PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Trivia

Pedro
April 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
What was the first videogame made on what system and who made it? It was not Pong by the way and the system wasn't Atari, that was just a hint. Does any one know the answer?

helen
April 23rd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Are you asking about videogames for the arcade or videogames for the home?

Pedro
April 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
It's a home console system, so sorry I didn't make that clear for you all.

Moto
April 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
I was thinking Commodore or Odyssey. I know that they had systems out when Atari was on the market. As far as games, I don't know anyone that had one of those systems so I would not be able to guess what their game was. I hope I'm close.

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
space invaders. :confused:

noname

U'ilani
April 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
The first video game was Computer Space manufactured by Nutting Associates & designed by Nolan Bushnell; but the first interactive game ever made was on a PDP computer in 1960, created by Steven "Slug" Russell of MIT's tech model railroad club. [I cheated and asked my husband for the answer! :D ]

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
The first video game was Computer Space manufactured by Nutting Associates & designed by Nolan Bushnell.

cough, cough...I got 1/2 correct! SPACE! :D

aUNTIE PuPuLE :p

U'ilani
April 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Oops, Auntie, I steered you wrong.

I just saw that he wants the 1st "home console" video game...

My hubby says it's the Odyssey by Magnavox developed by Ralph Baer in 1972.

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Das ok U'ilani! No harm done. heheheh

I'll stick to my original answer.

Anybody got a problem with dat? :rolleyes:

Good.

Carry on.

Auntie pUpUle :p

Pedro
April 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Oops, Auntie, I steered you wrong.

I just saw that he wants the 1st "home console" video game...

My hubby says it's the Odyssey by Magnavox developed by Ralph Baer in 1972.

You got the system correct and the name of the guy correct but can you guess the game now? Remember it's the first game of that system. (Drum Rolls) and the answer is?

scrivener
April 23rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
According to the Odyssey FAQ (http://www.pong-story.com/o1faq.txt), these games came with the original system:

#1 Table Tennis
#2 Ski, Simon Says
#3 Tennis, Analogic, Hockey, & Football (for passing & kicking)
#4 Cat and Mouse, Football (for running), Haunted House
#5 Submarine
#6 Roulette, States

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
According to the Odyssey FAQ (http://www.pong-story.com/o1faq.txt), these games came with the original system:

#1 Table Tennis
#2 Ski, Simon Says
#5 Submarine
#6 Roulette, States

Go away Scrivener! Not fair! You're the Trivia KING! :eek:

aUNTIE pUpUle :p

He's disqualified. His answers are mine. ;)

Pedro
April 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM

#1 Table Tennis
#2 Ski, Simon Says
#5 Submarine
#6 Roulette, States

That is the right answer, you rock. Here's another question: The company Sega was founded by who? An American? Or was it by a Japanese dude? What did the word Sega stand for?

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I no like play. :(

noname :p

Pedro
April 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I no like play. :(

noname :p

I guess game over for you.... but don't worry there's other games I will come out with later that will be easier. I don't know what it will be, but you'll see. Until that time it's Video game trivia.

1stwahine
April 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
I guess game over for you.... but don't worry there's other games I will come out with later that will be easier. I don't know what it will be, but you'll see. Until that time it's Video game trivia.

Wat? You calling "ME" STUPID? EH? :rolleyes:

I said I no play cause ...neva mind.

Auntie Alyn :p

Menehune Man
April 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Wat? You calling "ME" STUPID? EH? :rolleyes:

I said I no play cause ...neva mind.

Auntie Alyn :p

Ooops I think that came out wrong, and no you are not stuped trust me, your name didn't land on the darwinawards, so you are far from it, I am pretty much sure. Hey I am signed on as the menehune man I guess I must be dumb (Pedro)

Pedro
April 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Sorry Menehune man. I was using your name for the time being, I could have posted other threads as you. Lucky thing I checked.

