Waikiki beach to be voted to be on Monopoly game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki beach to be voted to be on Monopoly game

According to CNN.com, voters who visit the monopoly website can vote for replacements to the infamous landmarks, including our own Waikiki beach. Voting continues until May 12th.

EDIT: It looksl like there's Waikiki Beach, Kalakaua Ave, and Diamond head. I'll LMAO if kalakaua ave wins!
    Last edited by adrian; April 24, 2006, 10:54 AM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Waikiki beach to be voted to be on Monopoly game

Originally posted by doc1456
    [...]EDIT: It looksl like there's Waikiki Beach, Kalakaua Ave, and Diamond head. I'll LMAO if kalakaua ave wins!
    At least Kalanianaole Hwy. isn't an option!

Comment

How come Waipahu not listed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
        How come Waipahu not listed?
        um, because its waipahu!

Just imagine filipinos, samoans, tongans, asians, etc playing the game.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Hey Makiki stay Da'kine!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Does anyone own the Hawaii edition of Monopoly ? I know they sold it at Liberty House a (long)while back.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

We've given several of those "Hawaii Edition" games as gifts... I think we held on to one (but lord knows what condition it's in). I guess they're collectors items now.

They were made by USAopoly, which still makes "special editions" of all kinds of games. There's a Las Vegas edition of Monopoly, for example, as well as Monopoly editions featuring Elvis, Sesame Street, and Family Guy.

The "Here and Now" edition covered in the CNN story in the original post sounds a lot like the USA Greatest Cities edition. In fact, Honolulu is represented there already. Except I guess in "Here and Now," only one space will feature Hawaii, alongside 21 other regional landmarks.

Of the 65,000 votes cast so far, Waikiki Beach has a huge lead at 63 percent (I guess this is pre-sewage Waikiki Beach?), followed by Diamond Head (35 percent) and Kalakaua Avenue (3 percent).
              Last edited by pzarquon; April 25, 2006, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Had to go and vote....although I can't tell you my choice or I may have [ ]

Comment

Heh heh heh. For the truly Hawaiian version of Monopoly, you get to build twice as many houses on your property if you draw an "Ohana Zoning" card from the Chance? deck.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                    um, because its waipahu!

Just imagine filipinos, samoans, tongans, asians, etc playing the game.
                    and park place going be the waipahu mcdonalds!

Comment

Waikīkī Beach lands spot on Monopoly board
                      Waikīkī Beach is one of the new squares in an modern version of the Monopoly board game, where the 22 national landmarks and their positions on the new board were chosen via an online poll. In Monopoly Here & Now, the prices have also been updated: Waikīkī Beach will now cost you $2.2 million, rather than $220, which is what the spot cost as Indiana Avenue. Landing on the space will cost you at least $180,000, or $10.5 million if there's a hotel. Honolulu's neighbors on the board are Disneyworld in Orlando and Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. Two other Hawai‘i locations were in the running — Kalākaua Avenue and Diamond Head — but Waikīkī Beach prevailed at the polls. Game maker Hasbro says over three million votes were cast this spring, and some cities took the contest more seriously than others. Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon launched an e-mail campaign to encourage people to vote, and the city is now crowing about its success in leapfrogging over other locations and coming out ahead of cities like Atlanta, Denver, Houston, and St. Louis. Top spot Boardwalk has become New York City's Times Square... much to the chagrin of Atlantic City residents.
                      It should also be noted that it looks like they included the Hawaiian diacritical marks, the kahakō, on Waikīkī. I'm pretty impressed by that!

Comment

I got the Hawaii Monopoly back when. My wife is a shark at that game.

Chance Card - Politics of NO halts your development. All other players must move to beach immediately.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

If the board version of Monopoly Here and Now isn't modern enough for you, Glu Mobile will be releasing a mobile phone version of it. Cool!

It would also be cool if the board version had game pieces associated with the properties. Like a Poi Pounder, Longboard Surfer or Hula Dancer figurine for Waikiki!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                          X