Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

I work near downtown Honolulu and lot of times I debate where should I eat. Should I eat at some of my favs or should I try some place new. There are many choices and sometimes I just wander around looking at menus and end up at one of my usual places. Any suggestions? Comments?

My favs:
    Komala Curry House - Indian Curry
    Leo's Taverna - Gyros!
    Otto Mezzo - I actually haven't eaten here in a while because it's sit down
    New Wave Kitchen - kinda pricy but good okazuya
    Cooke Street Diner - still within walking distance for me
    Maria Bonita - burritos!
    Krung Thai - nice setting to lunch
    Ahi Chicken Vegetable Poke - Good stuff
    C&G's - when I feel like eating teri boneless chicken
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Favorite Downtown Honolulu Restaurants

Originally posted by jkpescador
    I work near downtown Honolulu and lot of times I debate where should I eat. Should I eat at some of my favs or should I try some place new. There are many choices and sometimes I just wander around looking at menus and end up at one of my usual places. Any suggestions? Comments?

My favs:
    Komala Curry House - Indian Curry
    Leo's Taverna - Gyros!
    Otto Mezzo - I actually haven't eaten here in a while because it's sit down
    New Wave Kitchen - kinda pricy but good okazuya
    Cooke Street Diner - still within walking distance for me
    Maria Bonita - burritos!
    Krung Thai - nice setting to lunch
    Ahi Chicken Vegetable Poke - Good stuff
    C&G's - when I feel like eating teri boneless chicken
    Omigosh - I'd not read this before I replied to yer PM. Too funny.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

[...]Cooke Street Diner - still within walking distance for me[...]
      Me, too! Hi neighbor!

Comment

Wow. I'm not a regular at any of those places, John. Back when I used to work near the airport, I used to say, "If I were back downtown, I'd definitely take advantage of the wider culinary choices." But for the most part, I'm a creature of habit, convenience, and price -- when I'm eating out at all, which I'm trying to cut back on anyway.

I only tasted a bit of Komala Curry House's offerings during an expedition with GlossyP, but liked it a lot. More character than Zaffron in Chinatown, that's for sure. Heck, if it weren't for GlossyP, I probably would only know Subway and The Gazebo in Macy's!

When it's cold out, I like pho at Cuu Long II on River Street. For basic Chinese, I like Mini Garden on Hotel. (For more personality, Ken Fong's or Glowing Dragon. I'd eat at Little Village more often if I could afford it.) Sweet Basil for quick thai (buffet). Yasura for Japanese (ramen gyoza combo!). Though I apparently only make it there once every four or so years, Cafe 8 1/2 is a fascinating place with good Italian dishes...

I work near downtown Honolulu and lot of times I debate where should I eat.
        Hey, man, let's do lunch sometime. Heck, we can't be the only downtown inmates here...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          [...]Hey, man, let's do lunch sometime. Heck, we can't be the only downtown inmates here...
          <raising hand>
          Remember the SCH lunches, Ryan? How 'bout HT lunches?!

Comment

Is The Patisserie still open on King Street? I used to go to Woody's on Fort Street Mall for their hot dogs/polish sausage, but I think they closed the store there. It was near Rada's. Then there was a place called Minn's (I think), in an alleyway between Merchant and Queen across from the Financial Plaza's makai entrance. It served great fish and chips.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Remember the SCH lunches, Ryan? How 'bout HT lunches?!
              Absolutely, 2-2! As it stands many of us don't see each other nearly as often as we should. And when I do eat out, I've actually moped a bit when I don't have any company. Great conversation at a spot I don't usually visit sure beats sneaking a cheeseburger at my desk...

I'm in! Anyone else?

Comment

Absolutely, 2-2! As it stands many of us don't see each other nearly as often as we should. And when I do eat out, I've actually moped a bit when I don't have any company. Great conversation at a spot I don't usually visit sure beats sneaking a cheeseburger at my desk...

I'm in! Anyone else?
                Me too, me too!

Comment

I work near downtown Honolulu and lot of times I debate where should I eat.
                  Since Aloha Tower is 'downtown', you could add Hooters to your list. For the food, of course.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I live out in Hawaii Kai and would love some info on some of these places, if you wouldn't mind. I am updating a travel book for Oahu that targets executives. Are they still open? Is the food and service good? Got a recommendation of your own?