U'ilani
April 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
You got the system correct and the name of the guy correct but can you guess the game now? Remember it's the first game of that system. (Drum Rolls) and the answer is?Okay, my hubby (who's in the business) says 12 games were hardwired into the circuitry with cards that acted like dipswitches for changing the games. You're probably talking about tennis, but there was also haunted house, football, ice hockey, and more. Also, if you're thinking about Tennis for Two, that was the game that Willie Higginbotham built into a oscilloscope. [I have no idea what the heck hubby's talking about... All I know is that I'm the champ of Space Invaders and Ms Pac Man on speed. http://hawaiithreads.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ]

U'ilani
April 24th, 2006, 03:58 PM
That is the right answer, you rock. Here's another question: The company Sega was founded by who? An American? Or was it by a Japanese dude? What did the word Sega stand for?Sega was founded by Marty Gromley who worked at Pearl Harbor, along w/4 other people. They later merged w/Rosen Enterprises, founded by David Rosen, to create Sega Enterprises. Sega stands for service games.

I don't think anyone can stump my husband. Next trivia question (tapping toes, patiently waiting for a more challenging one :p )...

Edit: Marty Bromley, not Gromley

Pedro
April 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Sega was founded by Marty Gromley who worked at Pearl Harbor, along w/4 other people. They later merged w/Rosen Enterprises, founded by David Rosen, to create Sega Enterprises. Sega stands for service games.

I don't think anyone can stump my husband. Next trivia question (tapping toes, patiently waiting for a more challenging one :p )...

Edit: Marty Bromley, not Gromley

You got that right. Here's another one it's more on history and stuff. Before Nintendo made toys and video games what product did they make in Japan?

Moto
April 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I recall reading somewhere that they manufactured Hanafuda (Sakura) cards.

U'ilani
April 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
You got that right. Here's another one it's more on history and stuff. Before Nintendo made toys and video games what product did they make in Japan?They made Hanafuda playing cards like Moto said. After 100 yrs of making these cards, Hiroshi Yamauchi expanded into Disney playing cards, love hotels, toys, and virtual skeet shooting parks, before making Game & Watch portable games, and eventually straying into arcade games.

U'ilani
April 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Here's a trivia question for you:

What was the best-selling arcade game in U.S. history?

And how about in world history?

kimo55
April 25th, 2006, 06:57 PM
tetris or pacman

U'ilani
April 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM
tetris or pacmanPacman is the best-selling arcade game in world history.

BTW, Tetris is the best-selling home game of all time (based on game cartridges sold).

How about best-selling arcade game ever in U.S. history?

Pedro
April 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I recall reading somewhere that they manufactured Hanafuda (Sakura) cards.

You are correct sorry I didn't post anything else.

Pedro
April 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Pacman is the best-selling arcade game in world history.

BTW, Tetris is the best-selling home game of all time (based on game cartridges sold).

How about best-selling arcade game ever in U.S. history?

Between Pacman and Tetris I loved Tetris the most still do and I play it as often as I can. I got up to level 17 that was the highest I ever went and I think ever will go in my life, unless I become a god.

Pedro
April 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
The strongest most sought after videogame consoles in today's market are: Nintendo, Playstation and XBOX. There were other consoles that came out two years ago that tried to compete but failed in the market. Anyways here's my question it's a little harder. In 1995 at the E3(Electronic Entertainment Expo) nine video game consoles were Introduced at the Expo. They all had potential to be great systems, some's where powerful than others, while others lacked in power they more than made up for it with games. What were these nine systems and out of all them how many video game consoles failed in the market and which ones did Good in the long run? I mean during that time.

