Aloha mai...I'm new, but not really!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha mai...I'm new, but not really!

You'd think that my first post would be in here...but nooooo...it had to be in a thread about Merrie Monarch! Go figure! Anyway, I've been a lurker here for the past year or so before I decided to finally bite the bullet and start posting.

Aloha everyone, my name is Kalikolehua, a name which reflects my father's roots from the Big Island. I have an American name, but I choose to go by Lei Liko, a nickname given to me by my late tutu, to preserve anonymity.

I'm in my mid-late 20's (depends on what you consider is the cutoff) and I currently work in the non-profit sector begging all the rich people, corporations, and foundations for money so that the suffering and less fortunate have a chance to share in opportunities.

My late father was a retired Army SGTMAJ, and I was born in Fort Bragg, NC. My father's family hails from Naalehu on the Big Island. His background was Japanese and Hawaiian, the son of an immigrant and a maoli. Times were tough back then, so he was eventually adopted by a loving Filipino family, where I received my last name. My mother was born in Badoc, Ilocos Norte in the Philippines, but immigrated to Hanamaulu, Kauai when she was a young girl. I am the youngest of 6 between my mother and father, and also now the youngest of 2 stepsisters through my mom and stepdad. Luckily, when I was born, my father was nearing retirement, so I was blessed with not being an Army brat. I was 3 when we moved back, and am proud to say that I am a product of 13 years of Catholic school in Honolulu. My education continued at Indiana University-Bloomington for one year, and then completed my studies at UH-Manoa, where I am in the processing of obtaining my MEd.

I've had every kind of job possible: teacher, airline corporate accounts peeon, admin asst, even waitress and bartender (that was my last job). It was through my bar job that I was able to connect and network with many of Hawaii's rising musical artists, some of whom I consider my close friends to this day. Though I don't work there anymore, I'm thankful that management and Uncle still takes care of me. Hanging out with the likes of Ale`a, Holunape, Na Hoa, Amy, Willie, Chino, Lopaka, Uncle Led, Kuana & Kehau from Na Palapalai, Mr. Sala...that's all just icing on the cake.

I love traveling...been to all over Europe, cross country US, Asia, Mexico, and Australia. I have yet to visit Aotearoa, and hope that I will do so very soon. My parents loved traveling, so I spent many a summer in Cape Cod and in San Francisco (were most of my maternal side migrated to). The Cape, SF, the Louisiana Bayou, and the Outer Banks are some of my favorite places on earth.

I also love hula and music. I doubt you could tell from my posts in the MM 06 thread. I hope to go back to dancing soon, once my job situation gets a little more stable.

If you made it this far, congratulations. You'd think I was potagee or something by the way I can go on and on!

That being said, I look forward to contributing, sharing, and learning more from all of you!

Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Aloha mai...I'm new, but not really!

Wecome Lei Liko to HawaiiThreads.com! I read "all" of your interesting and informative post! You'll fit right in with us! We're one bIG OHANA!!!!

Auntie Alyn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Wecome Lei Liko to HawaiiThreads.com! I read "all" of your interesting and informative post! You'll fit right in with us! We're one bIG OHANA!!!!

Auntie Alyn
      Mahalo, Auntie!

I just wish all message boards could be as welcoming and kind as you guys have been!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
        Mahalo, Auntie!

I just wish all message boards could be as welcoming and kind as you guys have been!
        Shhhh! Don't tell, ya?
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Aloha Lei Liko,

Sounds like a lot of living for a kid in his twenties! If your into Hawaiian music, check out the Taropatch website, too.

Comment

Aloha, Lei Liko, and welcome!

Maddie

Comment

Working...
            X