Easter Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter Sunday

Anyone have brunch or dinner plans this Easter Sunday?

I'm going to make my very first attempt at cookin' a t-bird (not the car). I'm thinking of cookin' it using one of those Reynold's roasting bags. Has anyone on this board ever roasted a turkey using this method? A coworker swears by it, claiming the turkey comes out "falling off the bone" moist and tender. Still, the traditional side of me wants to stick with brining it then standard roasting and basting. At least, that's the way I'm used to seeing it done.

Also, do you recommend cooking the stuffing in the bird, or separately in a baking dish?

Any turkey roasting suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, we're also doing a pineapple-honey glazed ham and all the usual Thanksgiving fixinz'.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Easter Sunday

this is my favorite way to make turkey... no more getting up at 5 am for a turkey lunch/dinner

I love it! the meat is tender, juicy, and the skin is nice and crisp! the only way you can go wrong is by thinking nahhhh cant be done yet 1/2 hour more.... DONT DO IT....follow the directions exactly and dont forget to set the timer. no be scared this is by a world known chef...

ok GO HERE an follow the directions..... I have done it this way now for almost 5 yrs now.... I dont think I will ever do it any other way
    Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      Anyone have brunch or dinner plans this Easter Sunday?

I'm going to make my very first attempt at cookin' a t-bird (not the car). I'm thinking of cookin' it using one of those Reynold's roasting bags. Has anyone on this board ever roasted a turkey using this method? A coworker swears by it, claiming the turkey comes out "falling off the bone" moist and tender. Still, the traditional side of me wants to stick with brining it then standard roasting and basting. At least, that's the way I'm used to seeing it done.

Also, do you recommend cooking the stuffing in the bird, or separately in a baking dish?

Any turkey roasting suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, we're also doing a pineapple-honey glazed ham and all the usual Thanksgiving fixinz'.

The trouble with doing a turkey in a different way is that it seems odd to "practice" by doing it once before the actual occasion you really intend to celebrate. For one thing, think of the leftovers!

Lots of people use that method, of course, so if you follow the instructions I'm sure you'll be fine. Because we like it a little drier, we stopped doing stuffing in the body cavity a long time ago. The Safeway dinner we buy now includes a turkey which has three "bags," the first a mesh string (take off), the second an outer plastic (take off), and the third a closely-wrapped plastic (cut to vent). That makes it much like the Reynolds bag method, I imagine. Lord knows it's juicy that way, and it is pretty much "fall off the bone" done, at least the dark meat.

Good luck! Take a picture!
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The best, most juicy turkey I've ever made (that wasn't dangerous to prepare like deep fried turkey) is to brine it first. It does require an additional 12-18 hours but man, even the white meat, which oftentimes is very dry when done, comes out moist and tender. Use any brining combo you like (like this one from Alton Brown).guaranz going be one winner!

Miulang

P.S. Since the bottle washer in the hale is kind of on strike right now, I think this chief cook is gonna insist we go out to eat tomorrow!
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X