U'ilani
April 26th, 2006, 04:11 AM
The strongest most sought after videogame consoles in today's market are: Nintendo, Playstation and XBOX. There were other consoles that came out two years ago that tried to compete but failed in the market. Anyways here's my question it's a little harder. In 1995 at the E3(Electronic Entertainment Expo) nine video game consoles were Introduced at the Expo. They all had potential to be great systems, some's where powerful than others, while others lacked in power they more than made up for it with games. What were these nine systems and out of all them how many video game consoles failed in the market and which ones did Good in the long run? I mean during that time.Nine systems were not introduced at E3 in 1995. 3DO, Jaguar, and Sega 32X came out in 1994. Saturn & PlayStation came out in 1995, but they didn't have a working N64 until 1996. You might also be including Nomad, which did come out in 1995, as well as Nintendo Virtual Boy. When you say "nine", were you also including Tiger's RZone? FX CD was launched in 1995--but that was a Japan release. Not sure how you came up with 9 unless you counted the Panasonic and Goldstar 3DOs as separate units, but the Panasonic clearly pre-dates E3. Many of these systems were unveiled at CES, not E3.

BTW, who was the first mascot spokesman for PlayStation?

Pedro
April 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Nine systems were not introduced at E3 in 1995. 3DO, Jaguar, and Sega 32X came out in 1994. Saturn & PlayStation came out in 1995, but they didn't have a working N64 until 1996. You might also be including Nomad, which did come out in 1995, as well as Nintendo Virtual Boy. When you say "nine", were you also including Tiger's RZone? FX CD was launched in 1995--but that was a Japan release. Not sure how you came up with 9 unless you counted the Panasonic and Goldstar 3DOs as separate units, but the Panasonic clearly pre-dates E3. Many of these systems were unveiled at CES, not E3.

BTW, who was the first mascot spokesman for PlayStation?

I got all my stuff from a Next Gen magazine, but their is no fooling you is there?

Pedro
April 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
BTW, who was the first mascot spokesman for PlayStation?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the first Playstation mascot Crash Bandicoots or was it the tomb raider girl? I am pretty sure it was crash, before he jumped on to an all platform character.

I got another question. In 1988 Sony and Nintendo were trying to make a new system Called the "_______________" But later they decided not to and in 1991 Sony used that same idea and made it into a console of their own and named it the Playstation. Well the playstation didn't really come out till 1995.

U'ilani
April 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Wasn't the first Playstation mascot Crash Bandicoots or was it the tomb raider girl? I am pretty sure it was crash, before he jumped on to an all platform character
No. Hint: the character made it into commercials but never into a game.

I got another question. In 1988 Sony and Nintendo were trying to make a new system Called the "_______________" But later they decided not to and in 1991 Sony used that same idea and made it into a console of their own and named it the Playstation. Well the playstation didn't really come out till 1995.Sony & Nintendo didn't try to do anything in 1988--Nintendo was still sitting with the NES. In 1991, Nintendo tried to respond to SegaCD by partnering w/Sony to create an SNES CD drive known as the PlayStation. At the time, Sony hired an engineer named Ken Kutaragi to run the project. After Nintendo abandoned Sony and named Phillips as its CD partner, Kutaragi convinced the brass at Sony to continue the PlayStation project as a stand alone console.

Pedro
April 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
No. Hint: the character made it into commercials but never into a game.
I got my source of the net. It's a tough one. I will search the internet and my books back and forth until I come up with an answer for ya.

Sony & Nintendo didn't try to do anything in 1988--Nintendo was still sitting with the NES. In 1991, Nintendo tried to respond to SegaCD by partnering w/Sony to create an SNES CD drive known as the PlayStation. At the time, Sony hired an engineer named Ken Kutaragi to run the project. After Nintendo abandoned Sony and named Phillips as its CD partner, Kutaragi convinced the brass at Sony to continue the PlayStation project as a stand alone console.

I looked most of this up on the net mostly IGN. (I am opened to listen to other things as well after all I am still learning myself.) In each sight I visit states that Nintendo and Sony tried to embark on a deal in 1988 to make a CD ROM drive for the NES and at that time it was called the Super Disc not the Playstation. It was suppose to be release I think with the SNES so you could play both Nintendo cartridge games and Sony CD games of which Sony was suppose to be the "Sole World Licenser" written in their contract, meaning Nintendo would be under Sony's grip which scared the piss out of Nintendo.

