2006 Hoku nominees announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Hoku nominees announced

The Hoku Awards will be held on May 31, and the list of nominees was just announced. The Star-Bulletins story is here and their full list of nominees is here ; the Advertiser's story and the full list is here.
    Thoughts, opinions, or comments? Discuss.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: 2006 Hoku nominees announced

Three nominees for Jasmine Trias? Interesting. She's been completely below my radar, but I guess she's still kicking.

Jack Johnson's in the mix for three as well, including "Composer's award for achievement in creating a new song or chant primarily in the Hawaiian language."

Some familiar names from the Grammys...

I'm a fan of Abe Lagrimas Jr. and friends, so I'll root for him under "Most Promising Artist."

Comment

And before a certain well-meaning but misguided person chimes in, I'll point out that yes, we noticed that Danny Couch got a nomination for best Christmas album.

Comment

Actually, the first thing I noticed (because I just seem to see these things) is that the list on the Star-Bulletin site has a few typos that confuse the information --- examples are under "Most Promising Artist" and "Album of the Year." Oh, Blaine...?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          And before a certain well-meaning but misguided person chimes in, I'll point out that yes, we noticed that Danny Couch got a nomination for best Christmas album.
          Oh, you BAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Oh, you BAD!
            Well, you know the saying: the best defense is a good offense.

Comment

In the "rock" category:

>>>
              "Chasing Dreams," Inner Session (Immense and Intense)
              "Dragon" Jake Shimabukuro (Hitchhike)
              "In Between Dreams," Jack Johnson
              "Journey," Mana 'Ohana (Lyri-Cool)
              "Songs from Haleakala Kitchen," Voodoo Suns (Tripod Music)
              <<<

Aside from Shimabukuro and Johnson (and vague recollections of Inner Session), I've never heard of any of these bands. And I'm not exactly living in a cave in the rock scene here in Hawaii...

... so I went and did a little crackspace search and found these mystery bands, which sound pretty much like, uh, Jack Johnson. And Shimabukuro sounds like, well, an ukulele player with a little distortion on a few songs. Not exactly hard core material.

I'm not putting these guys down, Jake and Jack rip at what they do, and the other guys may be good, too...but they are nowhere near "rock."

This is some twisted stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                Jake and Jack rip at what they do, and the other guys may be good, too...but they are nowhere near "rock."
                Agreed. "Contemporary", perhaps, would've been a better choice.
                And Jake should've shown up in the "Best Instrumental" category. Instead, they've got Troy Fernandez there. C'mon. Troy is good and I give him props for getting a lot of kids interested in uke from back in the Ka`au Crater Boys days, but he has maybe 8 or 10 hot licks that he just recycles time after time in song after song. So Jake should've had that Instrumental spot.
                Your opinion may vary. (The collective "your", not you personally, Dick.)

(Ooooh, new thread possibility: Troy or Jake? )

Comment

You've also got to ask, how many of Honolulu's "real" rock bands are actually members of HARA?

I agree... those choices look pretty weak compared to some of the talent that's currently out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Actually, the first thing I noticed (because I just seem to see these things) is that the list on the Star-Bulletin site has a few typos that confuse the information --- examples are under "Most Promising Artist" and "Album of the Year." Oh, Blaine...?
                    Huh? What? Where? Why? Oh. Did I fix it OK?

Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                      Huh? What? Where? Why? Oh. Did I fix it OK?

Blaine
                      Not quite, mi amigo. The Album of the Year listing says:

" 'E," Natalie Ai Kam Sean Na'auao, producer

which smashes a few too many lines together, creates a wrong impression, and misses an album altogether. It should read:

" 'E," Natalie Ai Kamau'u (Keko), 'Iolani Kamau'u, Natalie Ai Kamau'u and Dave Tucciarone, producers

"He 'Olu," Holunape (Roy Sakuma), Holunape and Charley Lukela, producers

"Ka 'Eha Ke Aloha," Sean Na'auao (Poi Pounder), Sean Na'auao, producer

Comment

How can the Hokus mean anything any more when the majority of the local music today are BAD covers of crappy songs? Why are so many bands in the islands cover bands ? What happened to the Kalapanas, C&K, and Country Comforts? Jack Johnson proves original music can be popular, STOP BEING LAZY HAWAII LOCAL BANDS!
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

I think Bruddah Sean (when he's singing mele and not that gawd awful Jawaiian) ROCKS. I'm glad he's one of the nominees. He's such a talented entertainer...kolohe, too. Cody is wonderful too. Maui boy from Hana. Gotta love that.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; April 19, 2006, 09:31 AM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For those who may not be aware, the Hoku awards are presented by the Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts.
                            Their website is at http://www.nahenahe.net/HARA/index.html . I checked it a moment ago out of curiosity and, as usual, it hasn't been updated in eons. There is no list of the nominees on the HARA website, and on the Board Of Directors page it still lists the 2004 directors.
                            Sheesh.
                            That's just one example of why many folks complain about HARA.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              For those who may not be aware, the Hoku awards are presented by the Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts.
                              Their website is at http://www.nahenahe.net/HARA/index.html . I checked it a moment ago out of curiosity and, as usual, it hasn't been updated in eons. There is no list of the nominees on the HARA website, and on the Board Of Directors page it still lists the 2004 directors.
                              Sheesh.
                              That's just one example of why many folks complain about HARA.
                              Maybe dey running on "Hawaiian time", no? Maybe next week you going see the 2005 list of directors!

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X