m. Saturday morning."

Comment

I luv Willie "Da Hawaiian Jimi Hendrix"
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Willie is great fun in concert (especially on painkillers, like when he was here at the Pier), but Amy...wow, da tita can belt 'em out!

Comment

He he. A fun day of "apples or oranges" choices.

I actually would have pit Willie K. against Barry Flanagan, as I consider them both (arguably) Hawaii's greatest guitarists of our time.

From a vocal standpoint, hands down Amy wins. I seen her perform at several Ho'olaulea, including one she did with Aunty Genoa Keawe. Talk about CHICKEN SKIN! The power of her voice... wow.

Have you heard Willie K. rip out rock or blues? Seen him once on an Olelo channel doing some Hendrix that was beyond amazing. When it comes to guitar (or any string instrument), Willie's one of those who can play any genre and make it look as though he's been doing it for years.

When did uncle Willie perform at Duke's? As far back as I can remember it's usually been Kapena on Saturdays (at 4pm) and Kapono on Sunday's (at 4pm). I know uncle Willie has been at Hapa's in Kihei, Maui on Mondays for quite a while now.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'll take an Amy over a Willie everytime! HaHa!
                No, really Willie's good fun, but Amy can touch you inside, know what I mean?
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Luv 'em both. Each has such versatility. Amy's "Cry Me a River" and Willy's "O Holy Night" always give me chickenskin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    I actually would have pit Willie K. against Barry Flanagan, as I consider them both (arguably) Hawaii's greatest guitarists of our time.
                    I'd probably clarify that as greatest all-around guitarists. Others may be about equal in certain styles, but Willie and Barry can play almost any style.
                    And since you've brought Hapa into the picture... Keli`i, or Nathan?

From a vocal standpoint, hands down Amy wins. (...) The power of her voice... wow.
                    Powerful, yes. But I have yet to sense any kind of emotion in her vocals. She's way too robotic for my taste. She hasn't been able to touch my heart.
                    Compare that to the raw emotion of Uncle Willie singing, say, "O Holy Night". Stupendous!
                    And have any of you ever heard Uncle Willie break into an operatic aria?
                    Or comedically, have you heard his version of "We Are The Wolrd"?

When did uncle Willie perform at Duke's? As far back as I can remember it's usually been Kapena on Saturdays (at 4pm) and Kapono on Sunday's (at 4pm).
                    He used to play Fridays at 4pm.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Powerful, yes. But I have yet to sense any kind of emotion in her vocals. She's way too robotic for my taste. She hasn't been able to touch my heart.
                      And you've seen her perform live? Best have an EKG run, friend...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        And you've seen her perform live?
                        Probably two dozen times.

Comment

[...] Powerful, yes. But I have yet to sense any kind of emotion in her vocals. She's way too robotic for my taste. She hasn't been able to touch my heart.[...]
                          Art in any way, shape or form is always in the eye, the ear or the heart of the beholder. But, Amy can bring me to my knees with "Cry Me a River"; "Palehua", too...and many other songs. I never thought I'd hear a version of "Cry Me a River" that could top Julie London's. Amy's did...and then some. Guess it's a YMMV thingie.

Comment

I'd probably clarify that as greatest all-around guitarists. Others may be about equal in certain styles, but Willie and Barry can play almost any style.
                            I should've added Clayton Apilando on that list of all-around masters. Anybody agree?

Comment

i've never heard amy's songs... but willie k is really really good.. people like him alot here
                              Ebb And Flow

Comment

Working...
                              X