Pedro
April 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=U'ilani]No. Hint: the character made it into commercials but never into a game.

It's a tough one but I will search the end of the net and my magazines for an answer.

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=U'ilani]No. Hint: the character made it into commercials but never into a game.

I checked my sources and this what I have found: It was Madam Sophia. I got my answer from a friend who's been working with Sony before the launch of the Playstation. Madam Sophia was shown on commercials to show off the polygons for their new system unfortunately Sony decided it wasn't a good enough mascot and dropped her, but she made it to a game at least called Battle Arena Toshiden.

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Here's another Question:

Even though Sony didn't make the Super Disk for Nintendo they contributed something to the super Nintendo what was it?

U'ilani
April 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I checked my sources and this what I have found: It was Madam Sophia. I got my answer from a friend who's been working with Sony before the launch of the Playstation. Madam Sophia was shown on commercials to show off the polygons for their new system unfortunately Sony decided it wasn't a good enough mascot and dropped her, but she made it to a game at least called Battle Arena Toshiden.In 1995 as Sony prepared to release the original PlayStation, the company spokesman was a character named Polygon Man who appeared in magazines and commercials--but never in a game.

U'ilani
April 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Here's another Question:

Even though Sony didn't make the Super Disk for Nintendo they contributed something to the super Nintendo what was it?The audio chip. I believe that's all.

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro]In 1995 as Sony prepared to release the original PlayStation, the company spokesman was a character named Polygon Man who appeared in magazines and commercials--but never in a game.

Cool I am still learning here, as I do this trivia, much for myself as well as for others who love to know about video games.

U'ilani
April 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Question: What's the connection between Chuck E. Cheese & Atari?

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
The audio chip. I believe that's all.

You are right, it was BSP Processor which produced sound for the SNES.

Here's another one: Who was the animator of Dragon Slayor for the arcade? Hint: He animated The Secret Of Nym, The Rescuers, and also a little animated part in Zanadu.

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The audio chip. I believe that's all.

Here's another one: Who was the animator of Dragon Slayor for the arcade? Hint: He animated The Secret Of Nym, The Rescuers, and also a little animated part in Zanadu. I loved Zanadu by the way even if it was weird. Wo I made a double of my reply on here, how did that happen?

U'ilani
April 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Here's another one: Who was the animator of Dragon Slayor for the arcade? Hint: He animated The Secret Of Nym, The Rescuers, and also a little animated part in Zanadu.Don Bluth, of course.

Another question: What was Mario's role in the arcade version of Punch Out?

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Don Bluth, of course.

Another question: What was Mario's role in the arcade version of Punch Out?
O.K. I hope I am right if not off to search I go. He was the reff was I right?

U'ilani
April 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
O.K. I hope I am right if not off to search I go. He was the reff was I right?Only in the home version. He & Donkey Kong were in the audience in the arcade version.

Pedro
April 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
They were, I never noticed that. I guess I never really played the arcade version. Mike Tyson kept kicking my @$$ with those one hit knock out punches. Of course I use to cheat to get to his level with the game genie remember that? I've never ever beaten that game before.

Here's a question: Noland Bushnel who was the creator of Atari sold the company but to who and what company did he start afterward? Hint: It's sort of like Fun Factory and Dave N Busters.

U'ilani
April 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM
They were, I never noticed that. I guess I never really played the arcade version. Mike Tyson kept kicking my @$$ with those one hit knock out punches. Of course I use to cheat to get to his level with the game genie remember that? I've never ever beaten that game before.

Here's a question: Noland Bushnel who was the creator of Atari sold the company but to who and what company did he start afterward? Hint: It's sort of like Fun Factory and Dave N Busters.And you'll see my answer on item #41 above (dated 4/27/06).

Pedro
April 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
And you'll see my answer on item #41 above (dated 4/27/06).

Right you are.... How could I have missed it?