"The Land Has Eyes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Land Has Eyes"

"Pear ta ma 'on maf"..."The land has eyes, the land has teeth and knows the truth"--Rotuman proverb. Visually stunning story shot on Rotuma (which was annexed as part of Fiji when Fiji gained independence from Britain in the 1970's) about a young girl growing up in the 1960's on this isolated island and her struggle to vindicate her father's reputation in the presence of a British magistrate who doesn't understand the Rotuman language (which is deliberately misinterpreted by the local evil translator). It tells of the legend of the warrior woman of Rotuma who was left abandoned on an island by her brothers (the eldest of whom impregnated her) and how she survived to create the people of Rotuma.

The Writer/Director, Vilcent Hereniko (professor of Pacific Literature, theater and film at the UH Center for Pacific Islands Studies) and his wife (she is Jeanette Paulson Hereniko, the Founding Director of the Hawai'i International Film Festival) were present at today's screeniings to answer questions afterward. One very interesting discussion was over the rather benign portrayal of the British magistrate. Prof. Hereniko (a native Rotuman) explained that the Rotuma culture actually embraces the British government and regards them as their protectors, even though they were annexed to Fiji and are now part of an independent nation. His wife was quick to point out that this attitude shocks audiences all of the world when they travel because movie goers always expect Caucasians to be portrayed in a negative light. She commented that the attitudes of the Rotumans are so different from those of the kanaka maoli in Hawai'i toward the Western civilization, probably because the political situation in Hawai'i (the overthrow of the monarchy) was very different from the Rotuman experience where the people still own their own land.

It's already played to audiences in Hawai'i, but if it ever shows up again either on educational TV or in one of your indie movie houses and you haven't seen it yet, make an effort to see it if you want to learn about a similar but different tale about a group of indigenous people.

For more info: contact Te Maka Productions, 6105A Summer St., Honolulu, HI 96821 (website for showing schedule and other film info: www.thelandhaseyes.com).

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 16, 2006, 05:34 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: "The Land Has Eyes"

I really enjoyed this movie too!
    My wife and I went to one of the special screenings at Dole Cannery Square awhile back. The question and answer time afterwards with Vilisoni was very rewarding. It's true that Rotuma and the main country of Fiji are fond of their relationship with England, because of the fact that the indeginous inhabitants did keep ownership of their lands.

I checked out the DVD sales section and they sell Library editions, but no public sales copies at this time. I emailed Jeanette & Vilisoni asking if they will at sometime. We'll see.
    Last edited by Menehune Man; April 16, 2006, 09:15 PM.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      His wife was quick to point out that this attitude shocks audiences all of the world when they travel because movie goers always expect Caucasians to be portrayed in a negative light. She commented that the attitudes of the Rotumans are so different from those of the kanaka maoli in Hawai'i toward the Western civilization, probably because the political situation in Hawai'i (the overthrow of the monarchy) was very different from the Rotuman experience where the people still own their own land.
      and maybe cuz she is haole that we hear this angle expanded?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        and maybe cuz she is haole that we hear this angle expanded?
        Even Vilsoni said of all the film festivals this film had been submitted for consideration as the Fijian entry, Auckland, NZ was the ONLY place where it was not accepted. The people at the German film festival thought it odd that the Brits were portrayed so benignly, too, but Vilsoni said it's true, the relationship beween the Fijians and the Brits is very cordial. The magistrate in Rotuma is now Fijian, but he doesn't understand the Rotuman language, either. Jeanette said she hoped someday a film similar to this one could be made about the kanaka maoli ("The Land has eyes" took 7 years to make because of funding problems). I told her there were rumors about Hollywood making a film about Kamehameha I, and she just kinda wrinkled up her nose.

Miulang

P.S. most of the people in the audience were "university" types. As a "Seattle only" special, I bought a copy of the DVD (out on May 1) for $20. If you write to Te Maka, you might be able to get the same deal. It's a film worth keeping, especialy for the "extras" that will be included on that DVD. One other interesting thing about Rotumans: they are descended from Samoan and Tongan travellers, which is why their language is different from the Fijians and is also different from Samoan and Tongan (only about 13,000 people speak this language today).
        Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 08:06 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I told her there were rumors about Hollywood making a film about Kamehameha I, and she just kinda wrinkled up her nose.
          she musta been on the way to the buffett table.
          she know alotta about that story; good friends with dawny dawson and closely tied to the local in dustry. wonder why she would not weigh in with her perspectives about that?

Comment

she know alotta about that story; good friends with dawny dawson and closely tied to the local in dustry. wonder why she would not weigh in with her perspectives about that?
            Well, when I told her I believed in the Hawaiian sovereignty movement, she asked me which group, and I just told her that I was watching many of the different groups within the movement. Maybe if I had told her I was especially aligned with OHA or some other group she might have been more forthcoming?

One other "odd" thing about this film's distribution: it's available worldwide EXCEPT Australia. I wonder what the political implications are?

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
              I checked out the DVD sales section and they sell Library editions, but no public sales copies at this time. I emailed Jeanette & Vilisoni asking if they will at sometime. We'll see.
              I got a nice email back from Jeanette saying that the public sales edition of the movie should go on sale in October '06. In the meantime we can all go to the various libraries and request that they get copies. I don't know if they will though.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                I got a nice email back from Jeanette saying that the public sales edition of the movie should go on sale in October '06. In the meantime we can all go to the various libraries and request that they get copies. I don't know if they will though.
                Email her back and tell her you know somebody who was at one of the Seattle shows who bought an advance copy of the DVD and you want to know if you can take advantage of the same deal.

Miulang

Comment

Now, Kimo, I usually get a big kick out of your intentionally butchered spellings...but...it's DONNE!

Possibly Jeanette was exercising discretion. Sometimes that's necessary in the film industry.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    Now, Kimo, I usually get a big kick out of your intentionally butchered spellings...but...it's DONNE!

Possibly Jeanette was exercising discretion. Sometimes that's necessary in the film industry.
                    Donne! DhOOOhhh!

yes! I lazy sometimes.

oh and we saw that land has eyes is at restaurant death row dallah theatre. wheee!

Comment

Email her back and tell her you know somebody who was at one of the Seattle shows who bought an advance copy of the DVD and you want to know if you can take advantage of the same deal.

Miulang

Thanks Miulang. I gave this alot of thought and since I let her know that I wanted a copy and since I wasn't offered that option, I've decided just to wait and see what the price is in October.

Comment

Working...
                      X