Here they are:
                    1. Hiroshi Eurasian Tapas
                    2. Matteo's (Seaside Waikiki)
                    3. Hula Grill in Outrigger Waikiki
                    4. The Willows
                    5. Azul at the Ihilani in Kapolei
                    6. The Pyramid (I thought this was The Pyramids)
                    7. The Pancake House (on Kapiolani)
                    8. Waioli Tea Room
                    9. Big Island Steak House (Aloha TM, closed right?)

Another area I haven't had any experience in say for the last 16 years is Oahu's club scene.
                    Is there such a thing as the Nashville Waikiki on Kuhio?
                    Esprit?
                    Irish Rose Saloon?
                    Wonderlounge at the W?

mahalo.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

fabulous. great people, fab entertainment. rite above duke's. owned by same company.

4. The Willows
                      great place. was closed for years, and reopened, a little streamlined in the decor dept. less thatch and etc. but great place.
                      Aloha tower location, all closed up.

used to be the Bum Steer, owned by Carl racey back in the 70's. i worked there after years at red lion Pizza parlor next door, where Chili's is now. It is in the oputrigger west hotel.
                      basement.

Irish Rose Saloon?
                      mah-ke die dead, due to the lewers st redevelopment.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        I live out in Hawaii Kai and would love some info on some of these places, if you wouldn't mind. I am updating a travel book for Oahu that targets executives. Are they still open? Is the food and service good? Got a recommendation of your own?

Here they are:
                        1. Hiroshi Eurasian Tapas
                        2. Matteo's (Seaside Waikiki)
                        4. The Willows
                        5. Azul at the Ihilani in Kapolei
                        6. The Pyramid (I thought this was The Pyramids)
                        7. The Pancake House (on Kapiolani)
                        8. Waioli Tea Room

Another area I haven't had any experience in say for the last 16 years is Oahu's club scene.
                        Esprit?
                        Irish Rose Saloon?
                        Wonderlounge at the W?

mahalo.
                        1. Yes-good for cheap martinis at happy hour but the food is "pretty" to look at but overpriced in my opinion.

2. Yes--but never been there.

3. Yes--but never been there.

4. Yes--in March I attended a going away party there. The buffet was mostly local food. Scenic, great for groups. Service was good. They have monthly beer events.

5. Yes--I've heard good things but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

6. Yes. The belly dancing in the evenings can be fun to watch; I like their lunch buffet. Food is good.

7. not sure--never passed by it when it looked open; saw the sign there, though

8. Yes--enjoyed having lunch with several of my girlfriends a coupla years back...very girly place

9. Closed

Yes, all the clubs/bars you mentioned exist. The big night for W is Fri night, a meat-market, see and be seen, dress code kinda place--avg crowd is late 20s/early 30s young professional. Nashville is definitely the place if you are into country music. Irish Rose closed currently due to contruction in the area but is supposed to reopen. Only been to Espirit a few times, and the nights I went it was more of a 30s to 40s age crowd, though I've heard they have a Latin night now too.

Comment

I'm in! Anyone else?
                          Sure, I'm in! Of course, it'll be breakfast for me ...

Comment

mahalo.
                            This is a pretty good general article about nightlife in Waikiki that's targeted toward the more upscale crowd:
                            http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/14214356.htm

If you are targeting exectutives, you may want to cover these bars/clubs too (all links are to the homepages for the clubs themselves, unless otherwise noted:

--Fashion 45 (where Maze used to be)

--Feng Shui

--O Lounge

--Ocean Club

--Koi Sake/sushi bar (this is a review for Koi from Honolulu Advertiser)

--Sansei's new location in Waikiki

--Lewer's Lounge

--Skyline

--Deep Blue (jazz supper club) (from Midweek)

--Chai's Island Bistro and John Dominis also, I believe, are trying to expand to accomodate the nightlife crowds.

--Martini nights at: Indigo's, Nick's Fishmarket, Hiroshi
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; April 14, 2006, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Maddie and i wen celebrate my B day at Aaron's top of ala moana hotel. We danced holes in the floor.
                              we didn't cut a rug. we shredded it.
                              (There's that shred again)
                              Fun live band.
                              Good service great bartenders.
                              go for didin, stay for the mew sick.

Comment

Working...
                              X