Merrie Monarch 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrie Monarch 2006

As I sit here, moved to tears, for the beauty and artistic grace that my eyes and ears behold, I must say that the Hula is very special and unique.

My 4 year old is just watchin and dancin her butt off.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Merrie Monarch 2006

So, who's watching this year's Merrie Monarch festival? Any friends or family you're looking forward to seeing? Any performances leave you breathless?

It's just getting started tonight with Miss Aloha Hula. Tomorrow is Kahiko, and Saturday is Auana.

Lots of online features at the KITV site, including a live video stream plus archives of several past years' performances.

Random technical observation: The closed captioner persisted for some time in spelling "hula" as "hoola." And it's fun watching as he or she has to give up the ghost when the Hawaiian language starts flowing freely.

Comment

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Yep! What Tim says. For me it's chickenskin time.

Comment

All the performances are incredible, but the solo performers are the ones that really put a catch in my throat. So many of them are putting everything into their dance. You can't help but feel for them, with them, and feel everything - pride, awe, yearning, sadness, joy.

Comment

Bummer that Johnny Lum Ho is sitting out this year.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So who caught Kimo Kahoano scolding the audience member after the first dancer left the stage?

A man sitting in the bleachers behind the dancer got a phone call during the first dancer's performance. He answered his cell and was caught doing so on camera. Somebody probably called him to let him know that he was on TV. According to Kimo, totally disrespectful....especially since she came all this way from Texas.

You could hear the booing from the audience.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Merrie Monarch is spiritual.
              It is "chicken skin".

But the screaming and yelling and emotional loss of control at the awards ceremony ruins it for me. Juss like the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest. It's juvenile. Its irritating. It is not spiritual or classy or cultural to scream and jump up and down and act like 5 year olds for minutes at a time.

Too bad. Sad.

Without that, they would be absolute cultural spiritual experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                So who caught Kimo Kahoano scolding the audience member after the first dancer left the stage?
                what was that thing kimo flubbed just a few dances ago?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  what was that thing kimo flubbed just a few dances ago?
                  Kimo announced Bianca Costa (Dancer #2) when it was Sharde Mersberg's (Kamuela) turn.

The judges have a tough decision tonight. That's all I have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea

It's juvenile. Its irritating. It is not spiritual or classy or cultural to scream and jump up and down and act like 5 year olds for minutes at a time.
                    IMHO, if you want spiritual, classy or cultural, you can always go to the Bishop Museum.

The Merrie Monarch is REAL...it's NOW...it's ELECTRIC. It's the culmination of years of blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice for all of the participants involved, and if they want to "jump up and down and act like 5 year olds for minutes at a time", I don't see anything wrong with that. Whatever it takes to keep hula and all things Hawaiian moving forward and away from how it was all suppressed in the past, I'm all for it. It's awesome to see such grace under pressure, and if they happen to win anything at the end of the day, sometimes no can help if the grace gives way to unbridled celebration, because they all deserve it, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                      But the screaming and yelling and emotional loss of control at the awards ceremony ruins it for me.
                      just try performing something in front of millions... after prepping and practicing for gawd knows how long. Ya go bonkers afterwards. even if you are on the periphery of the energy.

(just try not to. ya can't)
                      Last edited by kimo55; April 20, 2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        IMHO, if you want spiritual, classy or cultural, you can always go to the Bishop Museum.

The Merrie Monarch is REAL...it's NOW...it's ELECTRIC. It's the culmination of years of blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice for all of the participants involved, and if they want to "jump up and down and act like 5 year olds for minutes at a time", I don't see anything wrong with that. Whatever it takes to keep hula and all things Hawaiian moving forward and away from how it was all suppressed in the past, I'm all for it. It's awesome to see such grace under pressure, and if they happen to win anything at the end of the day, sometimes no can help if the grace gives way to unbridled celebration, because they all deserve it, IMHO.
                        I agree 100%.

Regarding the previous comment about Song Contest and the juvenile behavior that goes with it...well, what do you expect when you have 1800 high school kids?

Last year, Robert Cazimero practically floated across the stage as his Halau Na Kamalei won award after award. Here we have someone who practically epitomizes what we know as the Hawaiian Renaissance. It was a beautiful sight.

Showing celebration and joy after months of hard work preparing is nothing out of the ordinary. There's nothing disrespectful about it. I don't think it's fair to criticize them because they want to show that they're happy.

If their kumu thinks it's okay...then who are we to say otherwise?

Comment

OMG...Bianca Costa dancing to the Caz! WOW! I need to take a hot shower to get rid of my chickenskin.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            OMG...Bianca Costa dancing to the Caz! WOW! I need to take a hot shower to get rid of my chickenskin.

Only the best for Don Ho's granddaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                              Only the best for Don Ho's granddaughter.
                              She's absolutely gorgeous.

So, that makes Hoku Bianca's auntie?! Jeez...that's starting to sound like my family!

Comment

Working...
                              X