Shrinkwrap services?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrinkwrap services?

I make my grandsons mini iMovies of various subjects of interests I think they might like. I burn it to a DVD and personalize the label and jewel case cover. I'd love to get it shrinkwrapped to give it more of a store bought, professional look. Does anyone know of a company on Oahu that provides this service for such a small order? Mahalo...

Re: Shrinkwrap services?

Hey Tutu!

You MIGHT want to try Ben Franklin or, the name ecapes me, the company that sells boxes here.

When I worked at The Art Board years ago, we'd put a piece of plastic around a matted print and use the blow dryer to fuse it shut and airtight. I was amazed that it was just a hairdryer that did it. It was one of those hand-held dryer gun type things. You might have one in you bathroom? Why not test a piece of plastic wrap around something and see how it works? As I recall, if you weren't careful, the dryer would melt it quickly, so it was the kind of operation where you'd have to hold the dryer away at a perfect distance. It's quick, too.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It's not shrink wrapping, but I know you can also buy soft plastic DVD cases like the ones movies come in, rather than putting the disc in a smaller, hard plastic jewel case. That allows a slightly larger canvas for label/insert design.

I'd definitely experiment with plastic wrap, with or without heat, for the look (if not feel!) of the store-bought disc. A craft store, like Lavagal notes, would probably have plastic in varying grades.

I'm sure a video shop could do it for you, but I don't know if it'd be worth the trouble for either of you for just one or two discs at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
        Hey Tutu!
        You MIGHT want to try Ben Franklin or, the name ecapes me, the company that sells boxes here.
        GBC. Might check Floradec also.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          Hey Tutu!

When I worked at The Art Board years ago, we'd put a piece of plastic around a matted print and use the blow dryer to fuse it shut and airtight. I was amazed that it was just a hairdryer that did it. It was one of those hand-held dryer gun type things. You might have one in you bathroom? Why not test a piece of plastic wrap around something and see how it works? As I recall, if you weren't careful, the dryer would melt it quickly, so it was the kind of operation where you'd have to hold the dryer away at a perfect distance. It's quick, too.
          Now that you mention it, I've heard about using a blow dryer. I'll have to get mine out of storage! I guess the question then becomes...what kind of plastic? Saran Wrap kind?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it.

Comment

I wonder if you could use one of those Food Savers? There'd be some excess to trim off, sure, but... Hey, why not take your disc down to Costco when they're doing the demo and ask 'em to "preserve" it?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              I wonder if you could use one of those Food Savers? There'd be some excess to trim off, sure, but... Hey, why not take your disc down to Costco when they're doing the demo and ask 'em to "preserve" it?
              I have that foodsaver from Costco! The plastic is quite thick and one side has a bumpy texture. IOW it doesn't resemble the standard product. I guess what I'm trying to do is easily recreate what a new DVD looks like in the store. Sometimes being a virgo is a real pain!

Comment

try some of those promo products places. there's one on cooke st. near corner of kawaiahao, facing ewa, just mauka of tsukenjo's kitchen/queen st..
                then try shrinkwrap material at Fisher's. Wrap da buggah and use blowdryer.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  try some of those promo products places. there's one on cooke st. near corner of kawaiahao, facing ewa, just mauka of tsukenjo's kitchen/queen st..
                  then try shrinkwrap material at Fisher's. Wrap da buggah and use blowdryer.
                  Good ideas, Kimo, and both are walking distance from my office. Tanks, eh!

Comment

had a friend in the 80's who put out boardgames and i helped him assemble them. Shrinkwrap material was in a big roll, on a dispenser. We would pull out a length a lil longer than the box, slide box in the material, cut, pop it in the oven for a timed exact moment, and kinda magically, it would cover the box hermetically, then we trim excess off. Looked just as good as Monopoly packaging.
                    for just a few boxes, we would employ a blow dryer.

Comment

[...]Shrinkwrap material was in a big roll, on a dispenser. We would pull out a length a lil longer than the box, slide box in the material, cut, pop it in the oven for a timed exact moment,[...]
                      Sumthin' tells me that DVDs and ovens don't make a good marriage!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        Sumthin' tells me that DVDs and ovens don't make a good marriage!
                        No, ya put the DVD in AFTER!

oh wait...

Thing is, the heat is low, and you put it in the oven for a breif moment. Just for some warm air to shrink the plastic. Any amount of heat that would come near to affecting the DVD would by then, turn the shrinkwrap material to a lil small wrinkled handful.
                        best to use blow dryer. again, breifly. IF yer DVD steh all buss up, well, you may notioce by then, the shrinkwrap would be melted a-way!

Comment

No, ya put the DVD in AFTER!

oh wait...

Thing is, the heat is low, and you put it in the oven for a breif moment. Just for some warm air to shrink the plastic. Any amount of heat that would come near to affecting the DVD would by then, turn the shrinkwrap material to a lil small wrinkled handful.
                          best to use blow dryer. again, breifly. IF yer DVD steh all buss up, well, you may notioce by then, the shrinkwrap would be melted a-way!
                          I'll try it on a 'coaster' first. Have plenty of those!!!

Comment

use a toaster for the coaster.

Comment

use a toaster for the coaster.
                              Now why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Working...
                              X